Advertising on TVNewsTalk

Hello everyone, Since the very beginning of TVNewsTalk, the site has operated at a loss, paid for out of pocket by myself and the other administrators @jestbiteme and @Evening Magazine (and our old friend @Dave Lampstein for a while). In order to help fund the operations of the site and help offset the cost of future upgrades, Google Adsense has been installed on the site. As part of this, we are committing to not placing ad banners into the content area, so threads won't be broken up with ads. Integrating advertisements into a site is always a touchy subject, and I want to make sure it's handled right. I have been personally testing the ads the past couple days to make sure nothing objectionable turns up. I have also turned off a lot of sensitive topics (politics, etc) so you shouldn't be getting a bunch of politically charged ads interrupting your TVNewsTalk experience. If you have any questions, please reach out to myself via PM, or email support @ tvnewstalk.net. If you see any suspicious or questionable ads, please take a screenshot of it and send it to one of the above locations so it may be removed from our ad inventory. Happy Posting!

I always get creeped out by how closely these Google Ad things follow my browsing habits. I've been buying digital comics, for example, so half of my ads are for the digital comics site... and one of the ads I just saw specifically plugged This is Spinal Tap on a streaming service... which, not coincidentally, is a movie I searched for on Amazon last night.

Not complaining about having ads though! I'm not ad blocking here and I don't ad block on sites I support. Just making an observation.

I have no problem with this. Surprised it hasn’t happened before. Now I forget how does AdSense work do you automatically get some money for each impression or only when it’s clicked on?

I always get creeped out by how closely these Google Ad things follow my browsing habits.

I’ve been getting ads for intraoperatice MRIs and portable CT scanners. I’ve been watching ER on POP and about two weeks ago they had a quick plug for a mobile CT machine, Ceretom, which I searched for.

Now I forget how does AdSense work do you automatically get some money for each impression or only when it’s clicked on?

It's a little of both. Advertisers pay for placement and pay per-click. Some pay more than others. In any given day we might have less traffic and get more money from Adsense than we did a day prior with higher traffic.

The good news is the ads are proving successful, so in the next few months there should be some exciting changes on their way to TVNT.

The good news is the ads are proving successful, so in the next few months there should be some exciting changes on their way to TVNT.

Which leads to some personal news. I'll be joining TV News Talk Dot Net in March as their Chief White House Correspondent. Very excited guys.

Archived