2018-19 Syndication News

The Frog

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because of a lacking flow of celebrities coming to Chicago, Steve didn't want his show turning into an advice show, doing nothing but relationship bits, civilian feel good stories, and argument moderation. The move to Los Angeles was costly, and the day to day production costs more, too. Unfortunately, ratings have not increased with the move and rebrand, so the show doesn't make money (if it all), like it used to. You could also add the fact that the higher profile guests haven't quite materialized like they'd hoped as a contributing factor.

I bolded this part of a sentence because I wanna ask, even though the question might answer itself, thus feeling foolish but here we go. Don't celebrities go to any or all shows, no matter where it's located, to promote anything that'll give them maximum exposure (blockbusters, hit shows) or they go mainly for NY + LA during domestic/int'l press tour because it's NY + LA? Oprah was exception to the rule though of course. Though not syndie, but How Windy City LIVE's doing with attracting high level talent? You'd think one like steve would have a clout to bring the stars in but not quite materialized, but then again Harry Connick Jr's recently ended talk show didn't draw that many a-level types either (except certain moments) thus had to settle for mainly b or at times c level types + it was located in NY. I thought that show should've located in New Orleans for his love of the city but I digress.

I bolded this part of a sentence because I wanna ask, even though the question might answer itself, thus feeling foolish but here we go. Don't celebrities go to any or all shows, no matter where it's located, to promote anything that'll give them maximum exposure (blockbusters, hit shows) or they go mainly for NY + LA during domestic/int'l press tour because it's NY + LA? Oprah was exception to the rule though of course. Though not syndie, but How Windy City LIVE's doing with attracting high level talent? You'd think one like steve would have a clout to bring the stars in but not quite materialized, but then again Harry Connick Jr's recently ended talk show didn't draw that many a-level types either (except certain moments) thus had to settle for mainly b or at times c level types + it was located in NY. I thought that show should've located in New Orleans for his love of the city but I digress.

Windy City Live does "okay," but the expectations are lower. The thing with Oprah, is that that crew knew how to balance big gets with no names, and not being as topical as other programs, thus being able to backlog episodes and not having to air them on a short turnaround. By that, I'm comparing Oprah (and what Harvey's show was striving for) to shows like Ellen, that are more in line with the late night shows and are built on timely promotion.

I hope they don't displace Days of Our Lives for Kelly Clarkson.

Doubtful.

Days is still doing very well for the Peacock (and has been renewed for at least another year), and Clarkson's show is only replacing Steve in what won't be his timeslot on it for long. Cancelling an iconic 50-plus year old soap opera for a popular singer that currently did just two seasons on The Voice would be TV suicide (a permanent solution to a temporary problem

[one in this case that doesn't exist]).

KMBC is ABC so that squashes midday Newscast intill Wilkos goes away.

I'm going to respond to this one in two different ways. Either you got KMBC mixed up with KCWE and think that KCWE can't launch a KMBC-produced Midday show until Wilkos goes off or you think that KMBC can't launch a show until The Real, which airs on 9 at 11 goes away.

If the first option is the case, they can simply do one at 12pm and move Wilkos elsewhere on the KCWE schedule. If the 2nd option is the case, they can start airing the View in pattern, air an 11am newscast and move the Real over to KCWE.

• 2 weeks later...

I can officially confirm that WWJ now airs Entertainment Tonight at 11 PM. This makes them the third Detroit station to have aired this show.

WMYD now runs Funny You Should Ask in the 7 PM hour as a replacement for ET. They also now run Live PD in the 4 PM hour as a replacement for Crime Watch Daily and they now run Caught in Providence in the 10 AM hour. WMYD no longer airs Jerry Springer, which is now exclusively on WKBD.

• 3 weeks later...

Not surprising, at all. NBC wants to keep the tax subsidies from CT, the netlet stations still need to fill an hour, Jerry gets a much lighter workload and his staff will only be too happy to switch from 'chaos talk' to the guests staying behind the bar with some basic ground rules to fix their disputes. Win-win for them...but man, syndication is stuck on an uninspired and rutty road as streaming services pass it on the expressway.

• 1 month later...

Tamron Hall's new talk show, tentatively titled "Tamron" is now sold in 50% of the country. It's set to debut in Fall 2019.

I know from internal sources that WSMV in Nashville will air the show next fall, that's also how I know the tentative title.

Now the question remains which show is getting the boot, whether it's Face the Truth or Rachael Ray. My money is on FTT, because it has done nothing but given us complaint calls, particularly from Dr. Oz fans which that show replaced.

8 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Tamron Hall's new talk show, tentatively titled "Tamron" is now sold in 50% of the country. It's set to debut in Fall 2019.

I know from internal sources that WSMV in Nashville will air the show next fall, that's also how I know the tentative title.

Now the question remains which show is getting the boot, whether it's Face the Truth or Rachael Ray. My money is on FTT, because it has done nothing but given us complaint calls, particularly from Dr. Oz fans which that show replaced.

Where is Dr. Oz airing at in Nashville?

9 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Curious re: “Face the Truth”: Are these complaint calls to your station in regards to the topics covered or the behavior of the guests themselves, or both???

19 minutes ago, J1975am said:

Curious re: “Face the Truth”: Are these complaint calls to your station in regards to the topics covered or the behavior of the guests themselves, or both???

Are they as crazy as some of the 90's era Springer topics such as "I Married a Horse" or "Daddy, Will You Marry Me?"

13 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

FTT has little to no buzz, so bad in Milwaukee that WDJT gave up its overnight airing after a week for Andy Griffith reruns. It's still on in the mornings on WMLW, but against TPIR on their sister station? You might as well throw on a test pattern and get the same results (WMLW has no promos for it at all). Rachael may be airing at 1:05 in Milwaukee, but it'll keep chugging along as it's pretty much an easy PR stop and Rachael still enjoys doing the show.

3 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

From what I've seen, it's just garden-variety Dr. Phil-type topics.

Considering it's another generic Nepotism Incorpo--er, I mean, Stage 29 production, it might as well be called Dr. Phil's Reject Pile.

4 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

From what I've seen, it's just garden-variety Dr. Phil-type topics.

It's pretty bad. It's like The Doctors but with a group of women usually calling people out for dumb decisions and stuff. It's hosted by Vivica A. Fox who is decent as a host but the panel is pretty awful.

6 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Where is Dr. Oz airing at in Nashville?

Last I heard it was on WTVF 5.2 or NewsChannel 5+

4 hours ago, J1975am said:

Because it isn't Dr. Oz. Nobody likes change.

14 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Her show is naturally airing on the ABC O&Os and Hearst cleared it in all their markets. 

18 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

That's nothing. In Cleveland, WUAB airs FTT at 7am. I think it replaced an infomercial and an airing of Extra but that is a bad place to put it.

Archived