KENV (Elko, NV) Losing Affiliation, Shuttering News Dept.

TheRolyPoly

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Nielsen maps need a significant redraw IMO. Aside from **maybe** a place like West Wendover, do any of the SLC stations cross state lines?

It looks like they also have southwestern Wyoming and southeastern Idaho; the former because Wyoming's television situation is either the cheap local stations (and probably a lot of satellite waivers to get the Denver stations) or a split between Salt Lake and Denver, the other since their signals permeate into Idaho. In practice I also assume that Colorado City, Arizona is technically a part of the SLC DMA in practice since it shares a border with Hildale (along with the entire FLDS mess and those authorities pretty much shunning Phoenix media).

It looks like they also have southwestern Wyoming and southeastern Idaho; the former because Wyoming's television situation is either the cheap local stations (and probably a lot of satellite waivers to get the Denver stations) or a split between Salt Lake and Denver, the other since their signals permeate into Idaho. In practice I also assume that Colorado City, Arizona is technically a part of the SLC DMA in practice since it shares a border with Hildale (along with the entire FLDS mess and those authorities pretty much shunning Phoenix media).

The Arizona Strip (the region of the state including Colorado City and Fredonia) is rather isolated from the rest of the state, and culturally those two towns are closer to Utah. (Littlefield sits closer to the tripoint with UT and NV, but it sits on a stretch of I-15 that meets no other Arizona state highways.)

With the exception of a KSAZ translator (KSAZ is the only station that makes it to the northern part of the Mohave County translator system), it is essentially an SLC area. The KUTV, KSL, KTVX (station-owned?), KUED and KUEN translators (all station-owned) actually all have their facilities in Arizona.

In Littlefield, the opposite is the case for the KSAZ translator: it's physically in Utah. West Mountain Peak, the highest point in the Beaver Dam range, has translators for KSAZ, KTVX, KUED, KSL, KBYU, KSTU, and KCSG (!). (There's also an analog LPTV up there with a weird L-shaped signal contour that doesn't matter here, and a KUCW translator that is super directional to the east.) Some of these translators broadcast at high enough power (250 or 300 watts @ 1291 m HAAT) to potentially cover St. George, while the KSAZ service is directional toward the southwest at 100 watts, presumably to prevent it from being received in St. George. (A number of additional services are transmitted to that town on a ridge closer in and to the south of the city.) A number of the services are probably intended for Santa Clara, northwest of St. George but blocked from the ridge site by hills, but the signal contours include Littlefield.

What's more, if you have a good antenna, you might also be able to receive KLVX's translator in Mesquite, but it comes from the southwest instead of the north-northeast.

I don’t buy that. Every three years a station has to file for retransmission consent with MVPD providers so they have to had to know about KENV.

Well, Satview if you look at their lineup almost is in the Reno market.

KUPX, along with KUCW and KTVX (which must have forced their way on fairly recently, they have high channel numbers), are the only SLC stations. There's also KBYU, but like KUPX, it's an unduplicated service.

Rock Springs/Green River and Evanston (both in Southwestern Wyoming and both show up on weather maps on SLC stations) are much closer to SLC than they are to either Casper or Cheyenne. So that plays into it as much as the fact that the Casper market is basically controlled by one family-run company with pockets that aren't that deep (although Mountain West/Grey are trying to bring actual competition into that market for once).

Same reason the areas up by Yellowstone get their stations from Billings and Pocatello instead of Casper.

The Arizona Strip (the region of the state including Colorado City and Fredonia) is rather isolated from the rest of the state, and culturally those two towns are closer to Utah. (Littlefield sits closer to the tripoint with UT and NV, but it sits on a stretch of I-15 that meets no other Arizona state highways.)

With the exception of a KSAZ translator (KSAZ is the only station that makes it to the northern part of the Mohave County translator system), it is essentially an SLC area. The KUTV, KSL, KTVX (station-owned?), KUED and KUEN translators (all station-owned) actually all have their facilities in Arizona.

