KFMB San Diego goes to TEGNA

Weeters

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get ready for the ax to fall on the staff, and eventually for the ratings to fall too. However, this is a good acquisition for them and they will be able to realize quite a few economies of scale with the television station.

And at a staggering purchase price of $325 million, holy heck they are cashing out.

*Phew* sort of. While it's not my top choices of Hearst, Meredith, or Dispatch, it is not Nexstar or Sinclair. I think if done right, *right* being the keyword here, Tegna could be a good fit for San Diego. But, I have a feeling that with the recent staff turnovers and a company that has given legacy stations "Tegna-itis" buying a legacy station, that this will be the downfall of KFMB. But, hopefully, I'm wrong. If I'm not, the other stations in the market better step it up A LOT.

The outcome is still not gonna be real pretty. There is gonna be a giant blood letting. Just how bad we will see.

But yes...it could have been worse.

But plenty heads will be lopped-off.

I wonder what Smegma will do to keep the "natives" in line.

I did not think they would get anywhere near $325M, even for the combined operations. Good on Midwest TV!

While it's not totally out of the question they sell the radio stations to a company more well versed in that business down the road (including Cox), this does diversify their portfolio somewhat, and if TEGNA is committed to trying something different in that regard, buying other radio stations in this environment isn't super expensive to do.

They don't seem to mess with their top performing stations (read: Belo acquisitions) an insane amount like they do with the old Gannett fold, so in that respect it's a bullet dodged.

Though, I do wonder now about the future of Cox, given this was a no-brainer for them and they either couldn't get or didn't want the cluster...

I did not think they would get anywhere near $325M, even for the combined operations. Good on Midwest TV!

While it's not totally out of the question they sell the radio stations to a company more well versed in that business down the road (including Cox), this does diversify their portfolio somewhat, and if TEGNA is committed to trying something different in that regard, buying other radio stations in this environment isn't super expensive to do.

They don't seem to mess with their top performing stations (read: Belo acquisitions) an insane amount like they do with the old Gannett fold, so in that respect it's a bullet dodged.

Though, I do wonder now about the future of Cox, given this was a no-brainer for them and they either couldn't get or didn't want the cluster...

Considering many of the radio giants are probably on life support, TV companies may decide to bulk up and purchase same-market radio stations? Although that is a topic for the Speculatron.

Admittedly, the one thing I will give Sinclair credit for is their hands-off style when it comes to KOMO-AM/FM and how it was practically the same from when I was there in 2006. Still sad admittedly though to drive by FISHER Plaza and it now being called KOMO Plaza. Doesn't have the same ring, the same pride that FISHER had in Seattle

Archived