TEGNA's New Graphics?

IndoTVNewsFan

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gosh, I don't know. I guess it doesn't help that I'm not a fan of 9News to begin with (except for Next with Kyle Clark). The lower 3rds are more difficult for me to read without my glasses on. Black font on a white background does not work as well as the reverse for my eyes. And I have to spend too much time deciphering what the weather icons mean (not that they're difficult to understand, just different). The NXT graphic is just plain silly.

I'm not sure how much this advances news graphic design. The previous package was still working for me...

At least Next with Kyle Clark is not NXT with Kyle Clark now.

My observations (hey TEGNA focus group people who might read this board): I like it for the most part. I'm attention-deficient like most millennials, and so the BRIGHTNESS of the package does appeal to me. The randomness of the colors will irk my OCD, but it'll still grab my attention. If the music that's being used on KING is also what's to come, that's just OK. I mean, I get it's [I]supposed[/I] to be quirky and catch my attention (again, we're attention-deficit beings), but depending on the station (and it's background/profile) if you've got a hard-news, I-team station, I fail to see the seriousness in the music. Unless you're going all social-media. And we don't need all social-media news (Don't even think about it Facebook, I see you thinking about it). Otherwise, it's a decent package. Oh, and the TEG-machine will definitely change or drop that "NXT" tease after a few months. That part is literal garbage, and I think as @Myron Falwell said... Vince should sue and make them take it away. Fun Fact: this will be the first time since the the TEGsters acquired the London Broadcasting stations that EVERYONE should be on the same complete graphics package (I believe). Believe it or not, some of those London stations are still using "non-standard" elements from the departing package that were custom made for their systems, with some weather graphic production looking downright horrid (I'm looking at you KAGS) Which also begs to mention -- will Sacramento's KXTV and Tampa's KTSP (the only two stations with completely non-standard packages) keep their "custom" packages or will they force-migrated to the Troika look?

I think there are some cuts in the new SFX that give off a more "hard news" vibe. If you watch the KUSA montage @Charles posted earlier, the cut used in that cold open pack could work pretty well for more serious newscasts (if only they could ditch the odd vocals that, IMO, tarnish the entire underlying melody.) Otherwise, I agree that the KING cut would be better suited for morning/midday shows. I'm interested to see what WXIA does with this pack when they get it.

[quote name='skbl17']I think there are some cuts in the new SFX that give off a more "hard news" vibe. If you watch the KUSA montage @Charles posted earlier, the cut used in that cold open pack could work pretty well for more serious newscasts (if only they could ditch the odd vocals that, IMO, tarnish the entire underlying melody.) Otherwise, I agree that the KING cut would be better suited for morning/midday shows. I'm interested to see what WXIA does with this pack when they get it.[/QUOTE] It does sound like there are some non-vocal cuts. KUSA uses one for their opens. What is this new music? I LOVE IT. Does anyone know if there is any production music that sounds like it?

What is this new music? I LOVE IT.

The execution of KUSA's hard news tease and KING's soft morning intro, all synced with the beauty shots of their regions, kinda works.

Though, it might not duplicate well when Tegna decides to expand it to more stations.

How many stations have switched music? I just watched all of KUSA's 10pm. The new music is...interesting.

To the TEGNA committee that approved the new music package. You took the most beautiful approach to creating news music and created easily the most unrecognizable and bland package ever. It's basically cheap production music that you could have licensed for pennies on the dollar from Warner Chappell PM. This is singlely the most valueless sonic brand I've every heard, so congrats wasting money when nothing custom was required. While other stations around the countless other markets Tegna operates in have safe or iconic brands, you've managed to do least of any of them. This package will wither and die quickly because no care went into creating a sonic signature that Tegna can be proud of. I'll continue to watch other stations in Denver, because while 4's brand is a hodgepodge, 7's lacks any knowledge of Denver and 31/2 are even embryonic in development, you've created a lack of feeling that only station groups looking to be acquired hope to achieve.

You took the most beautiful approach to creating news music and created easily the most unrecognizable and bland package ever. It's basically cheap production music that you could have licensed for pennies on the dollar from Warner Chappell PM. This is singlely the most valueless sonic brand I've every heard, so congrats wasting money when nothing custom was required.

Well, it looks like we have a stark difference in opinion, haha!

Tell me where the signature is in this new package!

Erm, I could hear a 4 note in the intros and bumpers. Some are very prominent, some are very low key (like KUSA's intro/rejoin).

Maybe the clapping was getting in the way.

Erm, I could hear a 4 note in the intros and bumpers. Some are very prominent, some are very low key (like KUSA's intro/rejoin).

Maybe the clapping was getting in the way.

Well, as a musician and someone who is has a vast news music collection that I curate, I don't believe that there is a signature across anything. It's general production music.

I'll have to agree. If the whole point of the new music was to appeal to a younger audience... it probably might have worked. The execution of KUSA's hard news tease and KING's soft morning intro, all synced with the beauty shots of their regions, certainly made it wonderful delight.

Though, that 'delight' might not duplicate well when Tegna decides to expand it to more stations.

I wonder if this package is specifically for DMAs with majority being younger audiences.

Per FTVLive, looks like KVUE is the one getting a new logo...

The same logo KVUE started using in 2017 for their social media accounts.

FTVLive is also showing that KXTV will retire their 2016 graphics (meaning WTSP will probably do the same), and that all TEGNA stations (not counting KFMB, although FTVLive did not mention KFMB in the page) should get the new graphics in time for February sweeps.

And that might mean This Is Home might come back to WTSP.

unnamed.jpg?format=1000w

That KVUE logo fits the one that's popped up online, right?

Squinting at the bottom, looks like WWL keeps their 4.

Well, at least this answered my question on whether ABC10 in Sac is getting TEGNAtized...

Archived