2018-19 Syndication News

The Frog

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

Not exactly syndication news, but DAYS OF OUR LIVES has been renewed through 2019-2020, so any potential syndicated fair  will not be replacing it.

I imagine NBC will manage to keep that hour if cancelled,  However it’s clear they are taking it by ear - they’ve only been giving them one or at max two year renewals for the past several years. 

3 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I imagine NBC will manage to keep that hour if cancelled,  However it’s clear they are taking it by ear - they’ve only been giving them one or at max two year renewals for the past several years. 

Oh, there's no way that's happening. While ABC has kept the 1 p.m. hour for its new programs, I think once NBC gets rid of Days of our Lives, that's it for them at 1 p.m. I bet you NBC affiliates wished Today went to three hours so that it could air more syndicated programming but NBC will never go that route so the 1 p.m. hour would probably be best to go.

10 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Oh, there's no way that's happening. While ABC has kept the 1 p.m. hour for its new programs, I think once NBC gets rid of Days of our Lives, that's it for them at 1 p.m. I bet you NBC affiliates wished Today went to three hours so that it could air more syndicated programming but NBC will never go that route so the 1 p.m. hour would probably be best to go.

I know you hate soaps, but if they cancel Days eventually, I doubt NBC will give it back to the affiliates for syndicated fare. As long as Days continues to perform okay, there is no reason to cancel it.

WBTV appears to have dropped “Me Time With Frangela.” It was created for the Raycom stations this past fall and it aired at 9:30 am after “Morning Break” which forced WBTV to move the second half hour to Facebook only. Now “Morning Break” is a full hour once again. I figured WBTV would put “Me Time” after the Late Late Show at 1:37 am but it appears they will continue to air infomercials during that time, and it isn’t on 3.2 or 3.3 either according to listings. 

• 2 weeks later...

In recent weeks, Wendy Williams' show has been without Wendy.  Her Christmas-New Year's break has been extended once.  Just before the break for the holidays, it was mentioned that some kind of fracture had happened to her shoulder.  The last few episodes prior to the break showed Wendy with her right arm folded without the use of a sling, and she was seated for most of those shows.  The initial extension of the time away was supposed to end last week, but it was revealed that another week was necessary for Wendy's condition to heal.  So the producers improvised with the episodes this week being a "hot talk week" and 4 different on-stage co-hosts each day.  Now, today, comes word that the return by Wendy to her show will take much longer, per this Facebook post:

A Note from The Hunter Family
As Wendy Williams Hunter previously shared, she fractured her shoulder and has been on the mend. Over the past few days, Wendy has experienced complications regarding her Graves’ Disease that will require treatment. Wendy will be under the strict supervision of her physicians, and as part of her care, there will be significant time spent in the hospital. Despite her strong desire to return, she is taking a necessary, extended break from her show to focus on her personal and physical well-being. 
Wendy thanks everyone in advance for their well-wishes and for respecting her and The Hunter Family's privacy during this time.

Statement from Debmar-Mercury
For over ten years, Wendy has been a vital part of the Debmar-Mercury family. We wholeheartedly support Wendy in this decision to take the time she needs and we will welcome her back with open arms the moment she is ready.

The Wendy Williams Show will air repeat episodes the week of January 21st and will produce original episodes with a variety of hosts starting the week of January 28th.

Social media, of course, has been wildly buzzing of alternate reasons why Wendy is really away from her show.  But in the meantime, it is strange that now there is no clear timeframe mentioned for Wendy to be back with new in-person episodes.  Hopefully she is on the mend and will be better soon.  I wonder how much the improvising/repeats/guest-eps are having on ratings and the future of the show.  IIRR, it is on contract through the 2019-2020 season.

• 3 weeks later...

Update in syndie circuit: 

Caught In Providence is renewed for season 2. https://tvnewscheck.com/article/228261/syndicated-caught-providence-renewed/ 

Big doings at NATPE: https://tvnewscheck.com/article/228562/big-doings-natpe-clarkson-hall-vieira-robbins/

Highlights include: 

- 25 words or less sold 75% of country to Fox, Sinclair, Gray, Hearst, CBS, Scripps, Northwest + Tribune (soon Nexstar) stations

-'Tamron Hall' sold to Disney, Cox, Sinclair, Meredith and Scripps stations. Rumors speculate ABC O&Os may remove Millionaire/RTM combo from daytime lineup to make room. 

-CBS TD already tested a talk show with educator and motivational speaker Dr. Steve Perry on Fox stations in eight markets, including NY (WNYW) + LA (KTTV). It lasted just 2 wks on 1/7 with no word on further developments.

