KSWB on Temp Set, Refresh or New Set Underway

n925tv

KSWB went upstairs today, on their small temporary set. Word on the street says they're getting some sort of refresh to their 4 year old set, but also in the works could be something brand new with the possible looming changes ahead. They're tucked away in the corner upstairs, in one of the photos you can see the railing on the left. Right below, is their studio with their current/old set. This desk setup area is usually used for interviews and guests, and they used it back in 2013 during their first set change. Weather is also being done from a temp green screen setup, right behind the camera view. Really bad lighting on it, you can notice the difference.

Had some technical difficulties and an awkward moment, with a wide angle showing their temp set. Quality from this camera was much lower compared to their actual studio cameras, looked like from some security camera. Still reworking some things obviously for the move.

Happy New Year TVNT'ers!

kswb11.thumb.JPG.90a2447e1654014f6da06b21c9de3d7a.JPG

kswb22.thumb.JPG.2a0ac95b0dc27e06904b08399abb532c.JPG

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty interesting. I'd be very surprised if they get a new set since the current one looks pretty good. Perhaps they'll be adding some kind of monitors behind the anchor desk?

I agree with the green screen lighting...horrible.

If you look at the ending of Heather Lakes instasnap you can see the door wide open which is the door that leads to the back lot and that door was hidden with the weather center wall when the current set was built.

I’ll post the link below with the old setup. The current anchor desk is where the weather wall used to be.

Looks like they tore that wall down and you can also see a ladder.

Their building is pretty big but their studio lacks space, obviously it was built for a small newscast which was WB News at Ten with a small newsroom behind the set which was the control room backdrop.

However they did a lot of renovations by gutting a lot of offices to create the massive newsroom which is next to the kitchen set and hallway leading to the studio.

http://www.mediaway.us/prj_kswb/projkswb.htm

If you look at the ending of Heather Lakes instasnap you can see the door wide open which is the door that leads to the back lot and that door was hidden with the weather center wall when the current set was built.

I’ll post the link below with the old setup. The current anchor desk is where the weather wall used to be.

Looks like they tore that wall down and you can also see a ladder.

Their building is pretty big but their studio lacks space, obviously it was built for a small newscast which was WB News at Ten with a small newsroom behind the set which was the control room backdrop.

However they did a lot of renovations by gutting a lot of offices to create the massive newsroom which is next to the kitchen set and hallway leading to the studio.

http://www.mediaway.us/prj_kswb/projkswb.htm

Yeah definitely looks like they tore down the LED walls. Wasn't too much space anyways back there between the wall (behind the weather center) and the door to the back, just used for storage as well. I always thought their upstairs was under utilized, just housing the sports department (located right above the weather office), and the offices for sales and whatnot. Where their temp set is upstairs, lots of open space and they could definitely move a few offices up there or even use it for another stand up area. The area to the right of the set, where all of the old edit bays are, also seems really unnecessary. They're still there shockingly, albeit just filled with trash and other old Fox (even CW and WB) era memorabilia and advertisements. They store clothes in there as well, rather waste of space. Then they've got that annoying roof support pole smack in the middle of their set downstairs...

Screenshot_20180102-132956.thumb.png.1f54c4b44129d37308229b4b820edc0f.png

Also here's their secondary desk temp set, located right behind the camera view upstairs. They're using the "2nd anchor" desk from their 2008 set. Their main anchor desk right now was also the main anchor desk in '08. Couldn't be bothered to add a TV to it, or at least plug in the TV on the 2nd desk? All I can say this refresh/new set has been in the planning for the better part of a year or so, that's all I know.

Screenshot_20171231-224418.thumb.png.efe552c710772be8d90db4100e954230.png

Can we call their current setup the "Fox 5 PlexDeck?" Pretty please!

Yeah upstairs is nothing but offices and a mezzanine that looks over the set which is the current temporary set up along with a conference room that I recall being seen a few times when 92.5 had idol recaps in rainy days when the backlot can’t be used and that money tornado room giveaway or stuff as much in the bag back in 2010

Other than that the mezzanine was used for storage and local commercial shoots

[MEDIA=vimeo]65746800[/MEDIA]

New graphics may also be coming. When Raoul and Kristina tossed to Sam Rubin for entertainment this morning, Sam asked if the side by side graphic was new and Raoul responded by kind of hushing Sam and then he said to give them a couple of weeks.

why would they waste time and money on new graphics when they will most likely become a Fox O&O once the Sinchump merger takes place??

As many have said before, this was probably planned well in advance of this merger...

As many have said before, this was probably planned well in advance of this merger...

Additionally, the companies prior to merger are entirely separate companies, and have to continue to operate as if they will continue to be entirely separate, in the chance (no matter what the chance may be) that the merger isn't consummated for whatever reason(s).

Here's another behind the scenes view of their setup, looks like this is in one of their conference rooms upstairs. From what I remember on the most recent set, Cam 4 was their green screen camera, it would make sense if they stuck that in the conference room since their main anchor desk(s) are on the balcony.

