NEW Hearst Graphics: Diagrad 2.0

LOWERCASE GUY

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kinda had a feeling Hearst would update its diagrid graphics. The camera mandate was updated in 1998 along with new cuts of Image News, though some stations used B Package (now Revolution). And then the "floating logo" graphics were just an update to the rings graphics as many stations were switching to HD.

I kinda had a feeling Hearst would update its diagrid graphics. The camera mandate was updated in 1998 along with new cuts of Image News, though some stations used B Package (now Revolution). And then the "floating logo" graphics were just an update to the rings graphics as many stations were switching to HD.

Floating logo - I don’t know what that looks or ever heard of it before but was this package* when WBAL went HD?

Edit: * If I recall correctly that this was a basic design used at many stations when they went HD but each was highly customized.

Floating logo - I don’t know what that looks or ever heard of it before but was this package* when WBAL went HD?

Edit: * If I recall correctly that this was a basic design used at many stations when they went HD but each was highly customized.

Yes it was that package. I call it "floating logo" because the L3s had a "glass" logo tilting from side to side.

hqdefault.jpg.2c399c1925df66bcbec3a3a5dd6a9d80.jpg

Shown above is when KOAT used this particular package (looks a bit different than WBAL because you can see red as well as blue). KOAT didn't begin broadcasting in HD until this past year, but they did start airing in widescreen SD in the summer of 2010.

*maybe except for WMUR. They might end up with an entirely different look (with elements formatted like the standard design) like last time.

Or maybe they'll get the current look. :)

To be honest, though, the new graphics look like they could be easy to adapt to WMUR's color scheme.

Yes it was that package. I call it "floating logo" because the L3s had a "glass" logo tilting from side to side.

[ATTACH=full]5261[/ATTACH]

Shown above is when KOAT used this particular package (looks a bit different than WBAL because you can see red as well as blue). KOAT didn't begin broadcasting in HD until this past year, but they did start airing in widescreen SD in the summer of 2010.

WESH had those graphics similar to WBAL when they went HD in November of 2007 and their theme playing The NBC Collection (Flagship) oddly the only one at Hearst.

WESH had those graphics similar to WBAL when they went HD in November of 2007 and their theme playing The NBC Collection (Flagship) oddly the only one at Hearst.

There were some mutations of that packages - different fonts and colors. But the weirdest was KCRA:

Do you have any info on the the timeline or the new music?

NBC stations by February 8 for the Olympics

CBS stations by March Madness

ABC stations by May sweeps

Music is just fresh cuts of the package already in place.

Let's keep track here (sorted by affiliation of primary station):

KCRA - February 8

KSBW - February 8

WBAL - February 8

WDSU - February 8

WESH - January 17

WGAL - February 7

WLWT - February 8

WPTZ - February 8

WVTM - February 8

WXII - February 8

WYFF - February 8

KCCI

WLKY

KETV

KHBS

KMBC

KOAT

KOCO

WAPT

WCVB

WISN

WJCL

WMTW

WMUR (modified?)

WPBF

WTAE

Let's keep track here (sorted by affiliation of primary station):

KCRA

KSBW

WBAL

WDSU

WESH - January 17

WGAL

WLWT

WPTZ

WVTM

WXII

WYFF

KCCI

WLKY

KETV

KHBS

KMBC

KOAT

KOCO

WAPT

WCVB

WISN

WJCL

WMTW

WMUR (modified?)

WPBF

WTAE

Would be interesting to see how they rank in Hearst. Like if Hearst's hub is WESH, WESH might be number 1. With roll-outs, do they start at the top in that company, and then go down the line? Or Big Shows driven like Winter/Summer Games, March Madness, NBA Finals Super Bowl, World Series?

Would be interesting to see how they rank in Hearst. Like if Hearst's hub is WESH, WESH might be number 1. With roll-outs, do they start at the top in that company, and then go down the line? Or Big Shows driven like Winter/Summer Games, March Madness, NBA Finals Super Bowl, World Series?

Aside from previously launching the diagrid on most of their NBC affiliates before London (in the previous post you could see that WLWT didn’t have it in time) there wasn’t really a specific order.

They have flagships - WBAL, WCVB and WTAE (sometimes WISN is included) that may get special treatment. But I don’t think there’s a pecking order per se. That being said many of their recent updates and upgrades have gone to stations that are at the top of their markets.

Or maybe they'll get the current look. :)

I don't think that'll happen. I bet there will be a variation of this new package that 9 will use, much like how the current package is similar to the (now-old) package but with circles instead of triangles. But don't hold your breath; keep in mind WMUR was the final Hearst station to switch off of the old graphics and music back in 2013.

Archived