-MGM shopping out two half-hour shows — The Drama + Personal Injury Court (in the vein of Paternity Court + Couples Court)

- PPI Partners which offers cheap barter canadian content such as Cityline, The Listener + Just for Laughs, shopping another with true crime 'Forensic Factor'.

- Entertainment Studios offering 'The World’s Funniest Weather'. Because people are too lazy to search for stuff on youtube apparently. 

-WB tested talk show pilot featuring Rupaul failed to get traction at NATPE. Though Debmar Mercury is testing two other respective shows with Jerry O' connell + Will Packer.

Apparently in the 'If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?' files: Top 30 just ended its run this past friday, which I'm sure made it swell for stations scrambling to change their skeds real quick. 

Judge Jerry sold 90% of US to Tribune, Sinclair, Weigel, Hearst, Cox, Sun Beam, Block, Raycom, Tegna, Scripps, Meredith and Capital stations. 

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/judge-jerry-sold-in-90-of-u-s 

Although not syndie, on a somber note, veteran actor Kristoff St. John from The Young + The Restless was found dead at his home in Los Angeles yesterday. He was 52. Condolences to all who knew + loved. Rest in Peace. Sleep well. 

https://deadline.com/2019/02/kristoff-st-john-dies-young-the-restless-actor-52-daytime-emmy-awards-1202549027/

Not surprised at all that Top 30 got canceled watched 1 EP during its test run in Summer of 16 I didn't really like it all that much why I didn't watch it when it returned in the fall of 17 which it went on WOTV's sister station WXSP. From TV Titan looks like Paid Programming is on at 12AM on WXSP I think they should just put Chi PD a half hour early then put a a full hour of Cops or Live PD Police Patrol or a second run of RTM just my opinion.  

On 2/4/2019 at 8:15 PM, justin2kx said:

Apparently in the 'If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?' files: Top 30 just ended its run this past friday, which I'm sure made it swell for stations scrambling to change their skeds real quick. 

It wasn't a bad show (nobody would miss any of the 'Here's our YouTube playlist with a bunch of bad snark' shows, and at least it had original content in the playlist), but the problem of 'here's a video you didn't ask for, now watch for Facebook $$, peasant!' issue of autoplay video on websites doesn't really work with a thirty minute television show.

In Milwaukee, WVTV just switched in one basement dweller for another in its timeslot with Celebrity Page, a show stuck with disastrous circumstances where content provider Meredith can't grab People or EW content for it because those magazines have ego-driven deals from the Time era to have 'TV shows' on their own websites.

Meanwhile, the new show without a peep seems to be Face the Truth, which has less than negative buzz. Hoping to hear something about that soon.

And as mentioned in the WUAB thread for Cleveland, Frangela got an extreme downgrade from 9:30am on WOIO to 2:30am on WUAB as part of the move of MyNet to WOIO's MeTV subchannel.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:15 PM, justin2kx said:

Not surprised this was going to eventually happen, as many of it's stations buried it deep in the graveyard slot, often even as a lead-in to their morning newscasts.

WJBK is one such station. They aired it at 4 AM since they picked up Top 30, but when they expanded their morning newscast to 4 AM, Top 30 went to slowly die at 3:30 AM. They're now running TMZ reruns at 3:30 AM.

11 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

Not surprised at all that Top 30 got canceled watched 1 EP during its test run in Summer of 16 I didn't really like it all that much why I didn't watch it when it returned in the fall of 17 which it went on WOTV's sister station WXSP. From TV Titan looks like Paid Programming is on at 12AM on WXSP I think they should just put Chi PD a half hour early then put a a full hour of Cops or Live PD Police Patrol or a second run of RTM just my opinion.  

If memory serves me right there were a whole bunch of markets that never even got Top 30. I can't think of anyone in any of New England who picked it up for several.

Regarding Frangela, looks like WMC has dropped it from their schedule *entirely* as of last Monday (1-28). They've replaced it with a repeat of their lifestyle show, Bluff City Life. That means two repeats of Bluff City Life now air on weekdays... this new 2:30PM timeslot, plus the existing 1:30AM overnight airing. (New episodes air at 3PM.)

28 minutes ago, memnews said:

Regarding Frangela, looks like WMC has dropped it from their schedule *entirely* as of last Monday (1-28). They've replaced it with a repeat of their lifestyle show, Bluff City Life. That means two repeats of Bluff City Life now air on weekdays... this new 2:30PM timeslot, plus the existing 1:30AM overnight airing. (New episodes air at 3PM.)

