2018-19 Syndication News

The Frog

The 2017-18 thread was in the Breakroom, but I feel that this is something that fits under General TV.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/distribution/studios-shopping-shows-ahead-natpe-2018/170722

Debmar-Mercury's court show Caught in Providence cleared on Fox stations. D-M is also shopping around Question Jury, said to be a hybrid between Big Brother and a quiz show.

NBCU's Harry is unlikely to return for a third season. Steve is also in question, as the move to LA has increased production costs while ratings have remained the same. NBCU is shopping an urban panel show starring a former American Idol winner. NBCU drama Chicago P.D. will be stripped to Fox stations.

Disney-ABC's sitcom Black-ish will be stripped to Tribune stations.

IMG is shopping a talk show starring Tamron Hall.

Tegna hopes to renew all three of its shows: Daily Blast Live, Sing like a Star and Sister Circle, and is working on two pilots.

CBS is shopping Face the Truth, a panel conflict talker from Dr. Phil's production company.

WB is targeting prime access with an expensive comedic strip, Last Laugh with Jane Lynch.

The Sinclair-Tribune deal has led to a lot of uncertainty in the marketplace. The NBCU trash trio of Maury, Springer, and Wilkos are up for renewal. Sinclair is said to be not fond of the genre, but as they take up such a large chunk of real estate on Tribune stations, replacing them is not easy, as many failed attempts over the years has contributed to their staying power. However, Springer is said to want to retire.

Tribune's The Robert Irvine Show, which airs on The CW, is ceasing production. It's unknown if Tribune's rights to program CW's daytime slot will transfer to Sinclair, or if it will be given back to affiliates. WB's Crime Watch Daily is on the bubble, but Sinclair's needs could keep it on the air as they will potentially have a lot of holes to fill when the dust settles.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Springer is retiring, it won't be long until Maury decides to hang it up.

A chef hosting a conflict talker is something that didn't sound right from the start.

Ehh, could've been worse. You already have a quack doctor hosting what is now a glorified conflict talker.:p

Alternately, what are the chances of them moving to either the junior CBS stations or the My Network stations.

I would think that if Springer retires, Maury would be close behind since he's pushing 80. That knocks two of the three out and Steve Wilkos has largely survived thanks to the other two.

While not an issue in most Tribune markets, I'd love to see where they'd land in markets where Sinclair has both netlets sewn up.

I guess something good is coming about with this Tribune-Sinclair deal, I would love to see the end of those conflict shows, I just hope they don't replace it with more court shows.

I wonder if Pickler & Ben will expand. Not surprised about Harry.

As long as NBC keeps getting free money from the state of Connecticut and Stamford to produce the Trash Triad, they'll stay on the air, and they'll likely just bump Wilkos up to where Springer used to be and find someone else to host the third show. The big thing is that those shows also make money on the side through the Nosey on demand service and merchandise sales, and there are still plenty of sixth and seventh place stations in markets who will take what Sinclair doesn't want any longer (and seems like a bluff; the stations are not going to put The Balancing Act on in mid-afternoons; SBG will get more barter time or a reduction in fees and NBCU will still producing these shows because without them, it's paid garbage or more Byron Allen scripted court shows).

I'm not very much shocked about Robert Irvine and Crime Watch Daily pretty much gone. The first was just a rush job decision to keep filling that time slot (and didn't even get HD until this season), and the second has become both a sad attempt to keep Chris Hansen relevant while being a scummy way to get more mileage out of murder stories when you have Investigation Discovery and Oxygen stepping up their games in the true crime genre (and viewers are just beyond tired of the negative tinge of shows like CWD and and Crime & Justice on HLN, thus why podcasts like My Favorite Murder are doing plenty of good business now).

Face the Truth sounds exactly like The Test, another Stage 29 production which bombed in 2013-14. The syndication market is dire more and more every year.

I wonder if Pickler & Ben will expand. Not surprised about Harry.

It's not a bad show, though you see more and more with each episode that Ben Aaron is wondering what he got himself into with all the odd segments they have (usually involving costumes).

Thoughts:

Is it a bit a stretch for me to root for Harry? Tough case to make for next season. Steve Harvey took a risk and so far...i wish there were more old remnants of his show (dating advice, ask steve, family situations) with celeb driven interviews. That would balance off right. Scale down production costs if + when needed.

I'm not very much shocked about Robert Irvine and Crime Watch Daily pretty much gone. The first was just a rush job decision to keep filling that time slot (and didn't even get HD until this season), and the second has become both a sad attempt to keep Chris Hansen relevant while being a scummy way to get more mileage out of murder stories when you have Investigation Discovery and Oxygen stepping up their games in the true crime genre (and viewers are just beyond tired of the negative tinge of shows like CWD and and Crime & Justice on HLN, thus why podcasts like My Favorite Murder are doing plenty of good business now).

Face the Truth sounds exactly like The Test, another Stage 29 production which bombed in 2013-14. The syndication market is dire more and more every year.

