CBS and Viacom seeking to merge... again

The Frog

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

If that happens, they should go back to calling it UPN.

A reversion to UPN wouldn't make any since, since United Television doesn't exist anymore and Paramount won't be involved in the network's operations post-merger, both currently and in this hypothetical situation (some shows from Paramount Television, which will currently remain a separate operation post-merger, may come to the network at most).

15 minutes ago, AmericanErrorist said:

A reversion to UPN wouldn't make any since, since United Television doesn't exist anymore and Paramount won't be involved in the network's operations post-merger, both currently and in this hypothetical situation (some shows from Paramount Television, which will currently remain a separate operation post-merger, may come to the network at most).

UPN was a better name than CW. In the alternative they could call it CBS Extra or something like that. I was going to say CBS II, but that would be confusing with all the Channel 2's out there that call themselves CBS 2. I always hated the CW branding.

48 minutes ago, channel2 said:

"The CW" never sounded as good as "The WB," but Troika's logo for The CW is still excellent.

Apparently, Paramount still owns the trademarks on UPN's logo, so they could trot it out whenever.

The addresses for the correspondence information on those point to CBS, as they received the network in the split. Of course it'll all be one company again soon enough...

8 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

If that happens, they should go back to calling it UPN.

7 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

UPN was a better name than CW. In the alternative they could call it CBS Extra or something like that

Going back to UPN? Dope!

Changing to something like that? As if.

7 hours ago, channel2 said:

"The CW" never sounded as good as "The WB," but Troika's logo for The CW is still excellent.

I personally like The CW as a name, but you're (both) right. Seconded on the logo.

And if and when ViacomCBS takes 100% ownership, I hope (whatever they choose to name it) goes back to airing both sitcoms and dramas that cater to everyone, and not just hour-long shows that mostly cater to only upscale white teenagers. (Yeah, I know it works, but variety can work too).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NEOMatrix said:

No matter what happens with the ViacomCBS (re)merger, somehow that Nexstar-owned daytime hour on The CW will still survive like the cockroach that it is.

I think NXST will relinquish that 4pmET hour in the near future.

2 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

Fixed. Most CW stations air Jerry Springer at 3pm local time, although WUAB airs JS at 2pm and WCCB does it at 1pm.

Is "The Jerry Springer Show" still as amusing as it used to be? I would occasionally watch it with, believe it or not, my late grandmother about 15 years ago. Between all the brawling and women showing their boobs on the air, it was good for a cheap laugh. (Much funnier than any network sitcom.) But that was about 15 years ago. Haven't really bothered to watch it since.

44 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Is "The Jerry Springer Show" still as amusing as it used to be? I would occasionally watch it with, believe it or not, my late grandmother about 15 years ago. Between all the brawling and women showing their boobs on the air, it was good for a cheap laugh. (Much funnier than any network sitcom.) But that was about 15 years ago. Haven't really bothered to watch it since.

The final years of the show became very repetitive, dealing with the same three topics over and over.

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

I think NXST will relinquish that 4pmET hour in the near future.

And then the CW would likely dump that time slot for good if that's the case. Doubt the affiliates would complain.

At any rate, I'm half-expecting CBS to slap the Nickelodeon name on the CBS Dream Team block. Wouldn't be the first Litton block to have that sort of thing. After all, Litton runs a block on NBC called "The More You Know".

1 hour ago, MadMan400096 said:

And then the CW would likely dump that time slot for good if that's the case. Doubt the affiliates would complain.

At any rate, I'm half-expecting CBS to slap the Nickelodeon name on the CBS Dream Team block. Wouldn't be the first Litton block to have that sort of thing. After all, Litton runs a block on NBC called "The More You Know".

Not while the E/I requirements are in place. 

One Saturday Morning/ABC Kids had strawman status when it came to E/I.

2 hours ago, MadMan400096 said:

It wouldn't be the first Nick-branded block on CBS either! They had "Nick Jr. on CBS" from 2000 to 2002, "Nick on CBS" from 2002 to 2004, and Nick Jr. on CBS again from 2004 to 2006, when they handed the block over to the somehow-still-operational DIC.

3 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

it doesn't flow well AT ALL! However, the alternative in 2006 was calling it "The WC", and we all know how many snickers that would get.

The Columbus Sewer Department was using a similar logo. It kind of fits in with your WC theme ... after all, CW stations kind of are a sewer.

images.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived