TEGNA's New Graphics?

IndoTVNewsFan

me8egxF.png

LSWUmmK.png

eB2MMqG.png

You can tell they're using the morning orange color for the bug (Otherwise wouldn't they use purple? Unless they're sticking with that color for the noon). They could at least omit the WUPL logo, since they don't simulcast the noon on 54.

Some stations also use the morning orange on midday newscasts; KVUE does it too.

I agree with you on the bug, there’s a potential for confusion where somebody could flip to 54 while 4 is doing news and find other programming. They should take the WUPL logo out from the open, too, except for mornings.

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some stations also use the morning orange on midday newscasts; KVUE does it too.

I agree with you on the bug, there’s a potential for confusion where somebody could flip to 54 while 4 is doing news and find other programming. They should take it out from the open, too, until WUPL kicks in at 7am.

It's okay for both logos to be displayed in the opens, since the 4:30-7am portion is simulcasted on BOTH 4 & 54. But outside of that, one logo will do.

Yep yep... coooos, wheeews, ahhhs, and claps going into breaking news.... good job boneheads! Thankfully the story didn't involve any deaths this time, but I'm sure they'll coooo, wheeew, and clap into a tragic story in a matter of hours or a day or so.

Bad music selections, blown out graphics (on a calibrated flatscreen), especially on the NXT graphics and the bottom ticker during weather needs bringing up. Can't hear the clap tracks on the weather stinger. Giving them one positive, the idents are well enough. They had time to rehearse, so no excuses over execution or the music selections. Hopefully this junk gets better or this legacy station will be in the further in the toilet before long.

So, what's your favorite station in the market? WGNO?

So, what's your favorite station in the market? WGNO?

These days, WVUE and WDSU are kicking tail, so between those two... my pick is FOX 8. Raycom hasn't screwed around with the operation too much, since the Benson family still has a sizeable stake in the ownership. If anything, the anchor shuffling that Raycom did has turned out to be a plus. Take WWL's loss of talent, changes so often to their identity and now g-unit beats, claps and chants.... it will be interesting to see what happens next over the next few rating periods.

Yep yep... coooos, wheeews, ahhhs, and claps going into breaking news.... good job boneheads! Thankfully the story didn't involve any deaths this time, but I'm sure they'll coooo, wheeew, and clap into a tragic story in a matter of hours or a day or so.

Bad music selections, blown out graphics (on a calibrated flatscreen), especially on the NXT graphics and the bottom ticker during weather needs bringing up. Can't hear the clap tracks on the weather stinger. Giving them one positive, the idents are well enough. They had time to rehearse, so no excuses over execution or the music selections. Hopefully this junk gets better or this legacy station will be further in the toilet before long.

Dang, chill. It's just the first day.

These days, WVUE and WDSU are kicking tail, so between those two... my pick is FOX 8. Raycom hasn't screwed around with the operation too much, since the Benson family still has a sizeable stake in the ownership. If anything, the anchor shuffling that Raycom did has turned out to be a plus. Take WWL's loss of talent, changes so often to their identity and now g-unit beats, claps and chants.... it will be interesting to see what happens next over the next few rating periods.

He's right. I've been checking out WVUE more, too. It's like WWL is dumbing down.

One market I do wonder about is Corpus Christi, given KIII essentially was handed down WUSA's old set I am told and is using a vastly different cut of "This is Home" for its newscast. Anything on the horizon down there as far as changes?

Unless something has changed today, KIII isn't using anything different than what they had been using. I think they have always used cuts other than what other stations tended to use (from This is Home).

Dang, chill. It's just the first day.

Lol I'm chilled dude, unless I'm dealing with Mardek1995. :D anyhooo, they used that cheeky-ass clapping cue going into a shooting story, so far at the top of two newscasts today. They probably did it at 6pm and will repeat it at 10. That's 4 times. It's a common-sense mistake. In addition, the fast graphic transitions into the related-story live shots used the clapping as well.

Does someone NOT think.... gee this cue doesn't work with death, shootings and serious news? And WWL isn't the first TEGNA station to make the blunder. Another station went into the Parkland shooting intro at the top of their show using that silly cue. Ridiculous!

My point earlier is that they've had plenty of time to think about transitions, music cues and the emotional tone/balance of the newscasts.

He's right. I've been checking out WVUE more, too. It's like WWL is dumbing down.

Yes, quick enough to witness the trend down month to month. Sad! On the bright side, I think the morning show promo using the new music actually works pretty well. I'm hoping and thinking the new elements will fit the morning show better than anything else.

Lol I'm chilled dude, unless I'm dealing with Mardek1995. :D anyhooo, they used that cheeky-ass clapping cue going into a shooting story, so far at the top of two newscasts today. They probably did it at 6pm and will repeat it at 10. That's 4 times. It's a common-sense mistake. In addition, the fast graphic transitions into the related-story live shots used the clapping as well.

Does someone NOT think.... gee this cue doesn't work with death, shootings and serious news? And WWL isn't the first TEGNA station to make the blunder. Another station went into the Parkland shooting intro at the top of their show using that silly cue. Ridiculous!

My point earlier is that they've had plenty of time to think about transitions, music cues and the emotional tone/balance of the newscasts.

Hope WWL corrects it. KENS 5 in San Antonio did. A week ago, the NMSA added a few opens from KENS with C Clarity. From the NMSA's FB page: "...KENS began using the package (the first three opens are from the first day) and then quickly revised how the music and graphics would be used (the remaining opens)."

I think it goes like this.

Orange Bug: Morning/Midday

Blue Bug: Prime Time.

Red Graphics: Breaking News

There's the Purple Bug KXTV uses for the early evening shows (5/6pm), then they use the blue bug for the 11. WWL used the purple bug for the 10pm.

I really hate the way that edited 4 looks. It looks ugly and unproportional, especially when it’s by itself.

[ATTACH=full]5709[/ATTACH]

From a design standpoint, this logo is at least serviceable. It corrected the issues of the previous logo by adjusting the descender of the 4 to align with the WWL baseline. The font weight was adjusted completely on all ends so it'll be aesthetically consistent.

Though I'll agree, the 4 itself may need some work as it is completely wonky from one side. Yikes.

So, I want to like this on them, I really do. I think they do have a few kinks to iron out (same as KENS). But my biggest gripe - why push WUPL if you’re not gonna simulcast on most of the newscasts?

So, I want to like this on them, I really do. I think they do have a few kinks to iron out (same as KENS). But my biggest grip - why push WUPL if you’re not gonna simulcast on most of the newscasts?

That’s what’s baffling to me. 54 is used for mornings only, so unless they plan to do a First Coast News-style schedule, they should remove the WUPL logo from the bug and the open.

Everyone freaking out about how WWL made poor music choices, don't worry. Changes were made today. MUCH BETTER than yesterday.

Compared to Tuesday, agree that it's better. Hopefully NXT they will get rid of the "live shot" transition graphic with the clapping music when going into tragedies and other serious news. Maybe today they will get that right.

Archived