In Littlefield, the opposite is the case for the KSAZ translator: it's physically in Utah. West Mountain Peak, the highest point in the Beaver Dam range, has translators for KSAZ, KTVX, KUED, KSL, KBYU, KSTU, and KCSG (!). (There's also an analog LPTV up there with a weird L-shaped signal contour that doesn't matter here, and a KUCW translator that is super directional to the east.) Some of these translators broadcast at high enough power (250 or 300 watts @ 1291 m HAAT) to potentially cover St. George, while the KSAZ service is directional toward the southwest at 100 watts, presumably to prevent it from being received in St. George. (A number of additional services are transmitted to that town on a ridge closer in and to the south of the city.) A number of the services are probably intended for Santa Clara, northwest of St. George but blocked from the ridge site by hills, but the signal contours include Littlefield.

What's more, if you have a good antenna, you might also be able to receive KLVX's translator in Mesquite, but it comes from the southwest instead of the north-northeast.

Does KSNV still have a translator in St. George? I know the station used to be on the cable system there but I guess KSL finally raised a stink and had it taken off of the lineup.

Raymie...

Seriously, Thanks for covering this and breaking it all down for everyone.

Maybe we can take up a collection to buy you a Stenotype machine for all the efforts.

I had NO clue there were so many little translator districts and all with little politics involved. Seems like a whole different world that nobody really paid much attention too.

Thanks Again

Raymie...

Seriously, Thanks for covering this and breaking it all down for everyone.

Maybe we can take up a collection to buy you a Stenotype machine for all the efforts.

I had NO clue there were so many little translator districts and all with little politics involved. Seems like a whole different world that nobody really paid much attention too.

Thanks Again

Same here. The concept of "translators" always struck me as fascinating every time I traveled out West so this discussion has been very enjoyable to follow.

Does KSNV still have a translator in St. George? I know the station used to be on the cable system there but I guess KSL finally raised a stink and had it taken off of the lineup.

No, it doesn't. KSNV has only a few dependent translators (it's unclear if when Sinclair conducted the license/callsign/VC swap, some of the translators were left behind). The closest one to St. George is at Overton (Moapa Valley); there is another at Pahrump (owned) and three more in Lincoln County.

In terms of the Vegas stations, only analog K09KP Toquerville, UT (KTNV, allegedly) and K31BI-D Kingman, AZ (KLAS) are outside of Nevada.

Another state line that is fairly hard is the Arizona-New Mexico line, with the caveat that the DMA line and state line are not the same.

In Klagetoh, there is a KOB translator.

Then there's Roof Butte, where directionality makes the difference...

K18LG-D Shiprock (KNME) is on Roof Butte, on the AZ side of the state line, but is heavily directional to the northeast. Some AZ residents in Red Valley do receive the signal from this translator. When KASA had its own translator, K45CU, on the mountain, it served communities on the AZ and NM sides. (The license was cancelled in September though Ramar has retained many of KASA's translators, which almost certainly gives it the distinction of having the most translators of any Spanish-language TV station in the country.)

K36JX-D Many Farms, AZ (KOAT) is also licensed to the Grand Canyon State, but no matter, the Navajo Nation portion of Apache County is actually ABQ DMA (which is a time zone consideration — the Navajo Nation is on DST, unlike the rest of the state). While co-located with K18LG-D, its signal contour is non-directional and provides a watchable signal to Round Rock, Tsaile and Wheatfields, and Chinle is just out of the contour. (Hearst owns an analog translator for KOAT in Chinle. Why are there still OWNED analog translators of major TV stations?)

And K49ET-D (KOB) and K30GL-D (KRQE) are licensed to Many Farms. Their signals go to the southwest.

Also on the Navajo Nation is the curiosity of translators of an LPTV — K45LU-D Window Rock, which broadcasts Navajo Nation Television (also known as NNTV 5) and has two rebroadcasters of its own in New Mexico.

I just found another translator district that is strange and I'm sure someone will enjoy: the Southwest Colorado TV Translator Association, with coverage of Cortez and also Durango.

Salt Lake City: KJZZ, KUEN, KSTU, KSL, KUTV, KBYU, KUPX, KTVX, KUED

ABQ: KOAT, KOBF (twice?), KCHF (Christian in Santa Fe), KNME, KASA, KRQE, KTFQ? (analog? keep in mind KTFQ and KLUZ essentially swapped licenses),

Durango: K16GZ-D (owned by Randall Weiss...something called IBN Television?), KRTN, KRMU

Denver: KWGN, KUSA, KRMA, KTVD, KBDI,

Grand Junction: KGBY (ex-KJCT, RabbitEars lists carriage of KJCT-LP)

Unclear source: K21LC-D

What market are we in again? Oh yeah, Albuquerque.

