NEW Hearst Graphics: Diagrad 2.0

LOWERCASE GUY

Somewhere (on an old thread) I think there was a list of the order that the 2012 graphics were released. I know WBAL was right after WESH, but after that, I am not sure.

It was within a week or so. I know their chief photog CSD photog has been busy filming new promo spots over the past months - all with the screens green so they can key in the graphics. Now WBAL never got the updated weather look (no virtual cities with skyscapes showing the weather conditions, maps are not the same look, none of the 3D views of NEXRAD data). I don’t know if they need the new TWC/WSI boxes - or if they are already capable and never decided to update. Nor if they need to update the Viz boxes (I don’t know what the life cycle of a box is). They went Viz in 2008 prior to their HD launch and got some new boxes when they got their set to power the video walls.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious to see their setup. I know they've had WSI MAX since at least 2009. If they don't have Studio (which enables the Hand Tracking, which would've required them to get new boxes when they purchased that feature), I would say they probably need new WSI boxes. Then again, they could get new WSI boxes, and no one would notice. They could opt to keep the same look despite new features.

I'm curious to see their setup. I know they've had WSI MAX since at least 2009. If they don't have Studio (which enables the Hand Tracking, which would've required them to get new boxes when they purchased that feature), I would say they probably need new WSI boxes. Then again, they could get new WSI boxes, and no one would notice. They could opt to keep the same look despite new features.

I’m not sure. I remember a few years ago they were doing training. But they’ve never used hand tracking but at the same time never had a need to. WBFF and WMAR use it.

Their on air style has been the same since atleast the last Winter Olympics.

They got a new traffic system that doesn’t appear to be WSI based as they don’t list INRIX so maybe weathers on the way? They used Navteq up until last year.

I’m getting replies from a tweet I sent about the graphics (I used said tweet to host the images) and got a few replies and people are pissed off about there not being a time and temp on screen. I think the people must be viewing OTA on a SD set or the SD channel and are centercutting the feed to fill the entire screen. I’m pretty certain they designed the package so that the time and temp wouldn’t be cut off - whether the feed is letterboxed on SD cable or an SD set with adaptor. It appears the ticker atleast was designed with the 16:9 safe zone in mind.

There is one HDTV in my house that has an SD box (my grandmothers as the HD menu would screw her up) and a portion of the graphics for WMAR would be cut off as they were pretty close to the edge. I haven’t viewed WBAL on it but WMARs graphics are much closer to the edge than the Time/Temp bug.

[MEDIA=twitter]956459629134872576[/MEDIA]

Edited: To clarify and add context,

If it is Hearst's goal to get those new graphics onto all their NBC stations before the Olympics, then no progress is being made at all. The Olympics start in two weeks and so far, only ONE NBC affiliate is using the full package.

So unless Hearst wants their NBC stations to launch the new graphics all at once on the same day, then they might want to start rolling them out RIGHT NOW!!!

If it is Hearst's goal to get those new graphics onto all their NBC stations before the Olympics, then no progress is being made at all. The Olympics start in two weeks and so far, only ONE NBC affiliate is using the full package.

So unless Hearst wants their NBC stations to launch the new graphics all at once on the same day, then they might want to start rolling them out RIGHT NOW!!!

Not only that, the Super Bowl is in one week too. And this year it's on NBC.

It can be done if they wanted to. The same systems are used throughout. I imagine most of the templates are the same (I believe a lot of the work building the graphics is through a MOS plugin in ENPS or premiere). There’s probably just some extra polishing / training going on.

Hearst is all Viz if I recall--all they need to do is remotely deploy out to ENPS and the boxes in the control room. It can happen.

Remember when the FOX O&Os all debuted the same new look on the same day?

I wonder when WBAL begins using the new graphics, will they replace their current V/O guy (Bill Ratner) with the V/O guy used by most of the Hearst stations (Steve Stone).

They use both. Bill for the show opens. Steve for some news promos and a woman who I don’t know for syndicated show promotions.

Edit: I’m not sure who the woman is but it’s not much like “Today at 4” when promoting Ellen or special topical news report promotion “The Women’s Doctor at Mercy”. But they also use her for some late late opens when Steve isn’t around. I believe they’ve tapped their radio talent before.

I should say that although Hearst could update the graphics and settings in ENPS in one swoop that only takes care of one part. The stations would then likely have to correct/update some of their switcher settings. Specifically the resizers and how the different multibox settings are set up. Plus a whole host of other issues that are more than a software update.

I should say that although Hearst could update the graphics and settings in ENPS in one swoop that only takes care of one part. The stations would then likely have to correct/update some of their switcher settings. Specifically the resizers and how the different multibox settings are set up. Plus a whole host of other issues that are more than a software update.

That PLUS they will have to swap out weather graphics as well. Coming from 1st hand experience, that's a nightmare in itself. Each frame has to be swapped out. The 7 day has to be made from scratch, etc.

That PLUS they will have to swap out weather graphics as well. Coming from 1st hand experience, that's a nightmare in itself. Each frame has to be swapped out. The 7 day has to be made from scratch, etc.

Wouldn’t they get a most of the core package delivered from HTV Design and either they install it themselves or pushed through TWC/WSI? Of course custom stuff would need to be done.

If you could either post it here or PM me and explain how it’s done. Like could their looping background or forecast symbols in the graphics be replaced simply by changing loading a new file with the same name?

Music is just fresh cuts of the package already in place.

Any more information, like how many cuts, what kind of themes? Is it a totally new package like Strive v2, or are stations allowed to keep using the existing cuts from the "older" package?

WYFF just started to transition to the new graphics like a few days ago. So far they're still using the now-old look but now they have two bugs displaying the station ID with the Olympics logo.

I highly doubt it went out live like this.

The two bugs onscreen maybe put on the video when they either live stream it or cut it for the web. For a while WBAL would have the Olympic logo on TV but use their normal one on the stream and YouTube.

A lot of this stuff is done automatically. The station takes the control room feed recording which doesn’t include the bug and edit it (I’m not sure what they use) and the bugs added.

Archived