NBCU buying ZGS stations

NewsMaster

NBC is buying the television stations owned by ZGS Communications. Important to note that this will make two of its Telemundo stations, in Washington and Hartford, sisters to already-existing NBC O&Os.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/109362/nbcu-adding-zgs-stations-to-telemundo

I was gonna say that. Plus, this will significantly help WZGS to become a Telemundo station as its currently a spanish independent station.

NBC is buying the television stations owned by ZGS Communications. Important to note that this will make two of its Telemundo stations, in Washington and Hartford, sisters to already-existing NBC O&Os.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/109362/nbcu-adding-zgs-stations-to-telemundo

Well this marks NBCU’s re-entry into the Raleigh/Durham Market. NBCU Owned WNCN from 1997-2006 when WNCN was a NBC affiliate.

Didn’t some of those stations sign or sell off in the incentive auction.

Yes, but they will probably channel-share with other stations. Note that the TVNewsCheck article notes that they will file applications to assign the stations in Washington, Hartford, Providence and Raleigh (which were sold in the auction) at a later date. This is probably because they need to file channel-sharing agreements for the stations. WZDC-CD and WRDM-CD will probably share with WRC and WVIT, respectively. They'll have to find channel-sharing partners for WRIW-CD and WZGS-CD since NBC doesn't currently own a station in Providence or Raleigh.

From this paperwork, $75M is the purchase price. And LMA will start for some of the stations around the start of the year.

Term. The term of this Agreement (the “Term”) will begin on the later to occur of (i) any applicable waiting period under the HSR Act relating to the Purchase Agreement having expired or been terminated and (ii) January 1, 2018 (the “LMA Commencement Date”), and the Term will continue until (a) in the case of the D.C. Station, the Hartford Station and the Providence Station, the applicable Subsequent Channel Share Closing Date for such LMA Station, and (b) in the case of the Springfield Station and the Richmond Station, the Closing Date, unless, in the case of any LMA Station, earlier terminated or extended in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.

Yes, but they will probably channel-share with other stations. Note that the TVNewsCheck article notes that they will file applications to assign the stations in Washington, Hartford, Providence and Raleigh (which were sold in the auction) at a later date. This is probably because they need to file channel-sharing agreements for the stations. WZDC-CD and WRDM-CD will probably share with WRC and WVIT, respectively. They'll have to find channel-sharing partners for WRIW-CD and WZGS-CD since NBC doesn't currently own a station in Providence or Raleigh.

I was expecting Telemundo Washington would be on the air by now or soon. Turns out waiver. The channel sharing plans were due November 24. They got an extension for the channel sharing plans until February 22, 2018, the channel sharing has to be implemented and the Spectrum relinquished by April 23, 2018

I'm not sure how many new news operations will be started outside of the obvious O&O synergies, but I do think that the existing ZGS shops (El Paso, for instance) will definitely be given an overhaul and brought up to NBCU's high standards.

Seven years ago this would have been an awkward sentence to say.

Just a hunch, not speculation:

WRIW-CD shares with WJAR in Providence, making NBCU's reentry to the latter's sitck.

WZGS-CD shares with WRAL in Raleigh.

All I can say is I can’t wait for a better quality newscast here in Baltimore. We get the Washington station via Comcast and I hope they add the channel in HD or SD widescreen. It’s a painful watch.

WOW! Richmond's WZTD soon to be an O&O. NBCU will have to find a channel sharing partner for it.

WZTD to share with WWBT?

It's just my hunch that NBCU will try to lease space from its affiliate in the market when they find new homes for the ZGS stations who sold their spectrum.

WRDM > WVIT

WRIW > WJAR

WZGS > WRAL

WZDC > WRC

WZTD to share with WWBT?

It's just my hunch that NBCU will try to lease space from its affiliate in the market when they find new homes for the ZGS stations who sold their spectrum.

WRDM > WVIT

WRIW > WJAR

WZGS > WRAL

WZDC > WRC

Won't that make the next retrans agreement fun for all involved.

Which begs the question...

Were you better off selling your spectrum...or better off leasing stick space?

"Stick Sharing" can be a nasty practice for germphobes.

Archived