TEGNA's New Graphics?

IndoTVNewsFan

Some of the logos in that demo may not be the actual logos that the station uses when they launch this look. I'm pretty sure that is just the demo reel that Troika sent with the files that TEGNA sent them. I've heard of a few TEGNA stations recently looking at revising or replacing their logo when they get these. At least one of them is in that video.
Is one of the stations in question WFAA, KHOU, or WWL by any chance?

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guarantee you it isn't KHOU. But I'll check tomorrow when I'm there. (Possibly getting a job there, fingers crossed)

The legendary Kent Brockman at Channel 11?! HOGWASH I TELL YOU!

Good luck!

I guarantee you it isn't KHOU. But I'll check tomorrow when I'm there. (Possibly getting a job there, fingers crossed)

I’m sure you’ll do a fantastic job of informing us about our new insect overlords.

Good luck!

All of TEGNA's stations' websites have the new layout now, except, as expected, KFMB. Still, no changes in the graphics, but I'm expecting at least one or two stations to get the new graphics within the next few days to a week.

Both of the outliers will more than likely be among the last, and probably will be the last to get the new graphics.

Man, it's been almost a week since I posted this. If no new stations get the new graphics within the next few days, there might be something going on over at TEGNA and Troika or something like that.

Man, it's been almost a week since I posted this. If no new stations get the new graphics within the next few days, there might be something going on over at TEGNA and Troika or something like that.

Is that the reason why the rest of the TEGNA Texas cluster still has the old graphics yet, KENS and KVUE has the new graphics?

Is that the reason why the rest of the TEGNA Texas cluster still has the old graphics yet, KENS and KVUE has the new graphics?
And WUSA for some reason. Yes, it made sense for the NBC affiliates to get the new graphics because of the Super Bowl and Olympics, yet for whatever reason, WUSA still doesn't have the new graphics (it's one of three of TEGNA's flagships for crying out loud!), though they should get them when their new set makes it debut. Say what you will about Sinclair, but at least they managed to rollout their graphics smoother than TEGNA has. Including their (Sinclair's) Texas cluster.

And WUSA for some reason. Yeah, it made sense for the NBC affiliates to get the new graphics, yet for whatever reason, WUSA still doesn't have the new graphics (it's one of three of TEGNA's flagships for crying out loud!), though they should get them when their new set makes it debut. Say what you will about Sinclair, but at least they managed to rollout their graphics smoother than TEGNA has. Including their (Sinclair's) Texas cluster.

You'd think that WUSA would be the first one to get the new graphics but the only reason why they didn't is because TEGNA had to get the new graphics rolled out to the NBC affiliates in time for the Olympics (which you'd think that TEGNA would have the new graphics rolled out to the CBS affiliates in time for March Madness) but nope, I think either TEGNA is taking it's sweet time with the roll out of the new graphics or TEGNA had ran into an error on the graphics and is still working out that issue

You'd think that WUSA would be the first one to get the new graphics but the only reason why they didn't is because TEGNA had to get the new graphics rolled out to the NBC affiliates in time for the Olympics (which you'd think that TEGNA would have the new graphics rolled out to the CBS affiliates in time for March Madness) but nope, I think either TEGNA is taking it's sweet time with the roll out of the new graphics or TEGNA had ran into an error on the graphics and is still working out that issue
There's also a theory that might sound way out there, but... Could the Stoneman Douglas shooting have something to do with it and more?

I'm just getting way ahead of myself. Regardless as to why TEGNA seems to be taking it's sweet time rolling out the new graphics, Sinclair seems to be rolling out theirs to their stations every week. And this is despite the fact that they own more stations than TEGNA. Just check out the Sinclair-ization thread and you'll see what I mean.

There's also a theory that might sound way out there, but... Could the Stoneman Douglas shooting have something to do with it and more?

I'm just getting way ahead of myself. Regardless as to why TEGNA seems to be taking it's sweet time rolling out the new graphics, Sinclair seems to be rolling out theirs to their stations every week. And this is despite the fact that they own more stations than TEGNA. Just check out the Sinclair-ization thread and you'll see what I mean.

you kids are cute... you really think rolling out graphics is a super easy task, don’t you???

i really want to know how you think this works... maybe a button push?? think they just load a new file into the chyron??

truth is... there are a lot of parts... a lot of variables at each station... and a lot of things you’d never think or know about... all influincing something you all think is easy...

this whole idea you kids have that a slow graphics roll out is a negative thing is cute... and totally ridiculous...

nobody but you cares... not a single person... just saying...

you kids are cute... you really think rolling out graphics is a super easy task, don’t you???

i really want to know how you think this works... maybe a button push?? think they just load a new file into the chyron??

truth is... there are a lot of parts... a lot of variables at each station... and a lot of things you’d never think or know about... all influincing something you all think is easy...

this whole idea you kids have that a slow graphics roll out is a negative thing is cute... and totally ridiculous...

nobody but you cares... not a single person... just saying...

