The Graham Group

TheRolyPoly

There's no thread for the latest news and discussion involving the Graham Media Group stations (Flagship WDIV, KPRC, KSAT, WJXT/WCWJ, WKMG and WSLS) so I thought I start one now with this...

Graham is the first group (that I know of) that is getting into the podcasting world. It has launched a new podcast called Mismatch, featuring stories of mismatches. Things that don't belong or out of step, as the podcast is described.

It looks like WDIV may finally be in the process of dumping their botched "4 Zone Weather" as during two recent occasions that I briefly watched, Andrew Humphrey did not examine any of the zones, just looked over a full map of the station's DMA.

Just as well... it was a nonsense gimmick...

So, what was this "4 Zone Weather" thing, then?

It basically divided the weather map into the "zones" of metro, south, west and north, though the border choices were quite unusual, for instance, I-275 was chosen to separate west from metro, M-59 to separate north from metro, I-94 to separate west from south.

Another unusual aspect was that this, like WJBK's, WXYZ's and even WWJ's weather, ignored southwestern Ontario and northwestern Ohio completely.

It basically divided the weather map into the "zones" of metro, south, west and north, though the border choices were quite unusual, for instance, I-275 was chosen to separate west from metro, M-59 to separate north from metro, I-94 to separate west from south.

Another unusual aspect was that this, like WJBK's, WXYZ's and even WWJ's weather, ignored southwestern Ontario and northwestern Ohio completely.

WOAI used to do this too with its "4 Zone Weather."

That should say unlike the others...

I just find it funny when weather departments do things like this... They always only last a year if that when they do something divided like this... I still think WZZM does it in the Grand Rapids DMA... WOOD and WXMI used to do it... Don't think WWMT ever hopped on the bandwagon... But for that DMA it does make a little more sense... The temps/weather is always different than, say 5-10 miles inland from the lake...

• 1 month later...

Our friends at WKMG may finally be realizing they have a name other than News6GettingResults. (I imagine they’re testing this out during syndication - it’s not 3:00, for sure - and it disappeared during the second block of Rachel)

EDIT: Apparently, it’s gonna stay. No time or temp, but it does animate throughout.

90C65F77-5FE6-4161-8CF6-931D4823F30E.thumb.jpeg.f814673cde7af7ec0aa97be1f03fd067.jpeg

• 3 months later...
WDIV also just started displaying a bug during syndication. Just turned on Wheel of Fortune and was surprised to see this bug's appearance.

cSmSlTy.jpg

Being number 1 in most everything do they need to remind people what they are watching? Are they going to go over to 7 to watch Wheel instead?

Being number 1 in most everything do they need to remind people what they are watching? Are they going to go over to 7 to watch Wheel instead?

There's just one problem to that though, Scripps has enough in-house syndication programs that have pushed off outside-produced syndication on their stations.

There's just one problem to that though, Scripps has enough in-house syndication programs that have pushed off outside-produced syndication on their stations.

I know that but I was making the point that 4 doesn’t need to put a ghosted bug up there... nobody turns on 7 at 7 expecting wheel so exactly what are they hoping to gain with it?

I know that but I was making the point that 4 doesn’t need to put a ghosted bug up there... nobody turns on 7 at 7 expecting wheel so exactly what are they hoping to gain with it?

nothing that i know of. i used to live in that market back in the 90s and this is a start for WDIV. the whole thing about 7 is usually when Wheel and jeopardy are on ABC O&Os. not E.W. scripps. you would think that if you live in a market that has "ABC 7" the first thing that would come to mind is Wheel and Jeopardy when you realize not all of them do that due to the ownership or market. I think that Graham is letting people know who they are and what station the viewers are watching this time around.

nothing that i know of. i used to live in that market back in the 90s and this is a start for WDIV. the whole thing about 7 is usually when Wheel and jeopardy are on ABC O&Os. not E.W. scripps. you would think that if you live in a market that has "ABC 7" the first thing that would come to mind is Wheel and Jeopardy when you realize not all of them do that due to the ownership or market. I think that Graham is letting people know who they are and what station the viewers are watching this time around.

But nobody is in need of a reminder... it’s a little late in the game here... I can see the 90’s being a good time to do it but viewers in the Detroit market who like the shows in that hour already know to rust their dials to 4. It’s just one more thing to clutter the screen with really...

But nobody is in need of a reminder... it’s a little late in the game here... I can see the 90’s being a good time to do it but viewers in the Detroit market who like the shows in that hour already know to rust their dials to 4. It’s just one more thing to clutter the screen with really...

It's not about "reminding" viewers. It's branding. That's it. The more a viewer sees a logo, the more they recognize and remember it. That's how the game is played in all forms of advertising.

It's not about "reminding" viewers. It's branding. That's it. The more a viewer sees a logo, the more they recognize and remember it. That's how the game is played in all forms of advertising.

Right but if you double everybody else’s ratings for most of the day you should be just fine and they were without the ghosted logo... for the last 10 years... the other two stations using that logic should have an entire border of ghosted logos all the way around the screen... apparently nobody recognizes or remembers theirs...

How anyone doesn’t recognize or remember it by now... you got me. That makes even less sense... if it were a new logo and not a 20-some old year old logo I could see it... then at least it’s “hey look at us! See that thing in the corner? That’s us! Remember how cool we are with our new design and stick around because we still do all the stuff you love!”... but that’s not where we are. We are at the point of a 3 (and a half — sorry WWJ) station market with all the dials firmly rusted in place. That little logo is useless. Then after a while the brain will adapt and stop seeing it hanging out down there entirely unless you look for it.

I guess my point is that TV, especially local TV, is way too mature to need this stuff this late in its life. That’s why I keep referencing rusted dials, the habits are already formed and were decades ago. Burning a logo into someone’s head isn’t going to change anything.

• 2 weeks later...
WDIV also just started displaying a bug during syndication. Just turned on Wheel of Fortune and was surprised to see this bug's appearance.

cSmSlTy.jpg

KOCO in Oklahoma City does the same thing, not that big of a deal imo

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like WDIV has already changed their bug. It's more visible than their old one and the top part animates between "WDIV" and "LOCAL" like it does in newscasts. Not sure if this is permanent or if this is only during Inside Edition.

5NMc0Y6.jpg

• 6 months later...

There has been a smash-and-grab theft at a jewelry store at the Southland Center mall in Taylor, Michigan. This is what was reported on two of the news channels in Detroit as of 6 PM and 6:30 PM.

WXYZ: correctly reported smash-and-grab from the start

WDIV: legit reported that there was an active shooter at the mall when there was no such incident!!!

WDIV chose to run a "fake news" story based off of few of the social media posts they researched about the incident. This appeared like they're really trying hard to permanently turn viewers away, and with this situation, they really dropped the big ball.

EDITS: Just as I thought, WDIV corrected the story and is also mentioning a smash-and-grab. Also, the remaining news station, WJBK, had the correct smash-and-grab story as the third thing to start off their 10 PM newscast following stories of structure fires in Roseville and here in Wyandotte (the latter of which is a few miles east on the same road the mall is on).

Archived