Joel Daly...in Los Angeles?

Big Rollo Smokes

Perhaps some of the readers here are aware of recent uploads of clips on YouTube from Rick Thomas, who has been posting airchecks of L.A. television from the early 1970s...including lots of material from KNBC and KABC-TV.

Among those clips are two which feature WLS-TV’s own Joel Daly, sitting at the KABC-TV desk alongside one-time WGN-TV newsman John Schubeck. The clips themselves date to around the summer of 1972.

No search has brought up anything about Daly having ever worked in Los Angeles. So I pose the question here...Does anyone here know about this? Was Daly at KABC-TV on a short-term loan or for an audition, or did he actually leave Chicago to test the waters in Hollywood?

Just like how local anchors were fixtures on the network weekend newscast back in the day, I believe he was out there on a rental. I did a little research after that was posted, and I could find nothing that said he was testing the waters to move out there.

Just like how local anchors were fixtures on the network weekend newscast back in the day, I believe he was out there on a rental. I did a little research after that was posted, and I could find nothing that said he was testing the waters to move out there.

Short of asking Mr. Daly himself directly or indirectly, that is...

Archived