2018-19 Syndication News

The Frog

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what I can find out from DC as well as WTVR & WRLH.. (accurate as of 8/30/18)

WRC: No changes

WTTG: Dr. Oz moves to 1pm replacing Harry

WTVR: No changes

WJLA: No changes

WUSA: No changes

WDCA: Face the Truth from Noon-1pm replacing Dr. Oz, The Big Bang Theory moves to 5pm replacing Anger Management

WDVM: No changes

WRLH: Sins & Secrets from 3:30am-4:30am replacing Harry, The Doctors moves to 9am replacing Jerry Springer, Millionaire from 1pm-2pm replacing The Doctors, Face the Truth from 3pm-4pm replacing Jerry Springer.

WDCW: Sins & Secrets from 8am-9am replacing Jerry Springer, Couples Court & Judge Hatchett from noon-1pm replacing Crime Watch Daily, Jerry Springer to 3pm replacing Robert Irvine.

The only new changes to the weekday syndication lineup in Oklahoma City are as follows:

Access Live has moved from KSBI to KOCO in the 11am slot (replacing Harry)

KSBI has added Pickler and Ben (which on the official website it'll debut on 9/17 in the 9am slot) and Live PD: Police Patrol in the 4pm slot to compensate for the loss of Access Live (IMO Access Live should've moved to KAUT and The Real should've moved to 11am or 9am and allow the 9am newscast to shift to 11am. It's unacceptable for a market the size of OKC to have one of the top syndicated shows like The Real to air in an overnight timeslot, but I don't run or make programming decisions so I'll leave it at that)

KAUT has not announced their replacement for Crime Watch Daily in the 4pm slot as of yet

There has been no newscast lineup changes as of this post which is not a surpise considering that the owners in the OKC market have done little in terms of adding in new syndicated shows and/or add newscasts over the last several years, but I think it simply goes back to the fact that the owners are just too lazy to add the better syndicated programming or add newscasts (looking at you Griffin who has done little to KSBI since they acquired the station in 2014)

Sorry for a long post but, this is 2018 folks. You as a Top 50 market that's almost in the 30s DMA size wise cannot be this stagnant year in and year out, I've seen markets the size of Oklahoma City add in better syndicated programming and/or new newscasts than you can shake a stick at over the last several years

The only new changes to the weekday syndication lineup in Oklahoma City are as follows:

Access Live has moved from KSBI to KOCO in the 11am slot (replacing Harry)

KSBI has added Pickler and Ben (which on the official website it'll debut on 9/17 in the 9am slot) and Live PD: Police Patrol in the 4pm slot to compensate for the loss of Access Live (IMO Access Live should've moved to KAUT and The Real should've moved to 11am or 9am and allow the 9am newscast to shift to 11am. It's unacceptable for a market the size of OKC to have one of the top syndicated shows like The Real to air in an overnight timeslot, but I don't run or make programming decisions so I'll leave it at that)

KAUT has not announced their replacement for Crime Watch Daily in the 4pm slot as of yet

There has been no newscast lineup changes as of this post which is not a surpise considering that the owners in the OKC market have done little in terms of adding in new syndicated shows and/or add newscasts over the last several years, but I think it simply goes back to the fact that the owners are just too lazy to add the better syndicated programming or add newscasts (looking at you Griffin who has done little to KSBI since they acquired the station in 2014)

Sorry for a long post but, this is 2018 folks. You as a Top 50 market that's almost in the 30s DMA size wise cannot be this stagnant year in and year out, I've seen markets the size of Oklahoma City add in better syndicated programming and/or new newscasts than you can shake a stick at over the last several years

Griffin has done more to KQCW than to KSBI.

Griffin has done more to KQCW than to KSBI.

You don't say? For Griffin to own strong CBS affiliates in both markets where they are and to have KQCW as strong as it is, you'd think they'd do more to KSBI, especially given the competition. You have a Sinclair station, a Me-TV station that not everyone can get and an independent who themselves is facing weakness at 9. If KSBI had newscasts competing against those, they could easily make an impact in the ratings. But all KSBI gets is a simulcast of the noon newscast and syndicated scraps. At the very least, they could have added 30 minutes to that simulcast to create a hour long noon newscast seen in full on KSBI and for the first 30 on News 9.

Face the Truth is going to be on WSB or WUPA, don't remember which station between the two picked that up.

WSB picked it up, it'll be getting the 2:05 AM slot The Doctors currently has. The Doctors are off to WUPA and the relatively early 8:00 AM slot.

Here's what I can find out from DC as well as WTVR & WRLH.. (accurate as of 8/30/18)

WDCW: Sins & Secrets from 8am-9am replacing Jerry Springer, Couples Court & Judge Hatchett from noon-1pm replacing Crime Watch Daily, Jerry Springer to 3pm replacing Robert Irvine.

WDCW is also picking up Funny You Should Ask. Somehow, airing at 3:00 PM in half the market was kosher enough to also get a full market clearance at...3:00 AM.

