KSWB on Temp Set, Refresh or New Set Underway

n925tv

I’ve seen on Shally and Kristina’s Instagram snaps that they have a wooden wall, next to the control room and the control room still has the current window decals on the glass still along with the black epoxy floors

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow may be the debut.

Also a new monitor wall and brown wooden couch set next to the control room. Looks like they got rid of the old edit bays during the WB News at Ten era days.

You want a huge upgrade, you got it! The new KSWB set debuted today during the 1 PM newscast, and all I can say is wow. I expected some sort of slight refresh, but pretty much everything is all new. Some lighting (especially green screen lighting) is waaaayy off, however there's always some kinks that need to be worked out.

They're really showing it off and mentioning it at every chance they can get, unlike their 2013 set where no mention was made. Lots of Jib and Steadicam shots as well, making the most of what they got. Several San Diego theme elements to this set as well, surf pictures can be seen on the back wall. The desk "pedals" even look like surfboards with their frosted class elements. Considering the small space that KSWB has, I'm really surprised they pulled this off, wow. It seems that everything is in the same place compared to their now former set, the anchor "home base" is in the area where the old anchor desk was.

kswb14.thumb.JPG.0da02df3174d539a0002cda6122d7e05.JPG

kswb23.thumb.JPG.354e927071eb9a407e8edf1d0f3c17a2.JPG

kswb26.thumb.JPG.7b80a0bc368a7318b0ce63b0311e4473.JPG

kswb13.thumb.JPG.1cb78160de242cbe6f8778e6bab57c4f.JPG

kswb19.thumb.JPG.081d967b5e3f856d7536799996272de9.JPG

kswb15.thumb.JPG.7b1f8d8ece4b19bf5fa0813186b152dd.JPG

kswb17.thumb.JPG.a0ec9c4dbf57b369d8441151e1dc0107.JPG

kswb18.thumb.JPG.8b5b385abaa8b259456053ab0db2ebb9.JPG

kswb24.thumb.JPG.10b903094c800708a40f716e13414330.JPG

kswb25.thumb.JPG.2888c634f10b88e5719209422ca6b877.JPG

Here's a time lapse of the construction. Really creative use to put the monitors around that pesky roof support pole! You can also see the 90's/2000's era WB editing bays were sparred, with the clothes still being stored inside!

[MEDIA=twitter]955931436065828864[/MEDIA]

Comprehensive tour from Raoul, this is seriously epic for KSWB to pull this off! Awesome job to everyone involved.

I missed the morning show stream, where’s the couch set? Is it in one of the old edit bays or the old news directors / former weather office behind the green screen.

The could’ve used another panel behind the 3x3 monitor if they wanted to be discreet about the barn doors leading into the backlot.

I wish Tegna's set-in-a-box was half as nice, but I do want to point out that, besides the '5' in the light rigging, there is no local Fox 5 signing on the set besides what's on the monitors.

Maybe they are playing it safe until the merger of Sinclair (logo change) or when FOX takes over. But yes, that 5 lit up on the wall picture on the light was kind of tacky.

I missed the morning show stream, where’s the couch set? Is it in one of the old edit bays or the old news directors / former weather office behind the green screen.

The could’ve used another panel behind the 3x3 monitor if they wanted to be discreet about the barn doors leading into the backlot.

The couch set is located in a small corner where the former "TV wall stand up area" was for reporters. If you're familiar with the layout of the building, the door to the current newsroom is also there, kinda looks tacky right next to the nice couch set but can't really do anything about that. I also believe in the WB and 2008 era before they moved the newsroom, that was the location of the assignment desk. All of the edit bays are still intact, they added some nice "mood lighting" inside of them to compliment the set (still used for storage tho). The former ND's office is still being used as the weather office, they moved their touchscreen monitor to the corner where the entrance to the office is, between the stairs and the office door. I will say once again I am very pleased to see they used every square inch of studio space they had for this set. The barn doors do look awkward however, I will agree.

It would be also nice for them to do some upstairs balcony shots, maybe with a reporter doing a stand up and you can see the set downstairs. I know the lighting grid is in the way in most locations, but I'm sure they could make it work.

It would be also nice for them to do some upstairs balcony shots, maybe with a reporter doing a stand up and you can see the set downstairs. I know the lighting grid is in the way in most locations, but I'm sure they could make it work.

They use the upstairs set / temporary set when they interview guests (like you see on CNN or MSNBC) with the 4x4 monitor behind them as a backdrop since the old set was only able to sit 2 anchors and the tacky side desk on the side opposite from the weather desk.

I agree though, like use the jib camera and pan upstairs like how XETV used to go from the news desk to the upstairs newsroom

Window.

I love it. It’s a great local take on the CBS This Morning studio with all the local touches such as the surfboards and how the side tables are surfboard shaped. They managed to work around the columns well.

A few questions: How many local stations regularly use a jib for camera shots? I can only think of WSVN and WHDH. How many cameras are installed? Can the side tables be removed for multiple people appear in one area? The control room is behind the frosted glass right? I would have replaced the frosted glass. And who designed this beauty?

Additionally, I am surprised CBS stations never took the route of a set in the round. The TEGNA sets have the ability with their guitar pick desks but how often do they really change it up.

I wish Tegna's set-in-a-box was half as nice, but I do want to point out that, besides the '5' in the light rigging, there is no local Fox 5 signing on the set besides what's on the monitors.

I don't remember any signage on the old set, or on the set before that... there's more than enough display real estate on the set to where they don't need it.

Just waiting for someone to hijack this tread and make it about WNYW. Someone will want a set like KSWBs installed in NYC...because, you know, WNYW has the oldest set in the NYC market.

....or KUSI lol

I don't remember any signage on the old set, or on the set before that... there's more than enough display real estate on the set to where they don't need it.

WB only had signage on the yellow wall to the side of the set and a Glass marquee above the desk.

FOX 5 had a Cardboard cut out on the wall during the 2008-2012 set and on all the monitors.

The previous last set didn’t have any logos, they only emphasized on the graphics duratrans on the desks.

How many cameras are installed? Can the side tables be removed for multiple people appear in one area? The control room is behind the frosted glass right? I would have replaced the frosted glass. And who designed this beauty?

KSWB has 6 cameras, 1 jib, and 1 stedicam downstairs, plus 1 camera upstairs on the 4x4 set. I don't believe the side glass table (surfboards) can be removed since they're built into the carpet/floor, but they are a separate piece from the main desk itself so there's a possibility. Control room is located behind the frosted glass yes, and this set is yet another BDI masterpiece.

• 9 months later...

KSWB has been using their old (2013 era) main anchor desk for Election Coverage at Golden Hall in Downtown San Diego tonight. They also brought out the 2013 era set panels, that were briefly used in their couch setup in front of the control room. Rather interesting they busted out both of these elements for tonight, let alone kept them in storage all this time.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a3c94bfab4dfcde06eaca014888fe19d.JPG

KSWB has been using their old (2013 era) main anchor desk for Election Coverage at Golden Hall in Downtown San Diego tonight. They also brought out the 2013 era set panels, that were briefly used in their couch setup in front of the control room. Rather interesting they busted out both of these elements for tonight, let alone kept them in storage all this time.

[ATTACH=full]6755[/ATTACH]

I noticed some San Diego stations have elaborate setups. Is there one watch party for each party?

I noticed some San Diego stations have elaborate setups. Is there one watch party for each party?

Yeah it has been a tradition.

I’ve never participated in it when i was still living down there, but it’s pretty neat how they open up a hall for the media to set up and open to the public.

Archived