Same here. The concept of "translators" always struck me as fascinating every time I traveled out West so this discussion has been very enjoyable to follow.

It does. Coming from metropolitan areas and smaller DMAs they aren’t really needed.

I just found another translator district that is strange and I'm sure someone will enjoy: the Southwest Colorado TV Translator Association, with coverage of Cortez and also Durango.

Salt Lake City: KJZZ, KUEN, KSTU, KSL, KUTV, KBYU, KUPX, KTVX, KUED

ABQ: KOAT, KOBF (twice?), KCHF (Christian in Santa Fe), KNME, KASA, KRQE, KTFQ? (analog? keep in mind KTFQ and KLUZ essentially swapped licenses),

Durango: K16GZ-D (owned by Randall Weiss...something called IBN Television?), KRTN, KRMU

Denver: KWGN, KUSA, KRMA, KTVD, KBDI,

Grand Junction: KGBY (ex-KJCT, RabbitEars lists carriage of KJCT-LP)

Unclear source: K21LC-D

What market are we in again? Oh yeah, Albuquerque.

That's an interesting saga because unlike KSL which was indifferent about Elko, the New Mexico stations were adamantly opposed to Durango and Cortez receiving stations from Denver because they view that as a threat to their revenues.

Even though most people in Durango and Cortez would prefer to get their programming from Denver instead of Albuquerque because like Elko, they want news that's relevant to their state (plus I believe the demand for Broncos games also played a part because KRQE isn't 100% reliable with those).

https://durangoherald.com/articles/180153

That's an interesting saga because unlike KSL which was indifferent about Elko, the New Mexico stations were adamantly opposed to Durango and Cortez receiving stations from Denver because they view that as a threat to their revenues.

Even though most people in Durango and Cortez would prefer to get their programming from Denver instead of Albuquerque because like Elko, they want news that's relevant to their state (plus I believe the demand for Broncos games also played a part because KRQE isn't 100% reliable with those).

https://durangoherald.com/articles/180153

I'm surprised all the SLC stations are available but not KMGH, KCNC or KDVR. I also wonder if repacking is going to require them to cut back on available services.

If you go back further (early 90s), Durango/Cortez had major SLC, major Denver, plus "locals" KOBF (KOB semi satellite), KREZ (KREX semi satellite), and a KJCT translator, as well as an "over-the-air" cable carrying various channels, including CNN, WTBS, WGN, CBC North (CBUT without Vancouver ads), NASA Select, and C-SPAN. There were other channels, I just can't recall right now... KOAT, KRQE, and KASA may have been there - too long ago

(KOFT hadn't signed on yet, and KREZ was part of the KREX family...).

Jim

Sorry, a little off topic, but I wonder if ABC were to try and kick WWSB to the curb again, could they petition to be reassigned to the Cape Coral/Fort Myers/Naples DMA, and take the MNTV affiliation (or one of the other affiliations)?

They would have to move their transmitter. Besides, they're already firmly entrenched in the Tampa Bay market, so they could make a run as Raycom's first independent station.

Sorry, a little off topic, but I wonder if ABC were to try and kick WWSB to the curb again, could they petition to be reassigned to the Cape Coral/Fort Myers/Naples DMA, and take the MNTV affiliation (or one of the other affiliations)?

WWSB is too far to the North that it would make a move down South. Just too impossible.

They would have to move their transmitter. Besides, they're already firmly entrenched in the Tampa Bay market, so they could make a run as Raycom's first independent station.

I actually see this happening and WOULD love to see this happen. Imagine Raycom running an Independent station with local news for Florida's Suncoast (btw, I went there last year and it was beautiful).

I located a similar, but different in Ada, Oklahoma where residents are complaining about the local cable company dropping Oklahoma City NBC affiliate KFOR and favor of locally licensed KTEN.

Residents complain about change to Cable One Lineup

It was an MVPD roundup that got this whole ball rolling. I wonder if at some point KSTU or KUTV will realize what's gone on, particularly if Fox reacquires the former.

Archived