2018-19 Syndication News

The Frog

There are some that do, but not many: https://www.accessonline.com/stations/

WCMH had Access Hollywood for much of its time under NBC and its first four years under Media General. WSYX ended up picking it up in 2011 when Media General began to make heavy cuts and began to move away from NBC as WCMH’s primary syndicator.

They still largely program themselves similarly to an NBC O&O, such as Steve Harvey, Extra, Ellen, etc.

Access Hollywood returning would be a logical move for the station. The 7pm hour could be a tabloid hour - EXTRA at 7 and Access Hollywood at 7:30, leading into NBC primetime.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WCMH had Access Hollywood for much of its time under NBC and its first four years under Media General. WSYX ended up picking it up in 2011 when Media General began to make heavy cuts and began to move away from NBC as WCMH’s primary syndicator.

They still largely program themselves similarly to an NBC O&O, such as Steve Harvey, Extra, Ellen, etc.

Access Hollywood returning would be a logical move for the station. The 7pm hour could be a tabloid hour - EXTRA at 7 and Access Hollywood at 7:30, leading into NBC primetime.

Interesting footnote. All of these shows run on KTBS/KPXJ in Shreveport, though I largely assumed that KTBS was trying to program themselves similar to Hearst stations, which also feature these shows in many markets.

In addition to WSYX airing The Doctors at 3 p.m., they are also airing it at 1:37a.m. after Seinfeld in place of Harry. Not sure if it's Doctors day delay, or if it's the primary run being re-ran.

And yes, Seinfeld for me is part of my small appointment viewing (I work 2nd shift, so I've just gotten home at 1 a.m.) :cool:

In addition to WSYX airing The Doctors at 3 p.m., they are also airing it at 1:37a.m. after Seinfeld in place of Harry. Not sure if it's Doctors day delay, or if it's the primary run being re-ran.

And yes, Seinfeld for me is part of my small appointment viewing (I work 2nd shift, so I've just gotten home at 1 a.m.) :cool:

Ah Seinfeld on WSYX...it was must see TV for me back in the day when they ran it at 11:35 after the news, pushing Nightline to midnight, and later the delay/pre-empting of Bill Maher and delay of JKL. IIRC they pushed it to 1am while WCHS didn't carry it all at the time.

Meanwhile, WVAH kept pushing the Simpsons later and later, and even removed it for a while, only to bring it back at 1am....(this was back in 2002-2003ish). We got them instead of WTTE at the time since I was in Athens, Ohio (smack dab between both Columbus and Charleston-Huntington, and has bounced between both markets over the years...) Of course, WTTE at the time ran them twice a day at a reasonable hour....

So needless to say I had a front row seat of Sinclair's antics before they got REALLY bad....

Ah Seinfeld on WSYX...it was must see TV for me back in the day when they ran it at 11:35 after the news, pushing Nightline to midnight, and later the delay/pre-empting of Bill Maher and delay of JKL. IIRC they pushed it to 1am while WCHS didn't carry it all at the time.

Meanwhile, WVAH kept pushing the Simpsons later and later, and even removed it for a while, only to bring it back at 1am....(this was back in 2002-2003ish). We got them instead of WTTE at the time since I was in Athens, Ohio (smack dab between both Columbus and Charleston-Huntington, and has bounced between both markets over the years...) Of course, WTTE at the time ran them twice a day at a reasonable hour....

So needless to say I had a front row seat of Sinclair's antics before they got REALLY bad....

Seinfeld has been on WSYX ever since it entered syndication in the early 1990s. For a time WKEF even ran it at 5pm just before they snagged Judge Judy from WHIO in ‘98.

I’ve noticed WBNS and WSYX liked to program sitcoms in overnights... for a time WBNS had Married with Children, later Caroline in the City post-Letterman and WSYX had Mad About You or Roseanne at 5:30am after WNN.

By accident, I discovered that WLS is now carrying 'Millionaire' at 1:35am, after the 10pm rebroadcast, and replacing one of the double-runs of 'Right This Minute.' Despite being on the air so long, I believe this is the first time the ABC O&O has aired the game show.

Charlotte update:

Access Live is being picked up by WJZY/WMYT starting tomorrow. It will be on WMYT at 11am and WJZY at 4pm. WJZY moves TMZ Live from 5pm to 3pm to make room for their new 5pm newscast. Also WMYT will have a run of TMZ Live at 10am and The Real at noon.

I apologize if this has been posted before, but did Tribune pick up the syndicated rights to Wipe Out? I just noticed WTVR and WDCW are currently airing it.

Wipeout did indeed go into syndication, but I completely forgot it was going to (WMLW took it in Milwaukee, so obviously WITI hard-passed on it). Another 'wow, that's in syndication?!' surprise is Mantracker, which last aired a new episode in 2012 (but Program Partners really knows how to sell Cancon filler to stations to act as during football-late night weekend filler).

I thought that Page Six TV was going to move no way it was going to stay at 10:30AM on WZZM as they are going to be putting Sister Circle on for a full hour at 10AM to 11AM was only a half hour because of Page Six TV as it is moving to WXSP at 11PM same day not on a 1 day delay at 10:30AM beginning tomorrow. Everything stays the same on WWMT, Wood TV, WZZM, WOTV moving The Goldburgs to 4PM to 5PM Black-ish airing at 5PM to 6PM.

