2018 Winter Olympics

susquvalleywgal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, no no.

The Media Consortium was a joint partnership by Bell Media and Rogers Media for the 2010 and 2012 games contract. CTV was the lead network, CBC was excluded entirely. That doesn't exist anymore.

Today, CBC/SRC holds the Olympic broadcast contract in Canada. TSN/RDS (under Bell) and Sportsnet (under Rogers) are licensed as sub-broadcasters under the authority of the CBC contract.

TVA Sports took part in 2014 on the French side but didn't return. CBC is the rights holder until 2024.

Word is Calgary may or may not bid for 2026, thr issue is that there's a push to re-use venues from the 88 games, which have been maintained, along with outdoor venues from Whistler. I would expect Bell Media to jump back in and bid for that contract as the sole rightsholder.

Word is Calgary may or may not bid for 2026, thr issue is that there's a push to re-use venues from the 88 games, which have been maintained, along with outdoor venues from Whistler. I would expect Bell Media to jump back in and bid for that contract as the sole rightsholder.

That's been my thought/concern too. Not only that, but chances are the IOC would throw in rights to LA 2028 as well (much like they did for London when Bell won the 2010 contract).

That would be great for Bell, but would suck for VPN users and those without cable if that happened. CBC streams everything online, even the TSN and Sportsnet broadcasts, without requiring authentication - all you have to do is be "located" in Canada. Bell would bring TV Everywhere back to the Olympics like they did in 2010 and 2012. Of course, Bell could care less - the VPN users aren't technically supposed to view non-American coverage, and the percentage of cable-less viewers in Canada is low.

It would be sad for the CBC as well. Due to budget cuts over the last few years, the CBC has retreated from bidding for sports rights (aside from the Olympics,) leading to them losing rights to the NHL (Hockey Night in Canada nowadays is just a Sportsnet broadcast with the HNIC logo slapped on top) and the World Cup. The Olympic Games is the last major sports property held by the broadcaster.

That's been my thought/concern too. Not only that, but chances are the IOC would throw in rights to LA 2028 as well (much like they did for London when Bell won the 2010 contract).

That would be great for Bell, but would suck for VPN users and those without cable if that happened. CBC streams everything online, even the TSN and Sportsnet broadcasts, without requiring authentication - all you have to do is be "located" in Canada. Bell would bring TV Everywhere back to the Olympics like they did in 2010 and 2012. Of course, Bell could care less - the VPN users aren't technically supposed to view non-American coverage, and the percentage of cable-less viewers in Canada is low.

It would be sad for the CBC as well. Due to budget cuts over the last few years, the CBC has retreated from bidding for sports rights (aside from the Olympics,) leading to them losing rights to the NHL (Hockey Night in Canada nowadays is just a Sportsnet broadcast with the HNIC logo slapped on top) and the World Cup. The Olympic Games is the last major sports property held by the broadcaster.

CTV didn't do a bad job in Vancouver, there weren't as many sob-stories interrupting the games ala NBC.

Highly doubtful Rogers would even be invited to take part, I wonder if a Bell-bid would involve the CBC somehow. That being said, I'd rather see the CBC get the contract themselves.

In a move eerily reminiscent of the "Breaking news: SMAP is breaking up" bulletin from Rio, The National broke into CBC's coverage, coming out of commercial break, with one of its reporters to say that the rather popular rock group Hedley (formed by a Canadian Idol third-place winner) were dropped from the performer lineup of the Juno Awards (basically our Grammy's, and also now on CBC this year) over sexual misconduct allegations. They did a split-screen with the curling on the other side.

To be fair, this particular end had only just started, and usually there's not much to talk about from the strategy standpoint until everyone's gotten to at least their 3rd or 4th rock. I will excuse them a bit, but personally, I'm not sure if this was warranted, and I am expecting some angry Twitter reaction regardless.

The news was also several hours old, so if they were trying to play it off as a "here's a quick update from The National, and we're on CBC News Network later" report and not a "SPECIAL REPORT", they kinda failed.

I'm starting to think that the NBC ID: America's Oly. Network is the open this year. Tonight the ID was updated with Shaun White with his Gold Medal from last night. Don't think I agree with it but the ID seems to be the only open this year.

The National broke into CBC's coverage, coming out of commercial break, with one of its reporters to say that the rather popular rock group Hedley (formed by a Canadian Idol third-place winner) were dropped from the performer lineup of the Juno Awards (basically our Grammy's, and also now on CBC this year) over sexual misconduct allegations. They did a split-screen with the curling on the other side.

Here's the split screen in question. They removed the location tags and now the whole positioning looks...weird.

9cf2520859dc1bdcbc44aeaa662e727a.png

CTV didn't do a bad job in Vancouver, there weren't as many sob-stories interrupting the games ala NBC.

CTV's coverage of Vancouver 2010 was wonderful, I'm even glad they took the rights for the games. They clearly had the interest and $$$$$ into making it the best coverage imaginable. (Unlike London, which was a drab to say the least...)

Of course. Bell will always make an Olympic bid if it includes a Canadian-hosted Games. They are guaranteed the ratings and the return. For anything else, ahahaha no. I doubt it would come about since it'll conflict with CTV's existing schedule of (profitable) American counter-programming + new episodes of the Big Bang Theory gets as much ratings as your average "Olympic Afternoon".

