1988-89 South Florida Affiliation Switch

compubit

Here are some clips recorded back in 88/89 about the South Florida affiliation switch.

- They're WTVJ heavy - as that was the primary station promoting the switch

- WSVN focused on a gazillion hours of news per day (basically the first promo)

- WCIX (then owned by TVX) didn't really promote anything, as CBS didn't take control of the station until January 1, 1989 (or shortly thereafter)

- WPEC ran "1-2-Turn-To" promotions (didn't have a decent signal on 12 at my parents)

- WPTV ran "We're not about to change", as they were the only big 3 station in the West Palm Beach market not changing.

- WPLG ran a lot of "There's only One..." promos (Good News package).

- WPBF didn't sign on until Jan. 1, 1989, so no promos that I could see (plus no signal at my parents...)

[MEDIA=vimeo]244556484[/MEDIA]

(p.s., that "Goofy Station on 5" is also an NBC station, Jay...)

Many of the promos in the video were WTVJ. Other than that, I only saw WSVN and WPTV. I understand me not seeing WPEC (no decent signal at your parents), but I think you left out WPLG.

This tape didn't have any WPLG promos - they didn't air a lot - it was very sporadic, and I'm not sure I captured any on tape. If I run across any others, I'll update the site.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are some clips recorded back in 88/89 about the South Florida affiliation switch.

- They're WTVJ heavy - as that was the primary station promoting the switch

- WSVN focused on a gazillion hours of news per day (basically the first promo)

- WCIX (then owned by TVX) didn't really promote anything, as CBS didn't take control of the station until January 1, 1989 (or shortly thereafter)

- WPEC ran "1-2-Turn-To" promotions (didn't have a decent signal on 12 at my parents)

- WPTV ran "We're not about to change", as they were the only big 3 station in the West Palm Beach market not changing.

- WPLG ran a lot of "There's only One..." promos (Good News package).

- WPBF didn't sign on until Jan. 1, 1989, so no promos that I could see (plus no signal at my parents...)

[MEDIA=vimeo]244556484[/MEDIA]

(p.s., that "Goofy Station on 5" is also an NBC station, Jay...)

Thank you very much for uploading this. I applaud you for the rare collection of clips regarding the BIG Miami tv switch. Hope you post more in the future.

Great promos by WTVJ except for the ads with the stand-up comedians whose acts involve worrying or anxiety. Hopefully we see more ads from the WPB side of the deal from WPEC and WTVX. WPBF didn't exist yet and I'm sure WTVX downplayed it since they were going from CBS to Independence and were canning their news department unlike WSVN who was expanding.

One thing I haven't researched from old TV Guide listings, did WTVJ even bother televising Sale of The Century or Super Password since they were going away in March? WTVJ had a Noon newscast which is when Super Password was aired on NBC's schedule so I'm going to assume at least Super Password wasn't shown.

WPTV used the theme "We're not about to Change!" with NBC's "Only on NBC" theme

WPEC ran some "1-2-Turn-To" promos, but IIRC, most were promoting the CBS programming promotional magazine they mailed out to homes in the core area of the market (WPEC was using Turn To News at the time), which was tied to a "Turn to 12" contest.

I never saw anything from WPBF, save an add in TV Guide - all of that is long since gone...

Jim

Archived