I'm with Georgie56, A chef hosting a conflict talk show? And that supposed to be 'real'? Man, give the hour back to affiliates for something more 'useful' (that's not a stretch by standards). His show could've been all those inspiring chefs eliminated from those competitions (Iron chef, Top chef, Hell's Kitchen, Chopped, you name it...) and how's their experience + countdown to those respective finales, showcasing his products...but would it be a 'cw daytime show'? think about it. I'm a bit surprised CWD is towards the ax, i know it's ratings challenged but still...with all the rage of true crime stories, one would think it would have some life in it, granted CWD is generic compared to Dateline/2020/Snapped in terms of content or narration or both.

Face the truth sounds more like Quien tiene la razon? (who is right?), a conflict panel show aired on Univision then Unimas in the 2000s. I would like to see Pickler + Ben expand to further markets like NY should Season 2 be granted. Ben Aaron is quite popular here in gotham city with his 'New York Live' segments.

Wow. A lot of TVNewsTalkers will be upset with the possibility of no Springer, Wilkos, or Maury. What else will their unemployed behinds do now? Prolly more sleep!!!

I hear The View, Rachael Ray and the many court shows are in season (watchable) again. Sure are popular down at the offices. ;)

Daily Blast Live needs to go not a very good show seen it a few times at 7:30PM should be in the afternoons but WZZM doesn't want to get rid of the pair Hot Bench with Judge Judy both full hours at 3PM Hot Bench & 4Pm Judge Judy. I only flip it to Sister Circle mainly for Page Six TV at 10:30AM which should be on at 7:30PM or 1AM WZZM should fine Page Six TV a better timeslot or hoping that Nexstar or Sinclair etc.

Not surprise that Jerry Springer wants to retire I think his show will end after this season just my opinion not surprise that Harry is a goner WOTV moved it from 3PM to 9AM in May which The Real moved from 9AM to 3PM. I like Crime Watch Daily pretty good show hope that stays for years to come looks like it does well in the ratings.

If Harry does come to an end, WJBK might as well move the full hour of Judge Judy to Harry's timeslot and relaunch their old 4 PM newscast, this time running for a full hour for a full block of news from 4-7 PM, the first time anyone in Detroit has attempted an evening block of this length.

The 2017-18 thread was in the Breakroom, but I feel that this is something that fits under General TV.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/distribution/studios-shopping-shows-ahead-natpe-2018/170722

Debmar-Mercury's court show Caught in Providence cleared on Fox stations. D-M is also shopping around Question Jury, said to be a hybrid between Big Brother and a quiz show.

NBCU's Harry is unlikely to return for a third season. Steve is also in question, as the move to LA has increased production costs while ratings have remained the same. NBCU is shopping an urban panel show starring a former American Idol winner. NBCU drama Chicago P.D. will be stripped to Fox stations.

Disney-ABC's sitcom Black-ish will be stripped to Tribune stations.

IMG is shopping a talk show starring Tamron Hall.

Tegna hopes to renew all three of its shows: Daily Blast Live, Sing like a Star and Sister Circle, and is working on two pilots.

CBS is shopping Face the Truth, a panel conflict talker from Dr. Phil's production company.

WB is targeting prime access with an expensive comedic strip, Last Laugh with Jane Lynch.

The Sinclair-Tribune deal has led to a lot of uncertainty in the marketplace. The NBCU trash trio of Maury, Springer, and Wilkos are up for renewal. Sinclair is said to be not fond of the genre, but as they take up such a large chunk of real estate on Tribune stations, replacing them is not easy, as many failed attempts over the years has contributed to their staying power. However, Springer is said to want to retire.

Tribune's The Robert Irvine Show, which airs on The CW, is ceasing production. It's unknown if Tribune's rights to program CW's daytime slot will transfer to Sinclair, or if it will be given back to affiliates. WB's Crime Watch Daily is on the bubble, but Sinclair's needs could keep it on the air as they will potentially have a lot of holes to fill when the dust settles.

WCCB would have 7 hours of programming to fill if they are all cancelled and the CW stops programming the daytime hour. They have 2 runs each of Jerry, Wilkos and Maury with Robert Irving right in the middle at 1.

WCCB would have 7 hours of programming to fill if they are all cancelled and the CW stops programming the daytime hour. They have 2 runs each of Jerry, Wilkos and Maury with Robert Irving right in the middle at 1.

WATL currently does 3 hours of Springer, 3 hours of Maury, 1 hour of Wilkos, 1 hour of Dr. Phil, and 1 hour of Cheaters. Losing the trio and Springer, Maury, and Wilkos would be devastating for their trash tv lineup.

WATL currently does 3 hours of Springer, 3 hours of Maury, 1 hour of Wilkos, 1 hour of Dr. Phil, and 1 hour of Cheaters. Losing the trio and Springer, Maury, and Wilkos would be devastating for their trash tv lineup.

WLVI's entire daytime lineup are trash talkers: Wilkos/Maury/Jerry x2, Robert Irvine, and a third Maury. Knowing how Sunbeam's take towards syndication there isn't much that can replace them out there.

• 2 weeks later...
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/first-run-programming-in-flux-syndication-the-real-face-the-truth-caught-in-providence-1202655794/ it seems like the success of Dr. Phil, Ellen and Judge Judy are like "golden era" of syndication that will be the last ever as station groups producing + selling in house has been the new normal. It's more like with station groups merging, distributors are ceasing syndie + involve other platforms (digital, streaming). Syndication is a relic as we know it. Enjoy it while it last.

Archived