Highly doubtful Rogers would even be invited to take part, I wonder if a Bell-bid would involve the CBC somehow.

Rogers will never make a leading bid for the Olympics. They're already regretting the 12 year NHL deal. However, if Bell does make the bid, the CBC is out for sure. Bell has a massive arsenal that is TSN + TSN GO, they really don't need anyone else. They can even pull a CFL and make it exclusive to cable if they have to.

That being said, I'd rather see the CBC get the contract themselves.

Bingo. I want CBC to bid. They need to bid. It's quite evident that after the changes that lead to "Road to the Olympic Games", CBC knows they need the Olympics to sustain their sports department in the long term. Without it, CBC Sports is done.

Here's the split screen in question. They removed the location tags and now the whole positioning looks...weird.

9cf2520859dc1bdcbc44aeaa662e727a.png

I know NBC broke into daytime coverage with the school shooting in Florida, but I don't think this particular story warranted this. I'd like to think others within the CBC News felt the same way.

There is a 30-minute window for local news, I'm sure the Hedley story could have been covered there.

I know NBC broke into daytime coverage with the school shooting in Florida, but I don't think this particular story warranted this. I'd like to think others within the CBC News felt the same way.

There is a 30-minute window for local news, I'm sure the Hedley story could have been covered there.

I know NBC wouldn't break into the games with that story

I'm starting to think that the NBC ID: America's Oly. Network is the open this year. Tonight the ID was updated with Shaun White with his Gold Medal from last night. Don't think I agree with it but the ID seems to be the only open this year.

Well its just NBC... Home of The Olympics.

However, if Bell does make the bid, the CBC is out for sure. Bell has a massive arsenal that is TSN + TSN GO, they really don't need anyone else. They can even pull a CFL and make it exclusive to cable if they have to.

In a core market like Canada, the IOC mandates at least 100 hours of the Winter Olympics and 200 hours of the Summer Olympics to be broadcast on a free-to-air channel.

Here's what TSN has done with their studio (this is in Toronto, at their Agincourt headquarters).

Screenshot_20180217-021303.png.476ad2bbf558647a4144357cdd5faf1d.png

Here's what the original looks like + TSN rebranding (it's not much)

Screenshot_20180217-022927.thumb.png.b790c4db9c468d813e94958295c33e27.png

And Sportsnet (from their operations at the downtown Rogers building and not the CBC building).

Screenshot_20180217-021108.thumb.png.c7d1bae5ad14c3bd342ad7688491eee0.png

And the original studio (I think they win this "competition")

sportsnet-01.thumb.jpg.8a02e608a368832c39ec5826c3355bf6.jpg

I screencapped these from the CBC Olympic app. Each cable channel uses their own bug in the upper right corner with Olympic rings.

Screenshot_20180217-021321.thumb.png.ce0090bfcbc4a340069fd985d9c8e298.png

Screenshot_20180217-020849.thumb.png.7b66e1270394ca460cc9179c8763244b.png

Screenshot_20180217-020859.png.0851519bae153f1322ce3452c18b210b.png

Screenshot_20180217-020914.thumb.png.48085e9292f5a99f3c58317462861b05.png

Screenshot_20180217-020819.thumb.png.12ea8ae12c3e3d6b1536c0348f009eba.png

Screen-Shot-2015-08-04-at-9_51.18-PM-457x300.png.ae9d40d3d65652fe7482a5b393ad4fe1.png

Stupid, dumb question...

Is every broadcaster around the world forced to air the Olympic Rings on TV as to 1) let people know they're the official broadcaster in their country for the games and 2) the IOC requires them to do so per contract?

I think that is one of the sets that FXGroup was promoting. There's a TEGNA station that has done VR and a Raycom (I think) has a hard set and a virtual extension of the the hard set which looked pretty good.

Edit: The station I am thinking of is WBTV in Charlotte.

https://fxgroup.tv/portfolio/wbtv-virtual/

Shoutout to Eurosport for their brilliant Olympics coverage so far. Knowledgeable, passionate commentators who commentate on these sports all season long. Easy to access any event catch-up on the player

Meanwhile, topline data from Numeris will come out next week with the official numbers of the Olympic coverage.

And they are out!

e1f7f21fdb9be8ed73f9a24bb08b7c07.png

The first weekend of PYC2018 Primetime was the highest rated program in English Canada, with 2,336,000 viewers. To compare with 2014, Sochi Daytime had 2,966,000 viewers.

9334243ff18c264bb2fd3e384f638414.png

And in both cases, CTV always wins with something. :mad:

Here in Canada, the women's hockey gold medal game is being simulcast by CBC, all five TSN channels, and 3/4 of Sportsnet's main channels (West has a Calgary/Las Vegas NHL game instead, and One is showing the skiing).

SN1 joined the game for OT/Shootout.

When I flipped to NBC during OT, the East coast station we get (WDIV) had the game. KHQ Spokane had local news.

However it seems that NBC ET didn't stay for the medal ceremony, it looks like the rerolled the PT show.

Here in Canada, the women's hockey gold medal game is being simulcast by CBC, all five TSN channels, and 3/4 of Sportsnet's main channels (West has a Calgary/Las Vegas NHL game instead, and One is showing the skiing).

A bit of overkill though? Sportsnet should have been showing the Flames game, and One should have been showing the skiing

Archived