In fact, this solidifies DC as a place to be if you are an insomniac game show fan. As it is, WJLA airs Who Wants to Be a Millionaire in the 1:05/1:35 slot with Daytime Jeopardy following.

WSB picked it up, it'll be getting the 2:05 AM slot The Doctors currently has. The Doctors are off to WUPA and the relatively early 8:00 AM slot.

Meanwhile, 2:00 pm on WAGA is still TBA; fingers crossed it goes to Access Live.

Meanwhile, 2:00 pm on WAGA is still TBA; fingers crossed it goes to Access Live.

With WJZY picking up Access in Charlotte you would think they would pick up Access Live (plenty of time to air it unlike WBTV) but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

BIG CHANGES FOR D/FW:

Face the Truth premieres 9/10 on KTVT from 2-3PM, The Doctors moves to KTXA at 11AM.

And WFAA News 8 Midday at Noon moves to 11AM making KDFW the ONLY local midday news at Noon.

I wondered what WFAA would do since all I'd heard about timeframes for "GMA Day" was Noon central-time at the earliest, and a show like that you really can't get away with time-shifting like with entertainment or reality programming. IINM, this will be the first time ever that WFAA has aired a midday newscast at a time other than noon.

I wondered what WFAA would do since all I'd heard about timeframes for "GMA Day" was Noon central-time at the earliest, and a show like that you really can't get away with time-shifting like with entertainment or reality programming. IINM, this will be the first time ever that WFAA has aired a midday newscast at a time other than noon.

KSAT, WBAY, KVIA and a few others came calling.

Just did a NewsBank search of Dallas Morning News articles; found out WFAA started airing news at noon in April of 1988, angering "All My Children" fans in the Dallas/Fort Worth area who did not like an 11a start time for AMC. According to the article announcing the change, AMC was doing terrible in the ratings at noon for WFAA, hence the change. Not sure of the noon ratings now for WFAA, but I'm not sure they're very good.....

You don't say? For Griffin to own strong CBS affiliates in both markets where they are and to have KQCW as strong as it is, you'd think they'd do more to KSBI, especially given the competition. You have a Sinclair station, a Me-TV station that not everyone can get and an independent who themselves is facing weakness at 9. If KSBI had newscasts competing against those, they could easily make an impact in the ratings. But all KSBI gets is a simulcast of the noon newscast and syndicated scraps. At the very least, they could have added 30 minutes to that simulcast to create a hour long noon newscast seen in full on KSBI and for the first 30 on News 9.

KAUT and KOCB is the same exact way, all they get is scraps of whatever syndicated programming is left. All I'm going to say about that issue is that this is very inexcusable and very unacceptable for stations like KFOR/KOCO/KWTV to get top-rated syndicated programming while KAUT/KSBI/KAUT gets the crappy ones and they watch as shows like Face The Truth pass on by Oklahoma City and Tulsa as well (no one from Tulsa has picked up that show as of yet either)

KAUT and KOCB is the same exact way, all they get is scraps of whatever syndicated programming is left. All I'm going to say about that issue is that this is very inexcusable and very unacceptable for stations like KFOR/KOCO/KWTV to get top-rated syndicated programming while KAUT/KSBI/KAUT gets the crappy ones and they watch as shows like Face The Truth pass on by Oklahoma City and Tulsa as well (no one from Tulsa has picked up that show as of yet either)

Face the Truth is going to KOKI.

Yikes. The Doctors is losing stations and moving to lessser ones left and right. So much for being a "legacy show" like the McGraws said, looks like they are slowly phasing out the program. However, the show is staying on WJHG and Fox 49 in their same time slots. The Real will take over Harrys slot on WJHG, a transplant from their long neglected My7 channel (which is getting Face The Truth to replace Jerry at 8am).

BTW, does anyone know of any stations that will be carrying both The Doctors and Face The Truth?

Just did a NewsBank search of Dallas Morning News articles; found out WFAA started airing news at noon in April of 1988, angering "All My Children" fans in the Dallas/Fort Worth area who did not like an 11a start time for AMC. According to the article announcing the change, AMC was doing terrible in the ratings at noon for WFAA, hence the change. Not sure of the noon ratings now for WFAA, but I'm not sure they're very good.....

Thanks for the update J. I wasn't a regular All My Children viewer then so I wasn't aware that was the timeslot situation on WFAA.

Thanks for the update J. I wasn't a regular All My Children viewer then so I wasn't aware that was the timeslot situation on WFAA.

You're welcome. It's kind of weird when you think about it today, but soaps were HUGE back then (there were 12 on the air in '88)!!

At least I can breathe a sigh of relief; WATL (Atlanta) will have Pickler and Ben at 8:00 am starting September 17.

WAGA picking it up for 2:00 pm and opposite General Hospital, The Talk, and Daily Blast Live would’ve been fatal, but they’re not WSB as far as bad clearances are concerned.

In addition, Caught In Providence will also be on WATL at noon after WAGA turned it down, but over on sister station WXIA...no changes.

Archived