2018 Winter Olympics

susquvalleywgal

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few days late, but NBC has finally fixed one of my biggest complaints from 2016 (and 2014, and 2012, and 2010...).

The opening ceremony will be streamed live. Not on TV, mind you; the OC is at 6am - affiliates and Today have that time, and I assume NBC can't be bothered to bug affiliates about using that time when they'd get higher ratings in primetime. But, at the very least, NBC is finally giving those who don't want to sit through their primetime broadcast the option to see it live. Personally, I don't mind having to fire up the website or the app, as NBC is finally giving us the option. NBC will get bonus points from me if the stream is the commercial-free OBS version.

Better late than never. This is in addition to last year's announcement that the 2018 coverage will be aired live from coast-to-coast, no longer leaving West Coast viewers out of the party.

Finally, NBC has announced its full slate of commentators for the Games. 89 of them to be exact. Interestingly, because the NHL is sitting out the Games, NHL on NBC commentators Doc Emrick and Eddie Olczyk will not be taking part; instead, NBC has recruited Kenny Albert and Gord Miller (from TSN of all places) to provide hockey commentary. Also, some events will have commentary provided from Connecticut and not Pyeongchang.

• 2 weeks later...

CBC's first day of coverage started; unfortunately, it looks like those dark teal and gold OBS graphics from Rio are back, and only slightly changed (flat looking snowflakes falling in the L3s, and the "badges" are slanted rectangles instead of the Rio shapes).

Yet at the same time, this sticks out like a sore thumb against the rest of their package, which actually looks very elegant, as usual.

I also posted this in the Retransmission Dispute Squabbles Thread, yet I thought I mention it here as well.

With Super Bowl LII behind us and the XXIII Olympic Winter Games about to get underway, there're are currently 4 NBC affiliates, by my count, currently in a dispute with a MPVD. Each of the following stations are in DMA 160 or lower:

KTEN vs. DISH - Serving Lake Texoma DMA 160

KPVI vs. Spectrum - Serving East Idaho DMA 162

KYMA vs. Spectrum - Serving the Imperial Valley DMA 166

KIEM vs. Spectrum - Serving California's North Coast DMA 195

These are the results of the ongoing disputes between Lockwood vs. DISH, and Northwest Broadcasting vs. Charter.

If there are any other disputes, please let our community know.

So the Charlotte Checkers (Carolina Hurricanes' AHL affiliate) is partnering up with WCNC tomorrow for a "Gold Medal Rally" over at the Bojangles' Coliseum in honor of the Winter Olympics. [MEDIA=twitter]961641787474497538[/MEDIA]

Here's CBC/SRC's Olympics set that was unveiled tonight at Primetime. They're quite functional considering its size.

They have this cool projection mural on the right side on the wall to display various visuals, and Radio-Canada Sports is using AR technology in favour for monitors.

486b7d9d7b2203735afeb0438778a0bd.png

12bb3c56782199806bb3b9ca0c3e44bc.png

d8491e3dc284bb59fb448e80c5e9e039.png

Some ratings just came in from NBC.

[MEDIA=twitter]962332944781148160[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]962333087085494272[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]962333345802833920[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]962333522219368448[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]962333590305624066[/MEDIA]

I found the CBC Olympic theme just a tad underwhelming. Their GFX and overall on screen creative look are tops + nice studio as well, add me to the list of people that think OBS itself should do a refresh for the next games.

As only CBC and ICI Radio-Canada have sent hosts and studios to the games (cameras being fibered back), Sportsnet and TSN/RDS are airing and producing ancillary coverage from their Toronto studios (Montreal for RDS). As part of the deal, they use the same GFX and music used by CBC (plus commercial bumpers and voiceover artist).

Sportsnet is using their bigger set overlooking their newsroom located at their HQ. For Rio, Sportsnet used the Hockey studio at the CBC, but thanks to Gary Bettman, the NHL is still open for business.

sportsnet-01.thumb.jpg.c473a91f8512a0b5ec88a10210a267aa.jpg

I haven't seen TSN's set this time around, but for Rio they used a set that they inherited from the NHL Network and swapped the backdrops to Rio-themed artwork and TSN branding. I'll keep an eye on their coverage later today.

Screen-Shot-2015-08-04-at-9_51.18-PM-457x300.png.28b60d1e1f55f0aad53a37055be93250.png

I don't get RDS.

Am I the only one who's actively going for the world feeds on Roku? Nothing against the quality of NBC's hosting and coverage, but just having the opportunity to see everything without cuts or delays. Plus some of the commentary is better too (I am quite liking the world feed commentators for snowboarding). I imagine CBC doesn't have nearly as much commercial load, but I wonder how the world feeds compare to that coverage...

Yeah, that storytelling Olympic primetime intro went away with Bob Costas, as well. What a shame, I really liked those.

Yeah, this was actually one of the things I liked about NBC's primetime coverage: the intros (not the ones from the day of the opening ceremony, but the ones from the days of actual competition).

It's hard to find clips of them on YouTube though because of IOC copyrights and such. There's some (poorly captured) ones from London in 2012, there's the attached one from Athens 2004, and TVARK (currently down for construction) had the ones from Barcelona '92 and Atlanta '96.

Yeah, this was actually one of the things I liked about NBC's primetime coverage: the intros (not the ones from the day of the opening ceremony, but the ones from the days of actual competition).

It's hard to find clips of them on YouTube though because of IOC copyrights and such. There's some (poorly captured) ones from London in 2012, there's the attached one from Athens 2004, and TVARK (currently down for construction) had the ones from Barcelona '92 and Atlanta '96.

I have not seen 1 full intro these games! Granted it's Tues in the first week, but it's just been a quick logo then right to Mike or the action. I love those intros! Mike is doing great job and I think he's capable of doing a full intro, Heck, Matt, Meredith, maybe Lester and others have done them, what is NBC waiting for??????

Ratings for CBC/Radio-Canada's coverage was published on the SRC corporate site.

• Almost two-thirds of Canadians, or nearly 23,400,000 people (65%), have watched the Olympic coverage offered by CBC / Radio-Canada and its partners.
  • One in three Canadians (32%, or 11.4 million Canadians) watched the broadcast of the opening ceremony live or delayed.

• The live opening ceremony was followed by an average audience of 1.3 million Canadians between 6 am and 9 am ET (42% share) on all channels (CBC/SRC, TSN, SN, etc)

Meanwhile, topline data from Numeris will come out next week with the official numbers of the Olympic coverage.

So wait a minute, we still have Canada's Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium?

Oh, no no.

The Media Consortium was a joint partnership by Bell Media and Rogers Media for the 2010 and 2012 games contract. CTV was the lead network, CBC was excluded entirely. That doesn't exist anymore.

Today, CBC/SRC holds the Olympic broadcast contract in Canada. TSN/RDS (under Bell) and Sportsnet (under Rogers) are licensed as sub-broadcasters under the authority of the CBC contract.

Archived