Winston Broadcasting Network Cleveland/Akron

CLETVFan

Here's a link to the foreclosure case....

http://204.126.123.151/ssfweb/detail.aspx

The plaintiff already owns a parcel of land that has a Taco Bell on it nearby, and has the mineral rights to a vacant piece of land across the street from Grace Cathedral under their ownership.  Beck Energy Partners provided the loan to Winston Broadcast Network and is holding them in default.

Given the neighborhood, I doubt the city of Cuyahoga Falls would allow for drilling for oil and gas, but the vacant land was once part of Northhampton Township, which was merged into Cuyahoga Falls over 30 years ago. 

As for WBNX, they could always flip it over to the Grace Cathedral entity, but it is non profit and may require WBNX to change their commercial status with the FCC...... translation, all Angley, all the time! (Could the subchannels remain if this happened?)

Or a third party buys the land and flips the license to one of the other Cleveland stations....they may have no desire in running a TV station and could put in something else at the site....

9 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I wonder if Nexstar would be able to acquire it to pair with WJW and acquire the MNTV affiliation.

It's possible Nexstar, which is working on acquiring WJW 8, could be interested.  Wouldn't rule them out entirely.

WUAB 43 carries MyNet and CW programming.  WBNX 55 is completely independent of any network affiliation and/or programming service.

9 hours ago, TVNewsLover said:

I wonder if Nexstar would be able to acquire it to pair with WJW and acquire the MNTV affiliation.

Nexstar is desperately trying to stay under the 39% ownership limit* with the Tribune deal. With the planned divestitures (complicated by the failed resale of several other stations to Fox, including WJW) they're barely at the limit.

At the rate this is going, I wouldn't be surprised to see WBNX taken over by the creditors. From there, they could 1) sell the station to another entity, or 2) sell the license to one party and the IP to another. Either way, it's out of Ernest's control.

*which is an absolute farce because of the so-called UHF Discount

27 minutes ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

It's possible Nexstar, which is working on acquiring WJW 8, could be interested.  Wouldn't rule them out entirely.

WUAB 43 carries MyNet and CW programming.  WBNX 55 is completely independent of any network affiliation and/or programming service.

Actually, MyNet is on WOIO 19.2 between 1am and 3am in an obvious contract burning, sandwiched within the rest of the MeTV lineup.

MyNet has no tangible value beyond being a white-label rerun block in prime-time. For all intents and purposes, WBNX is better off remaining an indie with spillover program inventory from whatever duopoly partner they wind up with, if they wind up with one.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

Actually, MyNet is on WOIO 19.2 between 1am and 3am in an obvious contract burning, sandwiched within the rest of the MeTV lineup.

MyNet has no tangible value beyond being a white-label rerun block in prime-time. For all intents and purposes, WBNX is better off remaining an indie with spillover program inventory from whatever duopoly partner they wind up with, if they wind up with one.

I do stand corrected there.  MyNet kind of stayed with WOIO 19 and WUAB 43 family.  I kind of look at MyNet as another PTEN (programming service from the early-to-mid 90s).

Since WBNX has so many subchannels, if it is seized and sold to another party, it could be run as a turnkey operation without the main 55.1 (and likely 55.2) feeds.

The benefit of Tegna or Scripps getting it would be a tool to compete against WJW at 10pm and even in the morning.  If WJW gets it, that's out of the question (unless they pull a KPLR...)

11 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

Nexstar is desperately trying to stay under the 39% ownership limit* with the Tribune deal. With the planned divestitures (complicated by the failed resale of several other stations to Fox, including WJW) they're barely at the limit.

At the rate this is going, I wouldn't be surprised to see WBNX taken over by the creditors. From there, they could 1) sell the station to another entity, or 2) sell the license to one party and the IP to another. Either way, it's out of Ernest's control.

*which is an absolute farce because of the so-called UHF Discount

Nexstar acquiring it won’t affect the cap at all.

Not sure I agree with the independent assessment. At least MNTV provides two hours of programming every night.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Since WBNX has so many subchannels, if it is seized and sold to another party, it could be run as a turnkey operation without the main 55.1 (and likely 55.2) feeds.

The benefit of Tegna or Scripps getting it would be a tool to compete against WJW at 10pm and even in the morning.  If WJW gets it, that's out of the question (unless they pull a KPLR...)

I like the idea of TEGNA or Scripps competing against WJW at 10PM.  Or they could do nightly 9PM newscast, since WUAB 43 discontinued 9PM last year.

