Pathetic fire coverage from ALL Los Angeles tv stations overnight

CalItalian2

100's of homes and structures burning in Ventura County (including the city of Ventura) from a Santa Ana wind driven fire overnight with 1/4 of a million customers without power and not ONE Los Angeles tv station has had live coverage since 11:45 PM (KCAL 9 was on for 10 minutes after CBS 2 News from 11:35 pm). Most stations aren't even updating their social media (Fox 11 being the worst but not unexpected from them). KNX 1070 is doing a decent job but needs to drop the spots. Right Side Broadcasting had been the best source on Facebook reading tweets and showing video from social media. VCscanner on Twitter & Broadcastify Ventura County Fire - Live Audio Feed indispensable. This is just embarrassing and pathetic for the #2 market where 24/7 live tv coverage use to replace all programming during major fire events like this.

Not on their main websites or Twitter accounts other than retweets. 100's of homes are burning right now. This is a 21 mile long fire and is burning even at Ventura City Hall. It should be on Los Angeles live tv and right now.

A hospital, Vista del Mar, has burned to the ground. An apartment complex with over 100 apartments has burned to the ground. Even Ventura City Hall is partially on fire. Still no Los Angeles tv station is on the air with live coverage at 3:30 am. Unreal.

Isn't that part of the Santa Barbara market?

Ventura County is the LA market, though KEYT/KCOY/KKFX linger into Ventura County often just for brownie points as the LA stations don't really get around to covering much from there usually. KSBY farther north in San Luis Obispo doesn't pay too much attention to Ventura County either, but this morning they had live coverage from Santa Barbara about the rolling power outages there.

Isn't that part of the Santa Barbara market?
Ventura County is part of the Los Angeles DMA. City of Ventura is about 70 miles from Downtown Los Angeles. Ventura County has no tv stations despite a population of over 850,000 (even VC Star newspaper coverage was pathetic). This is probably going to be the biggest fire in Southern California since 1993 when 400+ homes burned. There is an additional fire (Creek Fire) in the San Fernando Valley (Sylmar) with homes burning now with 4000+ acres.

Nobody was on the air prior to 4 am when the fire was really exploding that started just after sundown on Monday. Some social media started around 3:40 am.

Currently KCBS, KNBC, KTLA, KABC & KTTV are running wall to wall commercial free fire coverage on air. I expect that will continue all day as the winds are fierce here in Southern California that is driving these fires and are expected to last for days.

3rd fo

I'm streaming KNBC right now... which station is most worth watching during this?

Now that they are all up and running, all have their strong points during coverage. It's a minute to minute thing. This is such a huge fire, it's hard to cover all of what is going on. Watch them all and see what you prefer. There are now 3 fires with the addition of a fire in Santa Clarita which has closed down the 5 freeway as it jumped it.

The only thing I am surprised about is KCAL 9 is not covering the fires this morning (Fox's KTTV sister station KCOP never does). That will change at noon since it is a regularly scheduled newscast and we'll see if they continue coverage on sister CBS 2 at the same time. I'll bet they do.

I watched KNBC and KABC were both pretty good. I believe they were on air all day and signed off for primetime and had a regular or slightly extended newscasts at 11.

In other news one of the KNBC choppers got that mapping software. Im not not quite suremthe reporter got it right as they put up a terrain map showing and as the camera panned the updated roads in an attempt to show fires scale - like a google map. I think they may have meant to put the map labelling overtop the fire.

I watched KNBC and KABC were both pretty good. I believe they were on air all day and signed off for primetime and had a regular or slightly extended newscasts at 11.

In other news one of the KNBC choppers got that mapping software. Im not not quite suremthe reporter got it right as they put up a terrain map showing and as the camera panned the updated roads in an attempt to show fires scale - like a google map. I think they may have meant to put the map labelling overtop the fire.

KABC was the first to have the mapping here in Los Angeles but they weren't in that chopper on Tuesday over the Ventura County Fire.

Fox 11 10 PM news was on until at least 11:30 pm. I didn't check after that.

I wonder what the emergency evacuation procedures for this would be. The big four plus the two Spanish have stations in San Francisco. But based on proximity I would think NBC/Telemundo could debunk or throw to KNSD as it’s their the closest and do a simulcast. Maybe they’d throw it around the country.

Both Disney/ABC and CBS have secondary lots that I assume could be used. Not sure how set up they are to produce an actual newscast.

From some of the liveshots I’ve seen when the camera pans and tilts (you can see the microwave/sat trucks undeployed) it appears most are using bonded cellular so they could send the signals anywhere. I assume microwave or satellite would take a bit to long to leave in case of an emergency.

KNBC still broadcasting live in the 7 pm hour. Been on since 4 am. Overnight tonight might be the worst of all the fire activity so far with winds that are kicking up right now.

KABC was running coverage through their site (and I imagine through their KDOC newscast?) but KNBC went back on for the 7pm hour. KNBC has a GREAT chopper view of the Thomas Fire that they're running in double box with their reports. Horrifying.

Its stories like these where experience shows. I'm not a huge KNBC fan, but Chuck and Colleen can't be beat. Colleen in the market since 1983. Chuck, an LA icon since his days at KABC in the 1970s. They know the market in and out and it shows on a story like this.

I have always been a KTLA fan, and they are doing an awesome job, but these legacy teams like Chuck and Colleen are killing it now. I know its not about ratings at the moment. It's about saving homes and lives, but I hope 4 takes the cake in terms of ratings.

Archived