NEW Hearst Graphics: Diagrad 2.0

LOWERCASE GUY

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something about the new Intros did bother me because the V/O didn’t mention the time of newscast (at 4, at 5 etc..) and and also didn’t mention “...The News Hour at 10...” but just “WESH 2 News on CW 18” not sure if WESH will keep up the News Hour name.

This would explain the sudden change to the quarter-hour time and temp bug WISN's been using during ABC shows lately; it's smaller than what the current package had (maybe a bit too tiny; it's at scale with the ABC bug) has but it would definitely fit the bounds of this. WISN has also been testing some form on their breaking news stream, though with definite differences.

Granted, I'm guessing WESH got them first because of the Winter Games. However, Is this the new standard? Like, WISN will get them soon? Would be nice if WISN got the full open back. They never got rid of the Talent Open so Major Points for WISN!

Granted, I'm guessing WESH got them first because of the Winter Games. However, Is this the new standard? Like, WISN will get them soon? Would be nice if WISN got the full open back. They never got rid of the Talent Open so Major Points for WISN!

Well this package’s Open looks like it can be customized for a Talent Open.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe WGAL got a update to their gfx right before the last Olympics. I think they will get the WESH gfx very soon.

A few days ago, WGAL were tweaking with the weather gfx. Not as good as the WESH but similar. I thought it looked odd at first then it made sense.

Bring those gfx to WGAL. Now!

— Matt

More likely WESH got these first because they're literally in the same building as the hub which makes it easier to test, implement, and fix any little issues that may crop up.

I'm also noticing a few standard "Hothaus" elements in the look: the diagonal glassy look of the live bug, etc. so I wouldn't be surprised if this was designed with Hothaus' assistance, just like the last diagrid package.

I never really understood why the Hearst look pretty consistently gets rave reviews on here. The updated bug and supers are at least passable now, but the rest of it still looks too busy. There has never been anything contemporary about it. Sure, there are worse looks out there, but there are much better ones too.

This is the new standardized look. It's been in the works for about a year. WESH got it first since the graphics hub is located in the building, but it will be rolled out to all stations within three months. NBC stations will have them before the Olympics. CBS stations should debut them before March Madness, then ABC will get them. Fresh music cuts are rolling out to debut with the graphics, as well.

I can confirm that all NBC Hearst stations are supposed to be getting this look by the time the Olympics get underway.

Who did you hear this from? Anything more you can say about the timeline for the graphics rollout and the new music?

Started to see more elements on WBAL. The race is on to see who get new graphics first WBAL or WJZ.

WJZ and WBAL’s employees may have started creating some diversions to mess the other station up, and throw rocks at each other in the process, since WBAL and WJZ’s studios are literally close to each other.

WJZ and WBAL’s employees may have started creating some diversions to mess the other station up, and throw rocks at each other in the process, since WBAL and WJZ’s studios are literally close to each other.

WBAL could easily decide to put strobes on their roof or have their big sign on the roof lit on the back. That would totally mess up all of WJZ’s outback liveshot locations.

Edit: How about one of those giant inflatables that light up inside. Just inflate it as they go on air. Also some occasions WBAL has used the front facade of their building which faces I-83/JFX as a billboard/video screen. They hire some company to come out and professionally project images. Maybe they could figure out how to do it out back.

Were the Hearst graphics hubbed at WESH even in 1999 when the station began using the 2nd generation "camera" mandated graphics or were they hubbed somewhere else that year through the early 2000s?

I’m pretty sure Hearst didn’t start hubbing graphics at WESH until after the diagrid launch. Today’s hub started sometime around late 2012/early 2013.

Archived