On 4/28/2019 at 9:04 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

WBN = Winston Broadcast Network, the Ernest Angley Ministries subsidiary that has operated WBNX-TV. 

Not sure where the Winston came from....was it Ernest's favorite brand of cigarettes before he found salvation?😆😆

Also, the buffet (and the entire complex including the unfinished concrete tower) goes back to the Rex Humbard ministry.

Fun fact of the day.....

Ernest Angley's middle name is Winston.

Whoopsie....

Forgive me Lord for I have sinned....

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Who wants to buy a TV station? (and buffet restaurant)

Come to the Summit County Courthouse at 10am Friday....bidding starts at $2.89 million!

https://www.ohio.com/news/20190604/ernest-angleys-cathedral-buffet-tv-studios-property-scheduled-for-friday-sheriffs-sale

(I'm sure WBNX itself is unaffected, for now....that is unless the new owners evict them as this could be just for the building and not the license and "non-license assets")

I'm thinking the default back in 2017 was the reason that the CW went packing and affiliated with WUAB.  It seems like an act of default can invalidate something like an affilaition agreement.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

(Cross posted from 2019-20 Syndicated News)

WBNX in Cleveland has released its Fall 2019 lineup and there are some changes.  The biggest two are:

No more "Ninety and Nine Club" on weekdays at 9am

"Dr. Oz" moving to WBNX from WJW.

Also joining TV55 are Protection Court, America Says, and Sheriffs: El Dorado County.

https://www.wbnx.com/fall-schedule-2019

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

(Cross posted from 2019-20 Syndicated News)

WBNX in Cleveland has released its Fall 2019 lineup and there are some changes.  The biggest two are:

No more "Ninety and Nine Club" on weekdays at 9am

"Dr. Oz" moving to WBNX from WJW.

Also joining TV55 are Protection Court, America Says, and Sheriffs: El Dorado County.

https://www.wbnx.com/fall-schedule-2019

All of these talk shows just goes to show you how all of the other major Cleveland stations have cut back on their syndicated shows for newscasts or their other inbred efforts (cough cough Scripps, cough cough Tegna...)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I am actually surprised that WBNX is dropping 90 and Nine altogether.  I thought that show, at least at 9am, was untouchable on 55.1.  Ernest Angley is now reduced to one hour on Sunday mornings every week.

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

I am actually surprised that WBNX is dropping 90 and Nine altogether.  I thought that show, at least at 9am, was untouchable on 55.1.  Ernest Angley is now reduced to one hour on Sunday mornings every week.

When was the last time Ernest was actually on his own program?  He's had guest hosts for like the last 3 or so years.

Unless they're completely moving the show to 55.2, the hurt of the scandals, losing the CW, and all of the foreclosure proceedings have likely taken their toll on WBNX and probably slashed the production budget

(that is, if it's staffed by actual "paid" employees, and not the "volunteers" that got them into hot water with the Cathedral Buffet)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

More fun facts about WBNX.....

Looked in their FCC file, and their CW contract was supposed to go through 2021.  WUAB's agreement with them goes through 2023.

Also, the entity that owns WBNX (Winston Broadcasting), a for-profit entity is 100% owned by Grace Cathedral, Inc, a non-profit entity.

And Dagmar Midcap (formerly of WGCL CBS 46 Atlanta) started her career here in the 90s.  I think she tagged this promo too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga15wlTr1O8

Sheesh, WBNX must've really pissed off The CW (or vice-versa) for the contract to be cut off early like that. Either that or the network hates smaller owners. After all, we'd seen this before with The CW and other networks, where the smaller owner was shafted in favor of the big boys like Gray, Nexstar, and Tegna. In fact, when ABC abandoned family-owned small marked station WKPT in favor of a Nexstar-owned station, ABC all but stated that they wanted to ally themselves with a big corporation and that the loyal family-owned station could go to hell for all they cared (obviously, they didn't say it that way, but considering the tone of the announcement they might as well have).

Money must have been the issue.  Up until last year, WBNX was a "must carry" station and changed to "retransmission consent".   Gray could have simply offered more money and with the financial troubles at the Angley Empire, they obliged and sold the affiliation to Gray & WUAB for some well-needed cash.

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Money must have been the issue.  Up until last year, WBNX was a "must carry" station and changed to "retransmission consent".   Gray could have simply offered more money and with the financial troubles at the Angley Empire, they obliged and sold the affiliation to Gray & WUAB for some well-needed cash.

Makes sense. Also, if you have a CBS affiliate and they want to have the CW in the same city, it also makes sense to give it to them.