Georgie56

Forgive me if I'm missing the point here but shouldn't everyone act appropriately?

As you can see, that's not how people are wired. I'm not saying that Matt didn't do the wrong thing. I am saying that in a 30 year career, in an incredibly stressful and tough workplace environment, among people who are not happily married, you are quite likely to see moments of behaviour that are not perfectly moral.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NBC would have been damned to hell if they DIDN’T tell Savannah, Hota and Al anything before airtime... and the Page Six story subsequently explodes.

They were already severely burned when Ronan Farrow’s series of exposes on Harvey Weinstein INTENDED FOR NBC got spiked, and he went to the New Yorker to publish them. (And even then, after the first New Yorker article was published, NBC NN didn’t cover Weinstein to any extent like ABC WNT or CBS EN did.)

You right. I meant right before air they found out the news. The big heads knew about this since Monday and from other people they knew much longer. Why couldn’t they tell them this Tuesday night so they could be mentally prepared.

You right. I meant right before air they found out the news. The big heads knew about this since Monday and from other people they knew much longer. Why couldn’t they tell them this Tuesday night so they could be mentally prepared.

Because Andy Lack lacks any type of mental fortitude. It's been leaked since the weekend that the allegations were coming out this week.

OK if the big heads knew Monday, why didn't this break yesterday? Was matt any different yesterday, like he knew it was his last TODAY but Al and Savannah didn't?

I feel bad for Matt. Don't agree with the way this is playing out. Matt had affairs. OK. Matt did something in Rio. I understand the little there is to know so far. He may have done some kind of wrong. I don't think he is a bad person. And I don't think he deserves this. I may be proven wrong - but I think we are in something of a witch-hunt.

He has been plagued by rumors about his behavior in general, not just sexual-related issues. He’s not a victim in the slightest.

OK if the big heads knew Monday, why didn't this break yesterday? Was matt any different yesterday, like he knew it was his last TODAY but Al and Savannah didn't?

It’s being reported that the decision to terminate was made last night.

I think there is something not right about all this. You have people in HIGH-pressure work environments - putting out content and meeting deadlines with hours and hours of live network television every day (which is supposed to just look perfectly easy to make), in a fiercely competitive and highly-strung industry, you are talking about people who are single or separated, at workplaces full of people chosen partly on their physical attractiveness. And we expect them to act like saints every single moment of their ENTIRE career.

You should honestly be ashamed of yourself. It’s okay to respect and admire Matt’s work, but to suggest that this is some kind of hit job on him is ridiculous. If you opened your eyes and paid attention you wouldn’t be surprised by these accusations. You’re seriously suggesting that Matt should be excused for his sexual misconduct which violates workplace policy because he is forced to be away from his family? I can’t believe you. Stay in Australia and out of American media.

He has been plagued by rumors about his behavior in general, not just sexual-related issues. He’s not a victim in the slightest.

Mark Zinni once said Matt Lauer was “not nice” when he interned there. That could be interpreted so many ways in this current context.

You should honestly be ashamed of yourself. It’s okay to respect and admire Matt’s work, but to suggest that this is some kind of hit job on him is ridiculous. If you opened your eyes and paid attention you wouldn’t be surprised by these accusations. You’re seriously suggesting that Matt should be excused for his sexual misconduct which violates workplace policy because he is forced to be away from his family? I can’t believe you. Stay in Australia and out of American media.

I'm not suggesting it's a hit job on him. I'm not saying anything about him being forced to be away from his family. We don't know the details of any sexual misconduct at this stage. I don't agree with you but am happy to hear your opinions.

If I had put money on “Who’s the next to get busted” it probably would have been Lauer.

I could have made a fortune!!

Odds probably weren't good.

I'd have made a play on longer odds, like (hilariously unlikely person).

As you can see, that's not how people are wired. I'm not saying that Matt didn't do the wrong thing. I am saying that in a 30 year career, in an incredibly stressful and tough workplace environment, among people who are not happily married, you are quite likely to see moments of behaviour that are not perfectly moral.

As you can tell I was in retirement from this forum let alone this thread for the past year and seeing this ordeal, and as I am shocked by fox2’s defense, in other words that’s practically code for enabling.

Look, we all admire and respect our favorite presenters or TV personality in our neck of the woods. But in the age of accountability, no one is above the law. Not even Matt Lauer, or Charlie Rose or anyone at any cable network regardless of political spectrum. NBC let alone Comcast, had to do what they had to do. It’s ethics over finance. Period.

Anyone else think Savannah's and Kathie Lee's responses were more sympathetic to Lauer than to the victim? I get it, we are all human and can be genuinely good people and make mistakes, and maybe Matt fits the bill, but he is not the victim here.

I'm not suggesting it's a hit job on him. I'm not saying anything about him being forced to be away from his family. We don't know the details of any sexual misconduct at this stage. I don't agree with you but am happy to hear your opinions.

Kinda sounds like your previous posts were insinuating that a bit of sexual harassment is okay in the workplace, as long as it's not a lot. You should go back to posting pointless Australian videos that no one cares about.

Putting Brian Williams in Matt's slot seems like a no-brainer to me. NBC brass still adores him, the audience has had a lengthy period of time to forgive him, and in this environment of relativism in everything, he looks relatively good compared to others.

Anyone else think Savannah's and Kathie Lee's responses were more sympathetic to Lauer than to the victim? I get it, we are all human and can be genuinely good people and make mistakes, and maybe Matt fits the bill, but he is not the victim here.

I felt the same way, especially compared to how Gayle & Norah broke the news of Charlie Rose's then-suspension from CBS.

Putting Brian Williams in Matt's slot seems like a no-brainer to me. NBC brass still adores him, the audience has had a lengthy period of time to forgive him, and in this environment of relativism in everything, he looks relatively good compared to others.

Even though it's still too early to do speculating (it did just break four hours ago), the primary replacements are already on the Today brand, much less already on the network.

I'd almost bet the top of the list are for Mr. Lack to pull Sunday Today's Willie Geist from MSNBC's Morning Joe OR pull Weekend Today's Craig Melvin from dayside duty on MSNBC Live.

Also, for trivial purposes, there's also Carson Daly.

Criticizing his colleagues' responses is silly. They said nothing against the victim. Very few issues in life are simple black and white. You don't tell people how to cope.

His colleagues are journalists as well. I agree they said nothing bad about the victim. Just seemed like they were more sad about Matt's termination than about the misconduct the victim suffered. Norah and Gayle's responses were more firm, making it clear the victims were more important while acknowledging Charlie as a friend.

His colleagues are journalists as well. I agree they said nothing bad about the victim. Just seemed like they were more sad about Matt's termination than about the misconduct the victim suffered. Norah and Gayle's responses were more firm, making it clear the victims were more important while acknowledging Charlie as a friend.

Agreed. I guess my thing is, unless they literally condemn the victim, there isn't really a wrong way to go about it.

Archived