WXSP going to air Chi PD Sep 24TH at 12:30AM replacing Frenic Files to the weekends only, Live PD Police Patrol will be on at 1:30AM for it's first week only will move to 2AM the following week replacing The Cleveland Show. Seinfeld is going into early access prime which hasn't been aired there since June of 06 M-F when Fox17 had it then moved it to 11PM then moved to WXSP in winter of 12 or 13 where they put it on at 11PM or 11:30PM comes on Sunday at 6PM to 7PM. Moving Funny You Should Ask to 8:30AM replacing Judge Faith in that time slot. Took How I Met Your Mother from Fox17 a couple of weeks ago on at 5PM to 6PM Mom moved from 5PM to 4PM to 5PM now. Face The Truth is on at 11AM to 12PM.

CW7 has Jerry Springer at 3PM where it was on WXSP at 10AM which now has paid porgramming & Right This Minute at 10:30AM. Cought In Providence will air at 2:30PM & 1AM replacing Anger Management. I think CW7 has Wipeout on the weekends at 1PM to 3PM on Sundays thought that was going to be on WOTV as TV Titan had it there but also on CW7 whichg Nexstar doesn't own CW7 that is Sinclair on the subchannel of WWMT .2. The Doctors is now on at 11AM after a 10 year run on Lin, Media General & Nexstar TV stations for 10 years either on Wood TV then WOTV then WXSP for the past few years. Sorry for rambling on.

I just noticed that the local CW station here, WPCW has a two hour block of family Feud weeknights 6-8. Seems like overkill. 6-7 appears to be repeats from season 18 and 7-8 seem to be the current episodes from season 20.

http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/ct-kelly-clarkson-talk-show-20180919-story.html

Kelly Clarkson has been cleared for all the major NBC O&Os. It will air before Ellen. Will Steve Harvey move? Will Access Live be cancelled?

I wonder why WBTS isn't on said list. Unintentional oversight or a deal with Hearst looming in the wings?

That said, WBTS did just dump Access Live...for Daily Mail TV. That might be a harbinger for how much of a future Access Live may have.

http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/ct-kelly-clarkson-talk-show-20180919-story.html

Kelly Clarkson has been cleared for all the major NBC O&Os. It will air before Ellen. Will Steve Harvey move? Will Access Live be cancelled?

It's been confirmed. Steve Harvey has been cancelled.

https://www.bet.com/celebrities/news/2018/09/19/steve-harvey-lost-talk-show-to-pop-star.html

The first version of his show did well and brought in good ratings. Not sure why he tried to turn into an Ellen clone for the second version. In any case, that’s disappointing.

Unrelated: KRNB here in Dallas dropped his morning radio show, too.

This really doesn't make any sense. NBC has a spot on the CW open just sitting there consisting of Jerry Springer repeats. Wouldn't it have made better sense to put Kelly Clarkson on the CW or move Steve up to the CW? I thought Steve was beating Jerry AND Maury in the ratings?

The first version of his show did well and brought in good ratings. Not sure why he tried to turn into an Ellen clone for the second version. In any case, that’s disappointing.

Unrelated: KRNB here in Dallas dropped his morning radio show, too.

IIRC, the reason that his show was rebooted was to get more quality guests in LA, plus the original incarnation was reportedly more expensive than the reboot.

Because of a lacking flow of celebrities coming to Chicago, Steve didn't want his show turning into an advice show, doing nothing but relationship bits, civilian feel good stories, and argument moderation. The move to Los Angeles was costly, and the day to day production costs more, too. Unfortunately, ratings have not increased with the move and rebrand, so the show doesn't make money (if it all), like it used to. You could also add the fact that the higher profile guests haven't quite materialized like they'd hoped as a contributing factor.

This really doesn't make any sense. NBC has a spot on the CW open just sitting there consisting of Jerry Springer repeats. Wouldn't it have made better sense to put Kelly Clarkson on the CW or move Steve up to the CW? I thought Steve was beating Jerry AND Maury in the ratings?

The CW (along with Tribune, the timelot lessee) is merely just trying to keep the lights on to keep their 'dibs' on the timeslot. They could put on a cheap $10 'viral video reaction show', but at this point the Springer reruns are already in the can for little money, so that's what we have for now. NBCU isn't really involved outside of cashing the check the CW and Tribune sends them for the reruns and the ad cut.

Wait, wait, wait, wait. I didn't read anything that says 'cancelled' but losing the spot. Black sources are reporting as such but not others. Granted, it's now a tall task but still, per deadline:

"It is not clear what will happen to Steve, produced by IMG Original Content, which replaced the Endemol Shine North America-produced Steve Harvey starting last fall. It is being distributed by NBCU TV Distribution but I hear the company has been telling stations it would no longer handle it. IMG could take it elsewhere, and I hear that the company has had preliminary conversations. In the new incarnation under new ownership structure, Steve, which relocated from Chicago to Los Angeles, is pretty expensive, which could make finding a new home challenging, but I hear IMG intends to continue with the show."

There are possibilities for the show should it continue. Would it move to the FOX stations next fall or would it bump off 'Access Live' on some NBC stations? (latter may result in cancellation)

According to BET, Steve's show has only been dropped on NBC O&O stations.

https://www.bet.com/celebrities/news/2018/09/20/steve-harvey-team-shuts-down-rumors-canceled.html

Steve upset his base and lost some support in the black community after meeting with Trump. His radio show in Charlotte was a strong #1 for nearly 10 years, but has fallen behind in several demos. Both of his shows, Family Feud and Steve have been flat or down the last couple of years here as well.

Archived