I'm sure a station in Memphis can do better than that. Former Raycom stations are lazy enough on syndicated offerings as it is (other than Frangela, KSLA only has Millionaire and Right This Minute), but I'd expect more from a station like WMC.

12 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

I'm sure a station in Memphis can do better than that. Former Raycom stations are lazy enough on syndicated offerings as it is (other than Frangela, KSLA only has Millionaire and Right This Minute), but I'd expect more from a station like WMC.

I agree. Besides Dateline, which airs at 2:05AM, and Live with Kelly and Ryan, WMC has nothing in the way of non-Raycom syndicated fare. Frangela forced them to drop Ellen this year.

I mentioned this in the Out & About thread, but I'll post it again: WWBT dropped "Me Time with Frangela" and replaced it with "Right This Minute" in the 2pm slot Monday. "Daily Blast Live" continues at 2:30. The station also dropped "Inside Edition" at 4:30 for an extension of their 4pm newscast (the newscast on sister station WUPV - which moved from 6:30pm to 4:30pm back in September 2017 - is no more and was replaced by a second airing of "Hot Bench"). "Inside Edition" continues to air at 7:30 after "ET".

I think MeTime looks to be history after this season.  No way with the show either dropped altogether or moved to worse time slots will it continue much longer.

If it wasn't for the Gray merger, it would remain as is like past Raycom shows.

With MeTime being relegated to overnights on WUAB, that leaves Family Feud and the Sony game shows as the only syndicated fare on WOIO.

19 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Former Raycom stations are lazy enough on syndicated offerings as it is

To be fair, WOIO has always had scheduling issues dating back to its early years as a CBS affiliate, when Malrite owned the station. Raycom just never resolved them under its stewardship (partially explains why Action News had lousy ratings in the 4-6:30pm slot once Guiding Light ended and Let's Make a Deal went to the 10am slot). When your lead-in to a 4-6:30 block of newscasts is FAMILY FEUD, you're in trouble.

8 hours ago, memnews said:

I agree. Besides Dateline, which airs at 2:05AM, and Live with Kelly and Ryan, WMC has nothing in the way of non-Raycom syndicated fare. Frangela forced them to drop Ellen this year.

Frangela and Daily Blast Live forced WWBT to drop Rachael Ray from the 2pm slot. Now Rachael's show is on WRIC after ABC's Nightline.

My guesses on who will get what in Atlanta (besides Kelly Clarkson's talker on WAGA):

Judge Jerry--Either WATL or WPCH

Tamron Hall--WSB (hopefully at the graveyard 2:00 am slot, replacing Face The Truth)

25 Words or Less--WAGA (replacing the Page Six TV repeat at 2:00 pm) or WUPA

WXIA is expected to remain status quo; as for Top 30? After WAGA tested it in summer 2016, no one else picked it up for the long haul.

granted its from Radar Online so take it with a grain of salt, but is it plausible though?

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2019/02/steve-harvey-replace-wendy-williams-amid-health-crisis/

Also, the show been testing out guest host to fill in wendy's extensive absence.  A panel of 'hot topics' panelists lasted for two other weeks. It went solo with Nick Cannon hosted earlier this week, Jason Biggs this past thursday + Keke Palmer wrapping up on Friday. Former View co-host Sherri Shepherd, Michael Rapaport + Jerry O’Connell (who filled in before) are all scheduled to fill in next week. 

On 1/10/2019 at 1:53 PM, Nelson R. said:

WBTV appears to have dropped “Me Time With Frangela.” It was created for the Raycom stations this past fall and it aired at 9:30 am after “Morning Break” which forced WBTV to move the second half hour to Facebook only. Now “Morning Break” is a full hour once again. I figured WBTV would put “Me Time” after the Late Late Show at 1:37 am but it appears they will continue to air infomercials during that time, and it isn’t on 3.2 or 3.3 either according to listings. 

Update: As I figured, they have indeed put “Me Time” at 1:37 after the “Late Late Show”

The Raycom shows will get canceled once the fall time comes as it seems they are late at night in the graveyard.

My guesses I think Kelly Clarkson goes on WOTV 4 in the afternoon 12PM since that is paid programming, 4PM putting The Goldbergs or Blackish on WXSP. Or WZZM at 10AM if they get rid of Sister Circle as that has been a dead spot for them for years. Outside chance of Kelly going on WWMT replacing Steve talk show.

I think Ms. Hall's talk show will be on WWMT just my opinion will not know until promos comes out in late July.     

Archived