NBC Plans for the 2018 Olympics

TVNewsJunkie15

So apparently unlike in years past where The TODAY Show arrived in the Host City of The Olympics the week of the Opening Ceremony (Usually that Monday or Tuesday), they won't be broadcasting from South Korea until that Monday after the Opening Ceremony which is a little strange. They claiming it because of tensions on the Korean Peninsula. I don't understand how waiting a few days later would make any difference anyway?

Another thing is that NBC still hasn't announced who will host the Opening Ceremony with only 3 weeks left. Usually, they announce who will host The Opening Ceremony at least 2 Months in advance. I find this a little weird too but it may be that Matt was supposed to host The Opening Ceremony and after he was fired they had to change their Game Plan. Megyn Kelly won't be taking part in Olympics Coverage which actually doesn't bother me at all.

Al Roker, Natalie Morales, Willie Geist, Craig Melvin and Dylan Dreyer will be taking part in Olympics coverage among others including Keir Simmons, Kate Snow and Stephanie Gosk

Lester Holt will arrive in South Korea the Week of The Opening Ceremony. I am guessing Lester and Meredith will hot the Opening Ceremony

http://deadline.com/2018/01/nbc-news-winter-olympics-coverage-pyeongchang-south-korea-2018-1202241945/

I think the chances of breaking news in the US is quite high tho still that doesn't have anything to do with tensions on the Korean Peninsula.

I read in the antoher article that was the reason they were delaying going to South Kora by several days.

That makes sense. Too much going on in the US. I wonder who will be in NY to handle breaking news while everyone else is away. I think it will be Megan Kelly.

I read in the antoher article that was the reason they were delaying going to South Kora by several days.

That makes sense. Too much going on in the US. I wonder who will be in NY to handle breaking news while everyone else is away. I think it will be Megan Kelly.

Per TVNewser, Kathie-Lee and Jenna Bush-Hager will also host their hour or Today from NYC from the same studio as Megan Kelly.

As for breaking news, I don't imagine it will be Megan.

What about Natalie Morales from the west coast or the Early Today/First Look crew remaining on standby?

Per TVNewser, Kathie-Lee and Jenna Bush-Hager will also host their hour or Today from NYC from the same studio as Megan Kelly.

As for breaking news, I don't imagine it will be Megan.

What about Natalie Morales from the west coast or the Early Today/First Look crew remaining on standby?

Natalie gonna be in South Korea for the Olympics. They could use ChuckTodd for Breaking News

So apparently unlike in years past where The TODAY Show arrived in the Host City of The Olympics the week of the Opening Ceremony (Usually that Monday or Tuesday), they won't be broadcasting from South Korea until that Monday after the Opening Ceremony which is a little strange. They claiming it because of tensions on the Korean Peninsula. I don't understand how waiting a few days later would make any difference anyway?

Another thing is that NBC still hasn't announced who will host the Opening Ceremony with only 3 weeks left. Usually, they announce who will host The Opening Ceremony at least 2 Months in advance. I find this a little weird too but it may be that Matt was supposed to host The Opening Ceremony and after he was fired they had to change their Game Plan. Megyn Kelly won't be taking part in Olympics Coverage which actually doesn't bother me at all.

Al Roker, Natalie Morales, Willie Geist, Craig Melvin and Dylan Dreyer will be taking part in Olympics coverage among others including Keir Simmons, Kate Snow and Stephanie Gosk

Lester Holt will arrive in South Korea the Week of The Opening Ceremony. I am guessing Lester and Meredith will hot the Opening Ceremony

http://deadline.com/2018/01/nbc-news-winter-olympics-coverage-pyeongchang-south-korea-2018-1202241945/

I think Mike Tirico will host the Primetime Olympic Coverage, taking over for Bob Costas, since Mike won't have Football around that time plus the Olympic games begin on Friday, February 9th after the Super Bowl which is on Sunday, February 4th.

I think Mike Tirico will host the Primetime Olympic Coverage, taking over for Bob Costas, since Mike won't have Football around that time plus the Olympic games begin on Friday, February 9th after the Super Bowl which is on Sunday, February 4th.

NBC announced Mike Tirico as the primetime host about a year ago.

...but they still taped delayed most of the stuff to primetime, right?

Tape my ass baby!

That was film!

Yeah, yeah...

ABC would have screwed up the coverage by now if they still had the games..

Lara this....Facebook this...Robin this.....bla bla. (bang).

Life was so much nicer when ABC had the games.

Just pure, organic, and live Olympics.

[ATTACH=full]5204[/ATTACH]

How the f. did that get past the IOC? They are so strict with their Olympic Rings now a days that any minors logo changes have to be approved by NBC or the IOC.

As for the breaking news speculation there’s nothing stopping them from anchoring from South Korea with all the technological advances. The anchors can get all the feeds and info probably as quick as they could at 30 Rock thanks to all that fiber. I could see them using some of the MSNBC dayside anchors if anything happens.

I was surprised that Megyn Kelly isn’t going. I thought I read somewhere they were going to use the Olympics to help pr9,one her hour of today and show her off throughout 5e Today show

I went back and looked at Today coverage from previous Olympics Opening ceremony week:

2012 London:

Matt anchored on Monday from London Bridge, on Tuesday, Savannah, Al and Natalie joined him from London Bridge. They anchored from London Bridge until Friday. On Friday they moved to the their olympic studio in olympic park.

2014 Sochi :

Matt and Meredith anchored a spilt editions of Today on Thursday and Friday of the week of , with Savannah back in studio 1A in New York. On the Monday following the olympics opening ceremony Al, Savannah and Natalie joined Matt from olympic park.

2016 Rio:

Matt anchored a split edition of Today on the Thursday with Savannah, Hoda, and Al in Studio 1A, On Friday Hoda joined Matt, and Meredith at the copacabana beach studio location. On Monday Al Roker joined Matt and Hoda, Natalie and Billy Bush also were appearing on the show at that time. (Savannah was suppose to come, but in June of that year she announced that she was pregnant and stayed in New York because Zika concerns. She provided News updates at 7:15 and 8:05)

It seems that for the past two olympics the format for the week of the opening ceremony is that coverage begins on Thursday and Friday with the host of the opening ceremony anchor on location and regular Today anchors in studio.

For 2018,

I guessing that Katie Couric who is co- hosting the Opening Ceremony will appear on Today on Thursday and Friday and help anchor the show's pre-olympic coverage. Even though Guthrie, Kotp, and Roker are won't be on location on those two days they still are calling them "special editions" in the press release.

Is Meredith Vieira no longer with NBC News? I was thinking she would be co hosting again. I am happy that Katie is back in the chair. To me Meredith and Katie are both great at this type of thing as well as Today Co Anchors

Is Meredith Vieira no longer with NBC News? I was thinking she would be co hosting again. I am happy that Katie is back in the chair. To me Meredith and Katie are both great at this type of thing as well as Today Co Anchors

She is as of today as far as we know but I am wondering if NBC found out that she knew something but never reported it and decided it would be best if she didn't take part in this year Olympics. She co-hosted the 2014 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony with Matt and hung out with him a lot in Sochi.

Or maybe She decided not to take part in it as it would be too weird for her to be there as she has co-hosted the last 3 Olympics with Matt. I think the real reason she ever did the Olympics Opening Ceremony was becuse of Matt. they were Friends.

I am thinking the later is more likely. Katie never hosted an Opening Ceremony with Matt.

I think it interesting Meredith has still yet to comment about Matt be fired from TODAY Show. Both Katie and Ann have.

Archived