TEGNA's New Graphics?

IndoTVNewsFan

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dear God, them’s some bright colors for 5am. Snagged this from Charlotte Today on WCNC.

In other news, looks like the L3 also handle graphics as well. [ATTACH=full]5388[/ATTACH]

That's the kind of background the weather graphics need instead of featureless white.

Can't wait for their acquisition of KFMB to go through so they can get these. Their current look is stale and I hate how they took the CBS eye out of the current package. Their current music can go as well.

The question is, are they still being rolled out by affiliation (ABC has the Academy Awards coming up on March 4. CBS doesn’t have any more eyeball-grabbers left this season) or just randomly.

That's the kind of background the weather graphics need instead of featureless white.

Some stations are throwing photographic backgrounds on the seven-day

It's a bit late, but I actually decided to see how WXIA opted to implement the package. Since the Olympics are coming up (and I want to take video captures of NBC's presentation and keep them for myself,) I also decided to give Bandicam a spin and capture WXIA's intro.

For starters, the headlines shown in the intro are slightly pixelated (I don't think that was a problem with Bandicam), which just looks bad. It also doesn't seem as if the music is properly synced up with the segue from the headlines to the actual open. Kind of sloppy if you ask me. Other stations seem to have a better handle on this, so I think that's just WXIA screwing things up.

Speaking of the music, my overall opinion is unchanged - I like the overall melody but don't think those weird vocals have any place in the intro for a "serious" newscast.

I couldn't get the other bits and pieces on video, but I do like the music cut WXIA uses for the "Storm Trackers" intro. The "NXT" screen I could definitely live without.

The question is, are they still being rolled out by affiliation (ABC has the Academy Awards coming up on March 4. CBS doesn’t have any more eyeball-grabbers left this season) or just randomly.

All TEGNA stations will have the new graphics by the end of this month.

It's a bit late, but I actually decided to see how WXIA opted to implement the package. Since the Olympics are coming up (and I want to take video captures of NBC's presentation and keep them for myself,) I also decided to give Bandicam a spin and capture WXIA's intro.

For starters, the headlines shown in the intro are slightly pixelated (I don't think that was a problem with Bandicam), which just looks bad. It also doesn't seem as if the music is properly synced up with the segue from the headlines to the actual open. Kind of sloppy if you ask me. Other stations seem to have a better handle on this, so I think that's just WXIA screwing things up.

Speaking of the music, my overall opinion is unchanged - I like the overall melody but don't think those weird vocals have any place in the intro for a "serious" newscast.

I couldn't get the other bits and pieces on video, but I do like the music cut WXIA uses for the "Storm Trackers" intro. The "NXT" screen I could definitely live without.

And WXIA still has a voiceover. Is WBIR still using a voiceover and are they still mentioning they're in HD?

Been wondering how WXIA uses the new look. Thanks for the video. And, you don't HAVE to keep NBC's Olympics production elements to yourself. ;)

The more I see it, the more it grows on me. It's a lot more restrained than a lot of the other looks we've seen, and it seems like it's easier to shoehorn a boatload of station brands into this look than the previous one. The emphasis on scenic photography was a really great idea as well as also a great solution for customizing a look for the thousands of stations that Tegna owns.

I still think the color palette is off. The blue they chose is fine, but the purple and orange still feel way too bright and out of place at most stations. Considering how simple this look is, it would have been cool (and probably not require too much effort) had they offered a dozen or so color swatches for each station to pick and choose for a slightly more customized look.

A more interesting fullscreen/doublebox backdrop other than the random and subtle geometric shapes they have would have been cool too. I really liked the KXTV/WTSP look that had the scenic photography in the fullscreens, but I suppose that would pose for some more challenges in sharing content among the thousands and thousands of stations. Putting network logos in the fullscreens would have resulted in the same problem too, so I guess I can see why those turned out as plain as they did.

Proxima Nova was also a nice choice and a good departure from DIN.

It's still a lot fresher and more adaptable than the graphics-in-a-box look that all the other station groups have, aside from the O&O groups at least.

WTNZ FOX 43 in Knoxville is using the new TEGNA graphics. But the theme they are using is "Canvas" by Stephen Arnold Music.

That's because WTNZ is a Raycom station. WBIR produces their newscasts.

I'm sure 15 years ago, many people would have said "rectangular desks and sharp cornered news sets? that kind of design has no place in a serious newscast" "Electric guitar-heavy rythms? No place in a serious newscast". Don't be surprised if this kind of "European" music starts catching on and being developed for more stations/station groups.

Call me insane, but the more I've listened to the music the more I have fallen in love with it - even with the weird "scat" vocals. Kudos to Tegna for stepping outside the box and redefining what is used as a theme.

Archived