[MEDIA=instagram]BdiJ3zjn-ro[/MEDIA]

Alright I've been a lurker on this forum for a while. Especially when channel 6 shut down, but now I just have to chime in on this. I live in San Diego, and I've visited KSWB before, and almost worked there too. Never in a million years would I picture them being an O&O, but it sure is better than the original plan. I would say that in my fantasy land Sunbeam Television would buy them, but they are a much better fit for KUSI, because of their amount of news (espcially on weekends), and the fact that they need a face lift. On another note I'm sure Fox is going to be a little irked that the station they are buying is going to have a set ordered by Tribune Media. In my observation those 2 companies have very different tastes in sets, and obviously Fox isn't going to put in a new set right when they get a new one. It also saddens me that this will shatter their relationship with KTLA. No more Sam in the morning, and no more awesome work sharing news, and reporters. So that also means CNN reports will no longer outnumber the amount of Fox News reports in the newscasts. It's just going to be weird thinking of the station as a sister station to KTTV, because they are just so different. I'm usually a KUSI guy, but I've been watching KSWB non stop, because change excites me. We haven't seen it in a while in this market, and now we can't get enough of it. So this leaves me with 2 questions. When is the deal going through (haven't seen any news reports about it online recently), and does anybody know what KSWB used as a temporary set last time they got a new one. Same thing?

You can hear electric screwdrivers in the background.

Here's another behind the scenes view of their setup, looks like this is in one of their conference rooms upstairs. From what I remember on the most recent set, Cam 4 was their green screen camera, it would make sense if they stuck that in the conference room since their main anchor desk(s) are on the balcony.

[MEDIA=instagram]BdiJ3zjn-ro[/MEDIA]

Well here's the closest to a "sneak peak/leak" we can get so far. They're pretty tight lipped at KSWB when it comes to their new sets.

Looks like some sort of monitor wall with the Sports Final logo on it downstairs? Besides that there's nothing much else to see, unless some of you with eagle eyes can tell?

fox1.JPG.a4ddd6c24f63ee3ca6ed8291bfdeaaa3.JPG

Great insight. From what I understand and seen many stations seem to keep old branding stuff if they have the space. I’ve seen pictures of WMAR’s craft shop and it’s filled with old logos from when they were with ABC and NBC.

I am surprised that the construction of the new set is going on right downstairs with out any sort of wall or even a sound dampening curtain. So that means the contractors have to work around the broadcast schedule. There’s only a 3 hour time frame between the morning news and 1PM newscast and 2 hours between the 1PM and 4PM newscasts. I’d imagine construction would have to stop a half hour before each newscast for promotions and other activities.

I am surprised that the construction of the new set is going on right downstairs with out any sort of wall or even a sound dampening curtain. So that means the contractors have to work around the broadcast schedule. There’s only a 3 hour time frame between the morning news and 1PM newscast and 2 hours between the 1PM and 4PM newscasts. I’d imagine construction would have to stop a half hour before each newscast for promotions and other activities.

For the 2013 set, they were so behind schedule on the project, that they were working during commercial breaks. I recall Raoul posting a photo of the construction workers downstairs taking a break while the newscast was on. Lots of breaks for those "workers", that's for sure!

Near that monitor walls it seems to be a brown/wood backdrop rather than a florescent blue one. Very Fox O&O friendly. Also I'm trying to figure out what those bright shapes are. I want to say monitors, but why would they be showing out of all things just white.

Well here's the closest to a "sneak peak/leak" we can get so far. They're pretty tight lipped at KSWB when it comes to their new sets.

Looks like some sort of monitor wall with the Sports Final logo on it downstairs? Besides that there's nothing much else to see, unless some of you with eagle eyes can tell?

[ATTACH=full]5150[/ATTACH]

I wonder if the morning news is going to be re branded as "Good Day San Diego". KSAZ-TV defers from that branding, and I believe WTTG also did at one point.

WJW used the "Good Day Cleveland" name for one year (1994-1995), when their morning newscast was expanded to fill the void left from CBS' "This Morning," but was changed to the current "ei8ht is News/Fox 8 News in the Morning" brand months before Fox actually bought the station (and it's survived the two subsequent resales).

WFLD also never used the "Good Day" title AFAIK; it was called "Fox Thing in the Morning" back in the late 1990s.

WJW used the "Good Day Cleveland" name for one year (1994-1995), when their morning newscast was expanded to fill the void left from CBS' "This Morning," but was changed to the current "ei8ht is News/Fox 8 News in the Morning" brand months before Fox actually bought the station (and it's survived the two subsequent resales).

WFLD also never used the "Good Day" title AFAIK; it was called "Fox Thing in the Morning" back in the late 1990s.

KRIV in Houston also doesn't use the Good Day branding. Except called FOX 26 Morning News/Morning News Extra.

Kathleen Bade giving sneak peaks on Twitter, and although we once again can't tell much. I can tell it's going to look very attractive, and be a huge upgrade!
After looking at the photos again I’m not sure how much of what I’m seeing is the new set, but from what we’ve seen so far it definitely looks like a more light theme instead of the dark blue environment they used to have.

Archived