CBS and Viacom seeking to merge... again

The Frog

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know the people who were scared to death of the Viacom "V of Doom" when they were kids back in the day? Well, they're all grown up now and have infiltrated the Viacom Logo Department over the years. Their sole mission: making bland what once brought fear. Finally, they've succeeded in creating a logo that will bore you to death instead.

24 minutes ago, channel2 said:

I really don't think that the logos for media conglomerates are designed to be memorable. They seem to me like they're supposed to fade into the background and avoid too much notice.

Bingo. This will go on letter heads and business cards like the basic purple NBCUniversal  logo type in a Rock Sans. Probably not going to be appearing on end boards. 

The NBCUniversal logo to me is the most boring logo imaginable. 

From what I've seen, NBCU's actual corporate identity has a lot more thought and presence in it than most media companies' identities. They did have custom fonts made, and they insist on that particular shade of purple.

13 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Bingo. This will go on letter heads and business cards like the basic purple NBCUniversal  logo type in a Rock Sans. Probably not going to be appearing on end boards. 

The NBCUniversal logo to me is the most boring logo imaginable. 

The Paramount Pictures end board has a byline with Viacom's font that will need to be updated; time will tell if the exact stylization will be used.

27 minutes ago, channel2 said:

From what I've seen, NBCU's actual corporate identity has a lot more thought and presence in it than most media companies' identities. They did have custom fonts made, and they insist on that particular shade of purple.

Good point there was a whole corporate rebrand/identity and everything internal seemed to be redone.  It’s on signage, letterheads, business cards, room numbers, studio doors (in 30 Rock each studio door has its designation filling the door). Also what’s the shade of purple I like it.

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/the_nbc_peacock_is_gone_and_rightfully_so.php

Aside: What the hell is the companies names? Sometimes I just see Comcast others show Comcast NBCUniversal? Is the latter only used when it involves the two companies.  In some Biz journals it’s sometimes Comcast other times they write Comcast NBCUniversal. I assume Comcast is still the parent company and the one including NBCUniversal is like the Universal Studios/A Comcast Company thing.

But I digress back to viacomcbs. 

10 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Have they said anything new as far as the future of CBS Television Studios, CBS Television Distribution and Paramount Television? Been trying to find it on Google haven't had any luck with it

The production studios are remaining separate:

https://deadline.com/2019/12/viacom-cbs-reunion-different-course-tv-production-units-cbs-television-studios-paramount-television-1202801749/

27 minutes ago, AmericanErrorist said:

The Paramount Pictures end board has a byline with Viacom's font that will need to be updated; time will tell if the exact stylization will be used.

They will probably update that, if they haven't already.   But I don't see the problem if they simply continued with the former Viacom font.  I'm sure they will continue maintaining that trademark, at least nominally.

13 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Good point there was a whole corporate rebrand/identity and everything internal seemed to be redone.  It’s on signage, letterheads, business cards, room numbers, studio doors (in 30 Rock each studio door has its designation filling the door). Also what’s the shade of purple I like it.

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/the_nbc_peacock_is_gone_and_rightfully_so.php

Aside: What the hell is the companies names? Sometimes I just see Comcast others show Comcast NBCUniversal? Is the latter only used when it involves the two companies.  In some Biz journals it’s sometimes Comcast other times they write Comcast NBCUniversal. I assume Comcast is still the parent company and the one including NBCUniversal is like the Universal Studios/A Comcast Company thing.

But I digress back to viacomcbs. 

Comcast is the parent company, NBCUniversal is their content generation subsidiary.

35 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

Have they said anything new as far as the future of CBS Television Studios, CBS Television Distribution and Paramount Television? Been trying to find it on Google haven't had any luck with it

From the Deadline article at the time of the merger announcement, it appears CBS Television Studios & Paramount Television will stay separate for now.

On 12/6/2019 at 12:30 AM, CircleSeven said:

From the Deadline article at the time of the merger announcement, it appears CBS Television Studios & Paramount Television will stay separate for now.

At least if CBS and Paramount merge, CBS could move James Cordon to Paramount which is quite a bit larger than CBS Television City.

6 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

At least if CBS and Paramount merge, CBS could move KCBS and James Cordon to Paramount which is quite a bit larger than CBS Studio Center.

With all that space they use right now at Studio Center, why would Channel 2 move to the Paramount Lot? That doesn't make any sense. KCBS & KCAL each have their own separate news studio.

And Corden is taped at Television City (which CBS use to own) in LA's Fairfax District, not Studio Center.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

With all that space they use right now at Studio Center, why would Channel 2 move to the Paramount Lot? That doesn't make any sense. KCBS & KCAL each have their own separate news studio.

And Corden is taped at Television City (which CBS use to own) in LA's Fairfax District, not Studio Center.

Sorry, I misspoke. KCBS and KCAL is at CBS Studio Center, which I didn't know, but I know that Corden is taped at Television City. If Corden moved, that would make sense, but they should move since CBS no longer owns the property.

Just now, ABC 7 Denver said:

Sorry, I misspoke. KCBS and KCAL is at CBS Studio Center, which I didn't know, but I know that Corden is taped at Television City. If Corden moved, that would make sense, but they should move since CBS no longer owns the property.

CBS did sign a lease agreement with the new owners of TVC to continue production of its shows there (Corden, TPIR, Y&R, Bold). I wouldn't be surprised if they renew the lease after the five years is up.

6 hours ago, AmericanErrorist said:

The Paramount Pictures end board has a byline with Viacom's font that will need to be updated

That is happening for sure. Come early next year - if not next month, you will see "A ViacomCBS Company" (in whatever style) as Paramount's newest byline.

5 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

At least if CBS and Paramount merge, CBS could move James Corden to Paramount which is quite a bit larger than CBS Studio Center.

I'm sure they're satisfied with their studio status and their current (and probably future) lease at Television City at this moment. 

I would've LOVVVED for VIACOMCBS to have used the retro CBS font ..ANNNNNNND! a challenge I give to the creative folks out there, y'all know Viacom for that "pinball machine music" in their original logo,and CBS with their "chimes" from the 60's that intro'd their programs in color, lets see if both themes can mesh together as an end cap for the company [which also by the way, NOW also owns Brittan's channel 5 and Australia's Network Ten ]

14 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Lastly KCBS/KCAL and the LA Bureau are all in a relatively new building. 

23 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Lastly KCBS/KCAL and the LA Bureau are all in a relatively new building. 

Said building is previously where the original Big Brother house stood from 2000-2004.

They now use Stage 18 exclusively.

Archived