NBC Sports to debut new graphics

Georgie56

I'm not sure if I actually like the aesthetic.

Part of me wonders if there even is a new package, or if they're going to make like ESPN and give every "major" property its own look (i.e. Olympics, NHL, SNF) but then have something generic for everything else. Or if this is pre-game specific and they're going to have a different look (or chicken out and switch back to the outgoing graphics like Fox did last year) in the game proper.

This already looks a lot like their show graphics for both SNF/FNIA and their NHL coverage so I'm betting this the final look for everything.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of me wonders if there even is a new package, or if they're going to make like ESPN and give every "major" property its own look (i.e. Olympics, NHL, SNF) but then have something generic for everything else.

Yep, I'm having the same feeling too. All of NBC's custom gfx thus far retained the same visual aesthetic from the original, so it's kinda safe to say that the current generic package will live on beyond the Super Bowl and Olympics for some time.

Yep, I'm having the same feeling too. All of NBC's custom gfx thus far retained the same visual aesthetic from the original, so it's kinda safe to say that the current generic package will live on beyond the Super Bowl and Olympics for some time.

In that Adweek piece, Gaudelli said this would be a new graphics package for NBC Sports. I don’t think the executive producer for SNF would lie about it.

The 7 second possession clock turns red, as always, but the light immediately starts to funnel out, like a timer running out of sand. I also LOVE the glowing neon effect to the lit elements on the scorebar, another nod to the TNF package.

Are those inserts slanted? Wow, I thought those days were over.

Anyways, from that picture, here's what I saw...:

9bf81643fbbe856b46f2a7aac546c60e.png

I honestly like your mockup version of the scoreboard over the ones NBC just debuted. Both are still very nice in my opinion, but your font choice in my opinion fits better.

I honestly like your mockup version of the scoreboard over the ones NBC just debuted. Both are still very nice in my opinion, but your font choice in my opinion fits better.

The font is different but close to the mockup you did. Nice job!

Graphics look great so far. I'm trying to figure out why the font for the timer is different compared to everything else on the lower third. Also looks like they're still using Frank.

On another note, I'm hoping EA Sports can get to use the new graphics in their upcoming games. NHL has been using the NBC graphics since 2014 (NHL 15) but Madden is still using graphics designed by EA, which could use a NBC redesign.

Graphics look great so far. I'm trying to figure out why the font for the timer is different compared to everything else on the lower third. Also looks like they're still using Frank.

That's not Frank. An uppercase G has a spur and tail.

Sportsnet is more blue and gold for NHL for some reason. But their generic graphics for everything are predominantly royal blue.

I see more silver in their look than gold.

I'd almost say it's time for Sportsnet to update, either next hockey season or prior to the Jays home opener leading into the NHL playoffs.

Their animations and transitions are very 3D; Tim and Sid use a flat look for their GFX while retaining the font, so they have something to build on.

Before Sportsnet/Rogers bought it out, The Score unveiled a flat look from around the end of 2012 to July 2013. They never got around to updating the ticker and never really matched, but the look they used for their highlights was far ahead of it's time.

The NBC Olympics preview we saw reminds me of the ESPN College Basketball look.

Archived