NEW Hearst Graphics: Diagrad 2.0

LOWERCASE GUY

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Talent opens have been out of fashion for over a decade. Hearst was really one of the last holdouts.

I think talent opens were on a case by case basis. WBAL did them for like a year when 1.0 launched and they usually were burrried halfway in show rejoin if they used them at all.

I really wish they would remove / fix the helicopter bug. They could easily place it in a graphic in that small slug/topical area next to the logo. With previous graphics WBAL used a descriptor bar with Sky Team 11 logo and part of an image of the helicopter.

According to YouTube, WMTW received them yesterday.

*ahem*

WMTW has the new graphics. As of their respective 5:00pm newscasts, WISN, KETV, KMBC, KOCO, KOAT, WTAE, WMUR, and WPBF do not.

Just uploaded a montage of WCVB's graphics and music

Wow. Color me impressed. The music and graphics really go well together and as I said before I love the "kinetic" feel of the graphics. Hearst hit a home run here.

Interesting they start out with the logo first. Most others start with their slogans before transitioning to the logo as the last scene.

Also they are advertising they are Bostons News Leader using October 2017 numbers? That’s a first normally stations advertise based on the most recent sweeps period or season to date.

Nice montage. Would you be upload montages of the weekday evening 4-7 and weeknight late newscasts in Boston? There aren't many online.

Still leaves us with WAPT, WTAE, WPBF, KMBC, WJCL, and KHBS/KHOG still using the old look. Like I said about WMUR, it's going to use a modified graphics package to avoid overlap with WCVB.

Anyways, this rollout is the fastest one I've seen as rollouts of previous packages took over a year. The second generation camera graphics took two years to roll out, partly because Hearst bought out Pulitzer's broadcasting division in 1999, and those stations didn't start using the mandated graphics until 2000 (only KOAT and WESH switched to the mandated graphics in 1999; had Hearst's buyout of Pulitzer occurred in 1998, all the stations would've transitioned to the mandated graphics in 1999).

Still leaves us with WAPT, WTAE, WPBF, KMBC, WJCL, and KHBS/KHOG still using the old look. Like I said about WMUR, it's going to use a modified graphics package to avoid overlap with WCVB.

Anyways, this rollout is the fastest one I've seen as rollouts of previous packages took over a year. The second generation camera graphics took two years to roll out, partly because Hearst bought out Pulitzer's broadcasting division in 1999, and those stations didn't start using the mandated graphics until 2000 (only KOAT and WESH switched to the mandated graphics in 1999; had Hearst's buyout of Pulitzer occurred in 1998, all the stations would've transitioned to the mandated graphics in 1999).

I think WAPT/WTAE/WPBF/WJCL will be the next ones to get the new look, while KMBC/KHBS will get their probably on the day KHBS debuts the new set

Talent opens have been out of fashion for over a decade. Hearst was really one of the last holdouts.

Every single station in KC has them. Others have mentioned Scripps and Tribune, you can add Meredith (KCTV) to that list as well. Citadel uses them (KLKN and WLNE). They might not be AS popular, but they're still used.

Big big fan of that music!

Still leaves us with [...] KMBC

I'm really surprised KMBC is one of the last stations.

One part of the package I kinda wish they'd alter is the time/temp bug. The order of the time/temperature portion and the logo bug placement should have been reversed, since the arrangement under the updated package makes it invisible on some 4:3 TVs (like the two Sylvania flat-tubes in my house that have black padding within the glass partition, which are both hooked up to DTV converter boxes).

One part of the package I kinda wish they'd alter is the time/temp bug. The order of the time/temperature portion and the logo bug placement should have been reversed, since the arrangement under the updated package makes it invisible on some 4:3 TVs.

Even as I say graphics are done with 4:3...I agree. The time/temp is a little bit too outside the 'safe area' of older HDTVs where you can't set them to pixel-by-pixel and they underscan at least 5-10% of the picture. ESPN does it right with the BottomLine even though it looks bulky pixel-by-pixel.

WTAE has the new ticker, so the new graphics should debut today.

So did KOCO, I don't know if KOCO will switch to the Diagrid 2.0 ticker for school closings or for the morning news as of yet (they probably will however)

So did KOCO, I don't know if KOCO will switch to the Diagrid 2.0 ticker for school closings or for the morning news as of yet (they probably will however)

I honestly think that wasn’t updated.

WISN got out the weather alert bar today; certainly looks so much better and compact than the old version (sorry for the HDHomerun artifacts on the cap at the right; it's wonky with the iOS beta for some reason).

IMG_0741.thumb.JPG.7da8dfc37b447c435599b9ad6651b6b1.JPG

Archived