2018 Winter Olympics

susquvalleywgal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A bit of overkill though? Sportsnet should have been showing the Flames game, and One should have been showing the skiing

In reality, yes, CTV started it off when they had the 2010 rights presumably so they could "maximize" the ratings and revenue by simulcasting big events like the Ceremonies and Team Canada Hockey Games on TSN. Airing it on then-'Rogers Sportsnet' would help bring up the rating and treat them like "equals" for taking part in the Consortium.

Heck, CTV even sold an event package * consisting of the Ceremonies to NTV Newfoundland, by then an independent/Global affiliate (other CTV coverage was airing on ASN/A Atlantic to reach NFLD).

* Edit: the men's hockey final wasn't part of the deal intially, but was added fairly last minute.

CBC said they wanted to maintain what CTV did during 2010 and 2012 when they took over the rights again.

The Flames game was a regional game, it began on a part-time/regional/overflow SN1 channel with Sportsnet West joining in progress in the first. I think the other 3 regionals ran regular programming (newscasts and highlights shows).

On Saturday, the Men's Final will air on SN1 - plus TSN's 1, 3-5 and the CBC of course.

They did the same thing in Sochi

Also, I caught NBC's open tonight; I am actually disappointed. It feels like that NBC has been shedding a lot of the formalities that its Olympics coverage has had in the past; beyond that opening bumper thing, no John Williams at all.

Then you have Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir trying to be figure skating's Ron MacLean and Don Cherry (with a side of Rod Roddy), although people say they're actually pretty good commentators.

They did the same thing in Sochi

Also, I caught NBC's open tonight; I am actually disappointed. It feels like that NBC has been shedding a lot of the formalities that its Olympics coverage has had in the past; beyond that opening bumper thing, no John Williams at all.

Then you have Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir trying to be figure skating's Ron MacLean and Don Cherry (with a side of Rod Roddy), although people say they're actually pretty good commentators.

I actually like Tara and Johnny doing figure skating for NBC Sports and the Olympics. I would tune in just for them.

I actually like Tara and Johnny doing figure skating for NBC Sports and the Olympics. I would tune in just for them.

I actually tune out because of Johnny. His attire, makeup, and hair are to over the top and too distracting. If you’re making it more about you than the commentating and the sport, then you’re not doing a good job. Let me be clear, I don’t care who he sleeps with as that doesn’t affect his on-air performance.

Apparently, they'll be hosting the Closing Ceremonies with Terry Gannon

http://awfulannouncing.com/nbc/tara-lipinski-johnny-weir-co-host-olympic-closing-ceremony-nbc.html

I hope this doesn’t cause an international incident. Seriously the expert on Korea made a comment about Japan influencing them cause a bit of an uproar. Apparently Katie and Mikes style was much more of a book report.

Does anyone think Adam Rippon is going to be a commentator the next go round? Sure he wasn’t a contributor but he was on NBC a lot.

I can deal with Tara and Johnny but I miss the ABC crew! I do like Terry, he came from ABC. This must be some Games for Terry! I don't think he's ever done a Games before much less a closing ceremony!

I'm loving Scott and Tanith on NBCSN!

Has there been any controversy or viewer outrage this time around with NBC’s Olympic coverage. I know there was a line that offended South Koreans in the opening ceremony. But has the old hashtag #nbcfail gained any widespread coverage?

Has there been any controversy or viewer outrage this time around with NBC’s Olympic coverage. I know there was a line that offended South Koreans in the opening ceremony. But has the old hashtag #nbcfail gained any widespread coverage?

Not that I'm aware of. NBC has been pretty much clean.

When will NBC's extended closing credits be run?

The credits typically run after the last event which is cross country skiing. It runs from 3-6pm ET. They may also run them depending on the timing of the closing ceremony.

Archived