CBS and Viacom seeking to merge... again

The Frog

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not just Les...the entire CBS board.

She's really willing to kill the golden goose just to keep the cable side afloat?

Wow. Moonves ought to call her bluff. He wouldn't be out of work for long, and CBS would be looking down the barrel of another Tisch era.

The only reason Shari wants this deal is to balance out Viacom’s books. CBS is doing fine on its end while Viacom, not so much.

• 1 month later...
What a huge gamble that is--it probably means the end of the Moonves era at CBS if they're not successful.

And if they do win, look for CBS to stay Independent but it would no longer be owned by National Amusements

The two companies have been locked in an unusual tussle. The Redstone family controls both businesses, and they were one corporation before a breakup more than a decade ago. But getting them back together has proved challenging. Shari Redstone has indicated before that she wants Viacom CEO Bob Bakish to become the combined company’s second-in-command. CBS Chief Executive Officer Leslie Moonves would prefer to keep his own people in charge.

I get the feeling that, among other things, Shari Redstone's trying to save her pet executive, Bakish. How's he been doing in the few years he's been at Viacom?

She's willing to destroy CBS to get what she wants, isn't she?

100%. She has no idea what she is doing. She wants CBS and Viacom to merge. Viacom is trash and Les doesn't want it.

100%. She has no idea what she is doing. She wants CBS and Viacom to merge. Viacom is trash and Les doesn't want it.

Based on this list, I'd say Paramount Pictures and its content library would be the only part really worth having.

I don't blame Moonves one bit he's even built his own streaming services like CBS All Access, CBSN and CBS Sports HQ yet Redstone thinks that CBS (and Moonves) cannot survive unless they remerge with Viacom? Makes absolutely zero sense to me

Don't forget Nickelodeon! Kids' content is tightly controlled, and for good reason.

I considered saying something about cable channels, but decided to keep it simple for that post.

That said, I imagine CBS would want some of the cable channels -- Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, TV Land, and Paramount Network. BET can (and should) be sold off to a minority owner, while MTV and VH-1 can be packaged either with CMT or BET for sale or just put out of their misery. (Some of their digital "children" should definitely be shut down. What's the point of a channel for music videos when there's YouTube?)

Does Bob Johnson have the money to buy BET back? Might a consortium with a famous "front" member buy it?

I really don't know what the fate of MTV might be. It feels like it's the Myspace of TV.

Well Sonny...

At this rate if these Bozo's keep this up...someone just might break a hip.

Make sure you get me video when the dentures go flying.

I don't blame Moonves one bit he's even built his own streaming services like CBS All Access, CBSN and CBS Sports HQ yet Redstone thinks that CBS (and Moonves) cannot survive unless they remerge with Viacom? Makes absolutely zero sense to me

Les is doing a great job running CBS. Viacom needs CBS more. CBS doesn't need Viacom to "survive". The board meeting is at 5pmET today

Archived