NEW Hearst Graphics: Diagrad 2.0

LOWERCASE GUY

Looks like WESH and WBAL are the only stations of a cursory look of NewsOn showing new tease graphics during newscast studios.

[ATTACH=full]6235[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6237[/ATTACH]

Actually, KOCO started using those same teaser graphics a couple of weeks ago.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WBAL used them for atleast the 6AM (today) and 5PM (yesterday) while reverting back to the regular lower tease for the 6pm and 11pm (yesterday). Today’s noon used regular lower third but they only had one top story - the Putin/Russia Story.

The text style is a throwback to the previous diagrid where the video was in a box and the text style was above. I think the regular lower third teases look better especially if they keep the chip* (bug) on screen. Maybe it’s look better without the bug.

*I saw it referred to a chip in a rundown a WBAL producer posted one day. It was the first thing in the running order.

Also does anyone know if there’s a simple switch in the Viz or graphics operator to change the graphics on screen from regular blue to red. I’ve seen it happen a few times where a full screen appears blue or lower third and then it and the chip reanimates quickly to red. That’s one thing I like about this package when everything including the lower third is red the old diagrid logo would remain blue where this one is dynamic.

WBAL used them for atleast the 6AM (today) and 5PM (yesterday) while reverting back to the regular lower tease for the 6pm and 11pm (yesterday). Today’s noon used regular lower third but they only had one top story - the Putin/Russia Story.

The text style is a throwback to the previous diagrid where the video was in a box and the text style was above. I think the regular lower third teases look better especially if they keep the chip* (bug) on screen. Maybe it’s look better without the bug.

*I saw it referred to a chip in a rundown a WBAL producer posted one day. It was the first thing in the running order.

Also does anyone know if there’s a simple switch in the Viz or graphics operator to change the graphics on screen from regular blue to red. I’ve seen it happen a few times where a full screen appears blue or lower third and then it and the chip reanimates quickly to red. That’s one thing I like about this package when everything including the lower third is red the old diagrid logo would remain blue where this one is dynamic.

In ENPS, Hearst stations have a "Theme" column that allows producers to change the theme of lowerthirds/graphics in pre-production or on the fly. If they forget to change it before the show, and the graphic comes up on air & they see it as the generic blue, but it should be breaking, they can type "Breaking" into the Column/Line of that story and VIZ will change it on air so the TD doesn't have to do anything.

The HATMOS program they developed is really sophisticated, but kind of dated. I think all Hearst stations are stuck on Version 6 of ENPS because of it.

The HATMOS program they developed is really sophisticated, but kind of dated. I think all Hearst stations are stuck on Version 6 of ENPS because of it.

I remember seeing a demo of it when the first diagrid launched on Vimeo but went private. Pretty neat how in the field graphics can be made using Adobe Premier or ENPS.

With the new sets I’ve seen small monitors next to a producer or the TD showing the preview of the onset displays. Do you know if the Viz Engines are outputting 4K for the ultra wide video walls - I’d think 1080p would look pixelated. The most live shots or videos I’ve seen on the 6 wide one on WBAL is three. The stations that put a 16:9 live shot like WESH on the monitor wall looks like the TD puts the video up instead of the engine.

Also the HATMOS, I assume Hearst Argyle Television Media Object Server, from what I saw was mainly used for building graphics in ENPS and Premiere. That itself is maybe mainly a customized VizRT plugin. VizRT has plugins for graphics for most of the NPS and video editors.

I remember seeing a demo of it when the first diagrid launched on Vimeo but went private. Pretty neat how in the field graphics can be made using Adobe Premier or ENPS.

With the new sets I’ve seen small monitors next to a producer or the TD showing the preview of the onset displays. Do you know if the Viz Engines are outputting 4K for the ultra wide video walls - I’d think 1080p would look pixelated. The most live shots or videos I’ve seen on the 6 wide one on WBAL is three. The stations that put a 16:9 live shot like WESH on the monitor wall looks like the TD puts the video up instead of the engine.

I believe they are outputting 4K, but I never had the chance to look into the technical details of the equipment we received while I worked at KOAT. As for the live shots being routed into the monitor, producers also do that now too utilizing HATMOS, so I think whatever live source they designate to whatever monitor does run through the VizRT Engine. I'm not sure about WBAL, but for the other stations that have the entire array (9 vertical monitors), the monitors work in sets of three per source. IE: A producer can put a live source in the middle three monitors, and graphic elements on the outer monitors etc.

Even WMUR? (Had to ask.)

There going to switch to Diagrid 1.0. Afterall when WCVB switched to the diagrid and WMUR got their similar graphics they got WCVB’s old theme. ;)o_O

Archived