2018-19 Syndication News

The Frog

This is Us (a show I admittedly don't watch, so correct me if I'm wrong) seems like a show that might be too serialized to work in syndication. Picked up by a streaming service or even a cable network for binge-watching/marathons, though? Absolutely.

I was thinking more as weekend fodder like Criminal Minds and Elementary are now. But now thinking more I never to my knowledge saw syndie reruns of Parenthood or Grey’s Anatomy so This Is Us probably won’t get a syndie rerun deal.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking more as weekend fodder like Criminal Minds and Elementary are now. But now thinking more I never to my knowledge saw syndie reruns of Parenthood or Grey’s Anatomy so This Is Us probably won’t get a syndie rerun deal.

Grey's was in syndication at one point. KSHV aired it here in Shreveport.

The Chew is the show on ABC that needs to go.

Yes we know you want these two shows that no one remembers to come back. You’ve only mentioned it a gazillion times.

You're right. Those game shows aren't coming back. If anything - save for General Hospital - ABC ought to hand that 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm block back over to their affiliates.

CBS' The Doctors and NBCU's Harry are not expected to continue.

Finally. After so many graveyard downgrades, the only reason to continue The Doctors (*cough*Dr. Phil and his son produce it*cough*) is an incredibly stupid reason for this waste of electricity and cast and crew to continue. Their veer into garbage medicine years ago did in the show as a serious source of any medical advice.

Criminal Minds was never in weekly syndication (they went right for the bulk cable deals and later Ion). Grey's also did the same with Lifetime (you may have confused it with Private Practice, which did have two seasons in weekend syndication). Parenthood is in syndication, but got a garbage deal from Viacom to air on the dying NickMom before that went under; Up carries it occasionally since both it and Gilmore Girls have Lauren Graham in them.

Parenthood is in syndication, but got a garbage deal from Viacom to air on the dying NickMom before that went under;

Does NBCU have ANY shows in off-net syndication on local stations not called Law and Order: (insert title here). The last thing I remember them selling was 30 Rock but they have had a number of shows that have reached 100 episodes since that are not in syndication, either weekdays or weekends. (namely The Mindy Project, Chicago Fire, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Grimm).

Warner Bros and CBS have a number of CW shows that have reached that point and could make money for syndication. As does Disney/ABC. Ion and MyNetworkTV really should try to go after some of the shows not already in syndication rather than going after stuff we can see in an infinite number of places.

Finally. After so many graveyard downgrades, the only reason to continue The Doctors (*cough*Dr. Phil and his son produce it*cough*) is an incredibly stupid reason for this waste of electricity and cast and crew to continue. Their veer into garbage medicine years ago did in the show as a serious source of any medical advice.

I'm surprised CBS didn't get the hint once they downgraded to their sister stations to advance Judge Judy produced 'Hot Bench' in their former slots. What's the difference between them + faux chat shows/news broadcast posed for informercials (i'm looking at you, larry king) or hell, skin cream ads or its ilk 'backed by celebs' plastered in ad spaces, ironically of which the show is one of its 'victims'? Don't worry, Dr. Phil could just hold those 'doctors' to crossover to his show when necessary. Kill two birds with one stone.

Ion and MyNetworkTV really should try to go after some of the shows not already in syndication rather than going after stuff we can see in an infinite number of places.

Outside of those shows that bring in revenue/ratings, so much this. Why not air shows we kept talking about not having their syndie run yet...run at all especially MNTV. Despite reasons, serialized elements be damned, be original just once.

Outside of those shows that bring in revenue/ratings, so much this. Why not air shows we kept talking about not having their syndie run yet...run at all especially MNTV. Despite reasons, serialized elements be damned, be original just once.

Exactly. Since Ion programs their stations 24/7, they especially have the room to be more original by buying rights to both dramas and comedies, whether they be from broadcast networks, cable or streaming services. As for My Network, they were on the right track when they aired the Walking Dead. They should have continued in that direction, airing syndie versions of cable and premium shows edited for a broadcast audience. I had thought that they'd improve their offering of shows but clearly I was wrong.

It's one thing to be compiled together on the cheap and for there to be no promotion of programming but at least have some stuff that you can't see anywhere else, or that you can see but would have to pay extra cost for it. It'd do both of them some good.

Time for The Doctors to end it's run I remember when Wood TV aired The Doctors in the afternoons in fall of 2008 a couple of years after moved it to sister station WOTV then The Doctors moved to MYNetTV WXSP to another sister station. I think it was Media General that moved The Doctors to WXSP maybe it was LIN TV made the move not sure thou.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/distribution/wendy-williams-comes-bounce/171845

Bounce TV will start airing same-day reruns of Wendy Williams' talk show, starting March 5. The article claims that this is the first time a deal like this has been made with a multicast (a-k-a diginet) network. The article doesn't say if Wendy will still air on BET or if there are any other changes to that arrangement. Bounce will air Wendy at 11p ET/10p CT.

Also, Wendy took some days off because of illness. This is supposedly the first time in her talk show's 9 seasons that she has been off other than weeks when the show goes on hiatus or vacation.

Wendy revealed on her show yesterday, that after a recent visit to her endocrinologist, that doctor has decided that Wendy must take another 3 weeks off besides her recent days off for illness. She has Grave's disease and has had thyroid issues. So, more 'encore presentations'...

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Debmar-Mercury has launched a new show called "Caught in Providence" for fall 2018. It's a court show featuring Judge Frank Caprio, and it'll air on WNYW, KTTV, KRIV, KDFW, KTVU, KSAZ, WOFL, KMSP, and WJZY. The only Fox O&Os that haven't picked it up are in Tampa, and Philadelphia.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/caught-in-providence-court-show-judge-frank-caprio-fox-stations-fall-2018-1202224808/

Archived