KTLA Vintage Telecopter #3

Eat News

Look what was buried inside this 1972 KTLA Sign-off that Rick Thomas just posted.

It's actual moving pictures of KTLA['s Telecopter (#3).

TC3 was the third incarnation of the original KTLA "Telecopters".

TC3 is a Bell 206 JetRanger 2 complete with a very early "Wescam" camera ball (right) and the micro-dome antenna housing (left).

I wish I had an accurate picture inside that antenna. Telecopters 1 and 2 had used a custom designed omni directional retractable antennas.

This set-up makes me think there is a steerable dish inside, along with the omni and the rx antenna for the ground relay or "bounce".

Sadly the KTLA "Telecopter" was later sold to KNBC who retained the telecopter name.

The KNBC Telecopter later crashed in a San Fernando Valley park while returning from a brush fire in 1977.

The former US spy pilot Gary Francis Powers was killed along with a KNBC photographer. The airship was also destroyed.

Anyway...it's a pretty neat discovery since we cannot expect KTLA to find this historic video...just the hard work of the video restorers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=4stYbz7taIw;t=161

powers-helo.jpg.9edfc4cdc4f6d8c6add1878fabd46312.jpg

Archived