Georgie56

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa! What a shock! Matt Lauer? Damn!

Just the other day I was saying what a legend and veteran he was after watching the NBC Thanksgiving Parade. This is really starting to become so annoying. I grew up watching Matt on WNBC and for a festive Network like NBC, I always watch them more during the holidays because of how much more festive NBC and WNBC is so its going to be a bit uncomfortable watching this show knowing he's not there anymore..

Obviously Sexual Harassment is horrible, on all levels, but I begin to wonder if this can be used as a basis to "sabotage an individual’s career". According to CNN and several organizations, he was under initial investigation so i'm not saying that this was what happened in Matt's case but I wonder if people will use this in the future. When legends like Matt Lauer are being fired it really goes to show how now there’s absolutely zero tolerance for this type of behavior. Does not matter where you are in an organization, you will be terminated. And those who've done it know who they are, it will come back to bite them as well eventually. And as we all know, NBC does not hesitate in getting rid of high profile officials they fired the legendary Brian Williams for fabricating a fake story several years ago, but at least he's still employed at MSNBC on a lower level. Their integrity matters more.

But wow, aside from all of this, from a business and TV production standpoint, this a very devastating blow for NBC and loyal viewers and what a shame. He was essentially the face of the Today Show. So it will be interesting to see who will step on the heels of him. Billy Bush would've been a nice contender, but he too was fired due to sexual harassment..

And of course it doesn't help that tonight is the Rockefeller Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony, a familiar face will be missing from that show tonight..

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/29/nbc-terminates-matt-lauer-for-alleged-inappropriate-sexual-behavior-in-the-workplace.html

Stunning news. Holy crap. Yet another career done.

At the rate this is going, we'll do good to get national news and features only in text messages, not from anyone we've been visually acquainted with.

This is tough. The Today Show has been my choice for a morning program for years. I missed Savannah’s announcement this morning, but I caught their toss to Al’s weather and he said something along the lines of how hard it was to hear the news about a friend of 30 years... I thought someone died but then I checked my phone and saw the news. Al was obviously shaken.

It’s definitely a no-brainer PR move for NBC to straight up terminate Lauer. In today’s social media outrage climate, they couldn’t afford to simply suspend him without pay until things become “more clear”.

At the rate this is going, we'll do good to get national news and features only in text messages, not from anyone we've been visually acquainted with.

This is basically already here in the form of BuzzFeed and NowThis videos...

This is tough. The Today Show has been my choice for a morning program for years. I missed Savannah’s announcement this morning, but I caught their toss to Al’s weather and he said something along the lines of how hard it was to hear the news about a friend of 30 years... I thought someone died but then I checked my phone and saw the news. Al was obviously shaken.

It’s definitely a no-brainer PR move for NBC to straight up terminate Lauer. In today’s social media outrage climate, they couldn’t afford to simply suspend him without pay until things become “more clear”.

This is basically already here in the form of BuzzFeed and NowThis videos...

I had the same reaction at first. Death first came to mind especially with Savanah's shaky voice as she opened the show.

But...who was surprised by this.

Honestly... the rumors had been flying around him for YEARS of his sleaze and alleged sexual misconduct.

With last weeks body-snatching of the relatively mild* Charlie Rose, it was only a matter of time for Matt to get giant reckoning as well.

* Mild is a reference to his demeanor, not his allegations

Matt Lauer is ... WAS ... the highest paid broadcaster journalist out there. You don’t fire him unless there’s something really damning out there, staring you right in the face.

NBC brought in Andy Lack because of the Brian Williams fiasco. He’s there as quality control for NBC News. This is what he’s supposed to do. What would be a shock is if Andy totally botched this and simply fired Matt without proper vetting of the allegations.

I feel bad for Matt. Don't agree with the way this is playing out. Matt had affairs. OK. Matt did something in Rio. I understand the little there is to know so far. He may have done some kind of wrong. I don't think he is a bad person. And I don't think he deserves this. I may be proven wrong - but I think we are in something of a witch-hunt.

Two morning shows rocked by these sexual misconduct behavior. I’m so stunned that NBC out right terminated him and did not suspend him. He seemed to have more pull around there than Brian Williams who did something just as damaging to his career. On GMA this morning, it seems like this affected Robin a great deal as well.

But NBC still can’t get it right. As someone in broadcast, why would you tell your talent before air, this type of information. I really would like to know their reasoning.

I'm beyond shocked about this!!! Who would have guessed this was the way Matt would leave TODAY. I saw a tabloid at Wal Mart yesterday that read something like Matt is leaving TODAY, didn't pick it up and read it, anyone know what that was about??? How odd that I saw that yesterday and what happened this morning!

I'm getting the feeling that we should be worried about every News Outlet! What's next ABC?!?! CNN?!?!?!?!? CNBC/MSNBC!?!?!? BBC even?!!?!?!?

Somewhere, Ann Curry is enjoying the ultimate Schadenfreude right now.

This shouldn't really be a surprise.

Somewhere, Ann Curry is enjoying the ultimate Schadenfreude right now.

This shouldn't really be a surprise.

She smiling somewhere today, but again WOW...I'm shocked as well too!

Two morning shows rocked by these sexual misconduct behavior. I’m so stunned that NBC out right terminated him and did not suspend him. He seemed to have more pull around there than Brian Williams who did something just as damaging to his career. On GMA this morning, it seems like this affected Robin a great deal as well.

But NBC still can’t get it right. As someone in broadcast, why would you tell your talent before air, this type of information. I really would like to know their reasoning.

They don't like to admit it on Camera but, I think they all know each other when they're not at work.

I think there is something not right about all this. You have people in HIGH-pressure work environments - putting out content and meeting deadlines with hours and hours of live network television every day (which is supposed to just look perfectly easy to make), in a fiercely competitive and highly-strung industry, you are talking about people who are single or separated, at workplaces full of people chosen partly on their physical attractiveness. And we expect them to act like saints every single moment of their ENTIRE career.

I think there is something not right about all this. You have people in HIGH-pressure work environments - putting out content and meeting deadlines with hours and hours of live network television every day (which is supposed to just look perfectly easy to make), in a fiercely competitive and highly-strung industry, you are talking about people who are single or divorced, at workplaces full of people chosen based on their appearance. And we expect them to act like saints every single moment of their ENTIRE career.

Forgive me if I'm missing the point here but shouldn't everyone act appropriately?

NBC would have been damned to hell if they DIDN’T tell Savannah, Hota and Al anything before airtime... and the Page Six story subsequently explodes.

They were already severely burned when Ronan Farrow’s series of exposes on Harvey Weinstein INTENDED FOR NBC got spiked, and he went to the New Yorker to publish them. (And even then, after the first New Yorker article was published, NBC NN didn’t cover Weinstein to any extent like ABC WNT or CBS EN did.)

I think there is something not right about all this. You have people in HIGH-pressure work environments - putting out content and meeting deadlines with hours and hours of live network television every day (which is supposed to just look perfectly easy to make), in a fiercely competitive and highly-strung industry, you are talking about people who are single or divorced, at workplaces full of people chosen based on their appearance. And we expect them to act like saints every single moment of their ENTIRE career.

Attitudes like that directly result in people believing the behavior is OK. When you're in your workplace: you're there TO WORK. It's one thing to fall in love with someone at work (frowned upon, but still, understandable). But any sexual activity between coworkers, both unwanted and wanted will ALWAYS create an atmosphere ripe for intimidation. And creates the opening for harassment to occur.

And when you're in a power position (in which Matt holds held,) you don't do it. PERIOD.

Archived