Winston Broadcasting Network Cleveland/Akron

CLETVFan

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

Would anyone say that WBNX is rebounding a year after losing the CW to WUAB?

Doubtful.   They went from a station that ranked near the top of WB/CW affiliations to an independent station that has been increasingly overshadowed by a ministry rife with allegations of abuse and growing financial problems.

I say it a thousand times, but the endGame for WBNX (see what I did there?) will likely come as a merger with Tegna or Scripps, or a group like Marquee that will leverage all of their subchannels and add even more....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
Easter egg

• 3 months later...

The next chapter in the Ernest Angley saga is due to unfold in a Common Pleas Court-run mediation session.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/news/20200213/grace-cathedral-former-minister-face-off-over-sordid-accusations?fbclid=IwAR37R35Gvm_GSy02J15ZyH8uQ5YKUpl-CUAbfc0hkUq67dteIlLXORzs580

Disturbing and sickening details aside, the accuser wanted to oust Angley or be compensated for his damages.  And of course, the cult...i mean Church is standing behind Rev. Angley and his flock.

He is now almost 98, and will not take part in any depositions due to "age-related maladies".  In fact, the church has been run by a board of church-members since last year due to Rev. Angley's deteriorating health.

Now let us pray that this situation comes to an end and someone other than a ministry or infomercial purveyor ends up with WBNX.......

• Like 2

Random thought here: Had this scandal not come to light, how many people outside of the Cleveland/Akron area would have known this guy was still alive? It's not like Angley has anywhere near the reach his broadcasts had even during the early 2000s (until hearing about this, that was about the last time I remember hearing anything about him)

2 hours ago, WAVY 10 Fan said:

Random thought here: Had this scandal not come to light, how many people outside of the Cleveland/Akron area would have known this guy was still alive? It's not like Angley has anywhere near the reach his broadcasts had even during the early 2000s (until hearing about this, that was about the last time I remember hearing anything about him)

And it was Bob Dyer at the Akron Beacon Journal that brought the scandal out into the open, and that's when the other media outlets began covering the story.   This was back when the Beacon was its own paper, and before it was sucked into the Gatehouse-Gannett behemoth.

Ernest Angley and his church have always been local fodder, even though the most visible sign isn't even owned by him...the unfinished tower that Rex Humbard wanted to build.....locals refer to it as Rex's Erection 😆😆.

Had it not been for the New World deal, would WBNX have ever been a factor in the ratings?  WUAB needed to dump a network and WBNX was in the right place to take it.  Otherwise, Silver King could have snatched it up for WQHS, or even WAKC could have been made into a factor instead of it being PAXxed...

Getting the Fox Kids programming, the WB, and overall doing a better job than WUAB of running a station than Raycom put WBNX on the map.   It still benefits from every other station in town dumping shows for their own inbred efforts, but the operation begins to crumble.... someone's going to need to step in.

And given all of the negative press the other outlets have levied on them, would WBNX refuse to sell out to them or vice versa?  It may take an FCC do-over to see the station live on under someone else's control.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
22 minutes ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

Now the station can be put up for sale.

It's a no brainer for Nexstar...as WBNX is on an UHF frequency. They can easily move WJW on there and place the subchannels (and the new one coming out) on their own virtual channel (55.1)...

Edited by Yankees4life

17 minutes ago, mvcg66b3r said:

What if they don't want to sell?

That's probably up to the board that now controls the church and WBNX (set up while Angley's health was failing). 

It's seems more likely now that Ernest has passed and it was the same story when Rex Humbard resigned from his own church in the 80s (moving to Florida), setting the stage for WBNX (originally owned by another related entity and purchased by Angley) and the later purchase The Cathedral of Tomorrow and related entities soon after.

Easy duopoly bait for Tegna, Scripps (since Inyo owns WVPX and WDLI) or Nexstar.  Or it could be sold to someone like Marquee or even Weigel to be a repository of subchannels. I doubt they'd try to keep 55.1 as an independent like they did with flagship WCIU before it picked up the CW.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

That's probably up to the board that now controls the church and WBNX (set up while Angley's health was failing). 

It's seems more likely now that Ernest has passed and it was the same story when Rex Humbard resigned from his own church in the 80s (moving to Florida), setting the stage for WBNX (originally owned by another related entity and purchased by Angley) and the later purchase The Cathedral of Tomorrow and related entities soon after.

Easy duopoly bait for Tegna, Scripps (since Inyo owns WVPX and WDLI) or Nexstar.  Or it could be sold to someone like Marquee or even Weigel to be a repository of subchannels. I doubt they'd try to keep 55.1 as an independent like they did with flagship WCIU before it picked up the CW.

I don't think they have a choice as the affiliation agreements are all tied up ATM. If Weigel owns it, you might as well call it "The X" 😂🤣

7 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

I don't think they have a choice as the affiliation agreements are all tied up ATM. If Weigel owns it, you might as well call it "The X" 😂🤣

MeTV is the only Weigel network not on WBNX.  They carry all of the others (Movies!, StartTV, Decades, H&I). 

Plenty of room should they get MeTV and the new secondary network planned.

• Like 3

WBNX does have dearth of programming because 3,5 & 8 have so many local and corporately-owned shows on them, plus the fact that the CW ended up on WUAB, so the market would be really under-stationed if WBNX were to go away as an independent.

Worst case scenario, WOIO could convert 19.2 into My19 or something, and buy up all of the programming.  Given how WUAB is on the same frequency, some subchannels would have to go away should they want to make it HD.  Maybe keep Circle but Bounce and Dabl would be moved elsewhere.  Isn't Dabl still on WQHS?

• Like 2

Uh, good suggestions, but what if angley did a "pat robertson" and in his will it states that the station stays in the hands of his church in perpetuity ( in Pat Robertson's case its that no matter who owns "THE CBN FAMILY CHANNEL"  they have to air "the 700 club" in perpetuity)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lugnuts6 said:

Uh, good suggestions, but what if angley did a "pat robertson" and in his will it states that the station stays in the hands of his church in perpetuity ( in Pat Robertson's case its that no matter who owns "THE CBN FAMILY CHANNEL"  they have to air "the 700 club" in perpetuity)

There was the time when what is now Freeform could not go for a name that didn't have "Family Channel" included, like when ABC Family tried to become "XYZ," but was blocked from doing so.

For WBNX, they now have an entire subchannel devoted to the "Ninety and Nine Club."  That means they don't have to worry about squeezing that show on the main lineup.

12 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

And deny the majesty of bad lip syncing, a 4:3 aspect ratio, and corny teachings?!?

Not to mention they also have a sizeable presence on YouTube, and an "online bible college".  Hopefully the internet absorbs this one. 

I'd imagine the flock has been declining for years and that the property would have better use for commercial purposes.  They still have the original "Grace Cathedral" in Ellet/Lakemore as well.

I think even the WBNX building (with the former Cathedral Buffet) original use was a a short lived discount store in the 50s-60s, while the former State Road Plaza across the street was new and exciting. 

Maybe even the owner of "Rex's Erection" would throw it in to a developer for finishing of Rex Humbard's original vision?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Maybe even the owner of "Rex's Erection" would throw it in to a developer for finishing of Rex Humbard's original vision?

It would complete the Portage Crossing development if they went through with redeveloping WBNX/Grace Cathedral.

1 hour ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Is there really room for one??

Even WQHS seems out of place. The only reason they became Univision was because of the package deal with USA Broadcasting when they sold out.

Byron Allen seems out of place for them, even though WBNX airs several of his shows.  He's focused more on major network affiliates and I don't see the others budging any time soon, maybe if he gets hold of Tegna eventually.

• Like 1