I know it's not that easy, but why is it that Sinclair is rolling out its graphics more efficiently than TEGNA despite owning more stations than them?

I know it's not that easy, but why is it that Sinclair is rolling out its graphics more efficiently than TEGNA despite owning more stations than them?

first off the sinclair shit is absolute garbage... it’s like saying mcdonalds is more “efficient” because they can get you a cheeseburger faster than a steakhouse can make you a steak...

second: sinclair is rolling out an “UPDATE” and not a brand new graphics package... so again i would be intrigued to know how you think this works...

sinclairs updates to show graphics (full screens and lower thirds) are just visual changes.... unlikely the producers workflow changed much... and the animations look like trash...

the tegna graphics are completely new... which means training people on the new stuff... new workflows... new templates...

just calm down and take a breath and realize nobody else cares how fast these roll outs happen...

WUSA is getting a new set, so it make sense to have them roll both out at once.

first off the sinclair shit is absolute garbage... it’s like saying mcdonalds is more “efficient” because they can get you a cheeseburger faster than a steakhouse can make you a steak...

second: sinclair is rolling out an “UPDATE” and not a brand new graphics package... so again i would be intrigued to know how you think this works...

sinclairs updates to show graphics (full screens and lower thirds) are just visual changes.... unlikely the producers workflow changed much... and the animations look like trash...

the tegna graphics are completely new... which means training people on the new stuff... new workflows... new templates...

just calm down and take a breath and realize nobody else cares how fast these roll outs happen...

Actually, you'd be surprised.

WUSA is getting a new set, so it make sense to have them roll both out at once.
I did acknoledge so, though why no new graphics are being rolled out to non-NBC affiliates yet (aside from KVUE, KENS, and WVEC) baffles me, especially given the fact the graphics video suggests that the graphics are ready or almost ready to be rolled out to many of the other stations. I get why KFMB, WTSP, and KXTV will more than likely be among the last to get the new graphics, as well as why the smaller market stations won't be getting them so soon, not to mention that, as you said KevCor, WUSA will get the new graphics when they debut their new set. But why the other stations aren't getting them still baffle me.

Actually, you'd be surprised.

I did acknoledge so, though why no new graphics are being rolled out to non-NBC affiliates yet (aside from KVUE, KENS, and WVEC) baffles me, especially given the fact the graphics video suggests that the graphics are ready or almost ready to be rolled out to many of the other stations. I get why KFMB, WTSP, and KXTV will more than likely be among the last to get the new graphics, as well as why the smaller market stations won't be getting them so soon, not to mention that, as you said KevCor, WUSA will get the new graphics when they debut their new set. But why the other stations aren't getting them still baffle me.

Those graphics in that video appear to be the ones made by Troika as a demo for TEGNA (similar to the video that started off this thread). Just because a station's logo appears in it, doesn't mean ALL the graphics are done for that station. Troika is not going to make every single graphic for every station in the group. Like I said, some stations are tying this into other bigger projects like a new logo or a new set, and those will probably debut more around May for sweeps.

While it may not be true that "nobody" cares about the timeline for these rollouts, I don't think I've ever heard a graphics rollout that happened "on time", even if it's just an internal deadline of "let's have everything ready a week before launch." But there is truth in that it doesn't matter. It's not a sign of anything and it doesn't mean anything. It doesn't need to make sense, it's a TV news graphics package roll out.

There's a very good chance that KHOU won't get the new graphics anytime soon because of their current situation. They have rolled out the new graphics to promos, and I have seen them in action. However, the on-air graphics will likely be held over until they move to a new building and get back to normal operations and new equipment. They're on borrowed equipment and in a small portion of the KUHT building right now, their entire operation is comprised of two empty studio spaces. Sales is based off site in an office park and master control/production is based out of Dallas.

Likely, KHOU will be one of the last.

There's a very good chance that KHOU won't get the new graphics anytime soon because of their current situation. They have rolled out the new graphics to promos, and I have seen them in action. However, the on-air graphics will likely be held over until they move to a new building and get back to normal operations and new equipment. They're on borrowed equipment and in a small portion of the KUHT building right now, their entire operation is comprised of two empty studio spaces. Sales is based off site in an office park and master control/production is based out of Dallas.

What about WFAA?

What about WFAA?

What about WFAA? They'll launch the graphics when they're good and ready, as most TEGNA stations will. You can't just change graphics at the drop of a dime, it takes time and training and sometimes equipment and software upgrades. If you'll remember, the former BELO stations particularly in the gulf coast region were some of the last to get the previous look. The group will get the look when they feel it's time to give them the look. Don't rush it.

It's also fair to say that there's still a handful of Sinclair stations that still haven't switched over to the latest version of their graphics (WSBT comes to mind... it's been 2 years since acquiring it and still no new graphics).. They'll get em... we just gotta wait patiently

It wouldn't shock me if they got them at the same time as WFAA, given their production setup (they're using WFAA's secondary control room after all), but I wouldn't expect it.

Archived