WDBJ7 New Graphics

news89

I normally don't like starting a thread. However WDBJ7 debuted new graphics sometime in past few weeks or so. Looks similar to KWQC graphics. The good news Impact still lives on at DBJ for past 21 years. The station has used V2 of Impact for a very long time they have now updated to V5 of Impact.

Screenshot_20171223-212031.thumb.png.76cd5aa3cc7506ae4d6d68ef8a47abb3.png

20171223_213053.thumb.png.dd78e96441a890aac145dcc5f5d70e9c.png

Screenshot_20171223-212017.thumb.png.170ba32bcdc07f3165ad883563e64e5d.png

You'd think that it was a Sinclair station looking at those graphics.

Gray doesn't seem to have a standard package, with the exception of weather, though. It's not quite the hard hands-off approach of Meredith, but it isn't a mandatory standard like most other companies.

These were done in-house by the Gray Graphics Hub. This is actually a modified version of a syndicated package called "Modern" though it's one of the older packages the Hub offers and stylistically it's probably one of my least favorites. I'm surprised WDBJ went in this direction when the look KWCH just got (FishTank2) would have fit them much better.

ALL Gray stations use syndicated looks from the Hub, so while it's mentioned earlier in this thread that the stations don't have the Meredith style of freedom with graphic choices but are not stuck with a standardized package, we do have freedom to choose but we can really only choose what options are presented to us. Thankfully Heath Miller and the team at the hub churn out a new package fairly regularly and then it takes about 6-8 weeks for a station to receive a new full graphics package (which is also why Gray stations tend to change graphics more frequently).

Is KVLY still using Hoak graphics or they gray

That's a tossup. It doesn't look like anything Gray would do, but then again the persistent story L3 and the skyline opens do look like something Gray would do. My guess is they're using a lot of elements of an old package and got the Gray Hub to update some elements. To be honest, it doesn't look uniform.

Archived