NEW Hearst Graphics: Diagrad 2.0

LOWERCASE GUY

About half of each of their signals overlap according to RabbitEars.info. Plus both stations are carried on all systems together as WMUR is in the Boston DMA.

Huh. I've always figured WMUR isn't carried on cable systems south of the I-93/I-495 junction. But you're saying it's on cable systems in Boston and south of Boston?

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Huh. I've always figured WMUR isn't carried on cable systems south of the I-93/I-495 junction. But you're saying it's on cable systems in Boston and south of Boston?

That’s what’s been mentioned on here.

so basically if you lived in a town outside the 2 with a large roof antenna, you get both ABC's.

Provided it’s a VHF and UHF antennna you have a strong chance. Of course terrain affects coverage.

so basically if you lived in a town outside the 2 with a large roof antenna, you get both ABC's.

Which is nothing new, but I was actually talking about getting them both on cable.

Provided it’s a VHF and UHF antennna you have a strong chance. Of course terrain affects coverage.

Bingo. It's fairly hilly in the Boston-Manchester region. In fact, the NH portion and part of the MA portion are within the Merrimack Valley. I live just south of Manchester, but it wouldn't surprise me if I couldn't receive any of the Boston stations over the air.

Side story: I was a student at UNH in Durham, NH, back in the mid-'90s. One of my roommates freshman year had brought a TV, but the only station it was able to receive was WENH, the flagship station of New Hampshire Public Television (which was based in Durham), so I'd often come back from class to find him watch Sesame Street. :D Later on, we started being able to get WFXT, so Sesame Street was replaced with reruns of Simon & Simon.

KMBC has the new graphics, and a new logo.

[ATTACH=full]5915[/ATTACH]

It's awful. Were they inspired by WTMJ? Their facebook cover photo says "Today's KMBC 9" which makes me think this is a total rebrand, but for what reason? The old logo was old yes but it was effective, simple, and worked. Why ruin it by changing the color to red (when you still have a blue package) and put it in a box?

It's awful. Were they inspired by WTMJ? Their facebook cover photo says "Today's KMBC 9" which makes me think this is a total rebrand, but for what reason? The old logo was old yes but it was effective, simple, and worked. Why ruin it by changing the color to red (when you still have a blue package) and put it in a box?

I know right. At least KMBC could've simply put its circle 9 logo in red and not gone with the box. Last year, KOAT slightly tweaked its circle 7 logo to make it a little less 3D looking (it's still in blue and not put into a box); and its newscast name was put in a yellow non-italic Effra font (previously it was in white italic Effra), though the call letters are still in Bank Gothic to this day. Other Hearst stations didn't tweak their logos when they upgraded to the new graphics this year; so I am surprised KMBC did so.

I expect that the blue package is exactly why they went red. They probably thought that the logo blended in too easily with the rest of the graphics, while making it red made it more visible and therefore memorable.

As far as the "Today's" slogan - my sympathies on that one. Ugh.

How the new KMBC logo looks on the graphics:

[ATTACH=full]5942[/ATTACH]

And their full one per NewsOn:

[ATTACH=full]5943[/ATTACH]

If they were insistent on changing the color, fine, but it would have looked enormously better outside of that stupid box.

Welp, unless I'm missing something, that just leaves WMUR.

It would not surprise me if they just used the same package but instead of the diagrid they made the sharp angles curves like the current package. Maybe a slightly different or brighter color scheme.

How do reports from the DC Bureau appear (sidenote I can not believe its still in SD) - do they use the standard diagrid or does WMUR edit to match their package?

The "Today's" branding really dates back to WBZ's use of the "Today's 4" moniker during the early '80s; KTHV's former "Today's THV" brand was more inspired by WTMJ than this, and even then, that station didn't even include the channel number in the moniker.

The incorporation of the square behind the "Circle 9" isn't so bad, but they could have chosen a different shade of red... or another color entirely that didn't risk it accidentally being camouflaged into the newscast time/temp bug. (The section of the new bug where the appropriate station logo is placed, while usually blue, does change to red during breaking news segments within newscasts and breaking news cut-ins outside of them.) The "Circle 9" also could have been sized to touch the edges of the square, a la the current WJLA/former KATV "Circle 7" logo or similarly, WDAF's boxed "Circle 4" during the Newschannel 4 era.

The incorporation of the square behind the "Circle 9" isn't so bad, but they could have chosen a different shade of red...

They should just use the shade of red used for the box WCVB has it's stylized "5" in.

BTW, Is "Today's KMBC 9" the new general branding or the slogan? Is the logo and name being used in promos for the station's syndicated and ABC programming, or is the "Today's"-less variant of the new logo being used for that, and the moniker is only for imaging purposes?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived