KFMB San Diego goes to TEGNA

Weeters

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great purchase for Tegna surprised that CBS did not buy Les said they would be buying TV stations after spin off of radio I think it's a great sell for Elisabeth Kimmel and Midwest

CBS would have faced an immediate union issue due to IBEW repesenting all the L.A. operations.

KFMB has many very highly paid management and staff at the 30 and 40 years mark.

EP's...photogs, editors, assignment editors etc.

Tons of local experience that shows on the air...makes a real nice product.

Those days...

Are GONE.

KBEX will most likley assume the operations of "Chopper-8"...

Stay tuned...

"Chopper-X" coming 2018.

CBS would have faced an immediate union issue due to IBEW repesenting all the L.A. operations.

KFMB has many very highly paid management and staff at the 30 and 40 years mark.

EP's...photogs, editors, assignment editors etc.

Tons of local experience that shows on the air...makes a real nice product.

Those days...

Are GONE.

KBEX will most likley assume the operations of "Chopper-8"...

Stay tuned...

"Chopper-X" coming 2018.

Why? The reason is simple: TEGNAitis.

What does that have to do with a station in San Diego?

Most of the unionized stations in California are organized under the same IBEW Local (Local 45). Sacramento? San Fransisco? Burbank? All Local 45. You better bet they'd have a problem with CBS buying up a station in the state that wasn't unionized.

Pretty sure the radio stations were a deal breaker, if CBS was even interested.

The radios stations could easly be sold or otherwise dealt with.

The labor issue would be epic...and never go away.

I would have paid to see that one.

The radios stations could easly be sold or otherwise dealt with.

The labor issue would be epic...and never go away.

I would have paid to see that one.

That’s why this is more complex than most probably thought. Didn’t even occur to me about Local 45, for example... I can see (sorry) why CBS balked. (I’m presuming KXTV is not a union shop?)

Of note, today’s Tom Taylor NOW newsletter has a mention that CBS offered the Kimmels $800M for the KFMB group 20 years ago... and the Kimmels turned it down.

Of note, today’s Tom Taylor NOW newsletter has a mention that CBS offered the Kimmels $800M for the KFMB group 20 years ago... and the Kimmels turned it down.

Absolutely Speechless.

What was KRON?

830...840mil?

...and KRON was in the 4th DMA...network affil... at the time?.

10 years from now we will hopefully hear the tales of this sale also. I know it gonna be a good juicy story.

Merry Christmas or "Happy however you roll" ...to you and the Toons.

Absolutely Speechless.

What was KRON?

830...840mil?

...and KRON was in the 4th DMA...network affil... at the time?.

$823 million in 1999. (Aside, that article is a fun trip down memory lane. "'We intend to be a fabulous affiliate with NBC if the relationship is two years or 200 years,' Young said." Lol.)

Poor Scott wasn't FIRST to report this ... shocking...

He was also "first" reporting that the suits from Sinclair were spotted in the station....

We all know how that ended up.

Sometimes he just needs to stick to his golf, dog and his infatuation with Robin Meade.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hate to hear about budget cuts, but it was only a matter of time. Now I wonder how soon they are going to get the underwhelming Tegna graphics package. Then after that, how soon will KUSI will pick up Judge Judy and Dr. Phil? Guessing Daily Blast Live will hit Saj Diego airwaves this fall?

Archived