Copyright Permission: News Music for personal use

jbnews

I have tried before to contact companies asking for a news music package for personal listening purposes. They've all told me no, citing copyright laws. Has anyone ever tried sending a copyright permission request to the companies that own the music? If so...

1. How did it go?

2. Does one have a good chance of getting the music?

3. Any tips/tricks to turn the tables more in your favor?

Thanks!

I have tried before to contact companies asking for a news music package for personal listening purposes. They've all told me no, citing copyright laws. Has anyone ever tried sending a copyright permission request to the companies that own the music? If so...

1. How did it go?

2. Does one have a good chance of getting the music?

3. Any tips/tricks to turn the tables more in your favor?

Thanks!

Firstly, there is no such thing as a "copyright permission request." The closest thing is a license, and I explained that in the last thread you posted about news music.

The companies clearly do not want individuals to have news music packages. Period. That is their right as the owners of the music in question. They're not in the business of giving things out to free to random people on the internet, they're in the business of licensing their music (at the cost of thousands and thousands of dollars per year) to television stations. Groups like ASCAP and BMI also exist to make sure the people that composed and performed the music get paid for their work.

There's a reason news music trading is banned on this site. Because I don't want to deal with the lawyers from ASCAP or BMI or Warner-Chappell invoking their legal rights to stop their intellectual property from being freely traded on here.

This is the last time I will allow a thread like this to stay up. There is no "legal" way for you to obtain 95% of the news music that is out there.

Firstly, there is no such thing as a "copyright permission request." The closest thing is a license, and I explained that in the last thread you posted about news music.

The companies clearly do not want individuals to have news music packages. Period. That is their right as the owners of the music in question. They're not in the business of giving things out to free to random people on the internet, they're in the business of licensing their music (at the cost of thousands and thousands of dollars per year) to television stations. Groups like ASCAP and BMI also exist to make sure the people that composed and performed the music get paid for their work.

There's a reason news music trading is banned on this site. Because I don't want to deal with the lawyers from ASCAP or BMI or Warner-Chappell invoking their legal rights to stop their intellectual property from being freely traded on here.

This is the last time I will allow a thread like this to stay up. There is no "legal" way for you to obtain 95% of the news music that is out there.

Well, then how does the NMSA exist? The music they have is contributed by individuals. How does News Music Now get all of their music? The companies know about it. WCPM recently retweeted a post in which NMN announced they added new cuts from a package to their website. Why was there a podcast from Gimlet Media which had Victor Vlam of networknewsmusic.com (who is a private collector and involved with trading) along with composers, etc. of music companies? They would have to know from that podcast that he has their music. Heck, Gimlet Media even posted the document of one of Victor's playlists on Twitter!

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but I know there are ways people have music and the companies know about it.

And yes, there is such a thing as a copyright permission request. Google it.

Well, then how does the NMSA exist? The music they have is contributed by individuals. How does News Music Now get all of their music? The companies know about it. WCPM recently retweeted a post in which NMN announced they added new cuts from a package to their website. Why was there a podcast from Gimlet Media which had Victor Vlam of networknewsmusic.com (who is a private collector and involved with trading) along with composers, etc. of music companies? They would have to know from that podcast that he has their music. Heck, Gimlet Media even posted the document of one of Victor's playlists on Twitter!

Websites that are sharing comp tracks (i.e. the NMSA) or tracks that aren't explicity for download (the NMSA, Network News Music, TVPMM, etc) can claim "fair use", but once you start talking about offering downloads of entire packages, that goes out the window. I also seem to recall years ago that NMN was having issues with the companies sending DMCA notices to their host (when you could download tracks off the site with one click). The companies might even be working with some of these sites, sending them comp reels or select tracks for the purposes of promoting their products.

In fact, now that I looked at NMN for the first time in years, they seem to have added an audio watermark to all their tracks, which may have been a thing added after the companies complained.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but I know there are ways people have music and the companies know about it.

A lot of the music being traded out there has been leaked out of stations that have the music. It's NOT coming from the companies themselves. Yeah, they know the music gets out. But that doesn't mean they support it. In fact, I know Gari and Stephen Arnold have switched to a digital distribution method that discourages stations from downloading an entire package at once.

And yes, there is such a thing as a copyright permission request. Google it.

If a company has told you "no" then a quasi-official-looking form letter is still going to get you a "no".

Archived