TEGNA's New Graphics?

IndoTVNewsFan

Makes no sense to me.

that's the local television industry these days... makes sense to someone somewhere... the history book about local tv circa 2001-now will be full of people saying "it made sense at the time..."

pretty sure the graphics are "complete"... there's certainly some review and adjustments on the way before other stations roll it out (sizing of elements like the logo in the bug etc) but if you're expecting major changes... don't hold your breath...

hear there might be some logo changes coming on other stations too... people aren't gonna like at least one of 'em!!!

as for music... stations still have to pay to license music even if the whole group uses it... very possible the KING "music" is just a production track and they didn't want to pay for This Is Home any longer...

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*deposits two cents into a jar*

This is a package where I'd REALLY like to know what the designer's goals were. (In other words, Troika better get that case study page up and quick.)

I think I have to compare it to other looks, but not so much in the category of how they look. More in terms of what they're trying to do. So, let's compare it to, say, the old Tegna/Gannett look.

In the old look, there was a clear purpose to everything. Everything was aligned to a grid. You could see it very clearly in full screen graphics, for example - the margins got to a certain point and never went beyond that. Color was used very sparingly, but very wisely. Stories were color coded, and you could tell what type of story it was by the colored line around it. The lower third was permanent, but designed to provide maximum information: headline, color-coded rundown, and of course station bug and time/temp. Now, there were problems with the old look. The design could be a little too "vanilla" at times, the lower third was essentially a gigantic black bar, and the look fell apart when they started making random changes to it.

But where there was order in the old look, in this one there's... absolute chaos. The graphics are sleeker and far more colorful. There's no more black bar. Those are good things. But they also threw out the baby with the bathwater here - where the color was deliberate in the old look, it's thrown around with reckless abandon here. There's no rhyme or reason to the color design in many cases. Okay, red is for breaking news and that's fine, but there are yellows, blues, oranges, and purples thrown around with disregard to pretty much anything. The elegant rundown line has become a stack of upcoming stories that pops up from time to time. It's random.

That's the word for it. Random.

There are at least two versions of the "Coming Up" graphics. At least two separate Weather stings. A s***load of animations and transitions for the smallest, most insignificant thing. Nothing meshes, nothing flows. It's just endless animations and stings made with the assumption that the viewers are ADHD-addled. (Joel Cheatwood consults for the group, right? Because this smells like him.)

Some of the other group packages suffer from the same problem. Look N at NBC, for example, has transitionitis as well. It also has graphics that pop up randomly and really add nothing to the look. But there's more of a focus there. Look N has a defined color scheme and appearance that Troika's work doesn't really have. And there's at least some THOUGHT to what they were trying to do. They were trying to provide as much information as they could. It doesn't work. But it feels like they were going for something other than "ooo pretty".

Granted, there are strong parts. I like the photography. I LOVE the weather gfx because they're the only part of the package that seemed to get much thought. But I think this is a miss on many levels. Troika's kind of been stumbling lately. Their Starz look was a huge step down from what they were using before (and junking the separate Encore look, while obviously done at Starz's request for cost savings, was tragic), for example.

Anyway, yeah. Those're my thoughts.

Introducing '
G180
', a successor of the previous G3 graphics, and a complete 180 from the previous G3 graphics. It's the technological genius you'll find only on TEGNA.

Jokes aside, whoever designed this (Troika and/or in-house) had a nice vision to emulate the success from its predecessor... but yikes - this execution is way off.

Colours that were once systematically programmed are now arbitrarily chosen. Animations that were once clear cut no longer captures any relevancy to its design. A working visual hierarchy that was established was thrown out the window.

The point is: almost every stylistic measure chosen in this new package is in absolute disarray and holds little to no connectivity to each other besides the basic notion that could be simply described as "it's flat".

The package wasn't all that bad though. The photography driven intro was nice and the gradients were at best "okay". I'll give 'em the +1 for that.

Just watched a little bit of a KING live stream. They must be competing with WGNO for the "Worst News Music in America" trophy.

That "NXT" graphic missing an E is killing me.

If you look at the KGW video uploaded by Portland TV, it's probably a TEGNA thing.

I also think the WX graphics are half-baked. (Check out 6:17 in the video). The concept is interesting but there is too much text. People need to be able to easily glance at the TV to understand what's on the screen since it won't be there forever, whereas on a phone, a person can control how long they see something.

The amount of text is fine but the condition icons are unforgivable. I seriously wonder if they focus grouped those in a weathercast or just as stills, because the biggest question is always "is it going to rain?" and you can't tell with these unless you stop moving your eyes and watch the animation. The still frame on WBIR's web site this morning doesn't even have any visible indication of rain except for the gap in the bottom of the cloud where it's supposed to go.

2061272119_7-DayForecast.jpg.c3b7e86fdbb27ad511baea37e85d8086.jpg

Checked out some of KING's live coverage. I just can't even. Bright sky blue and yellows used with a slim red "BREAKING NEWS" banner at the top. I'm not saying go full-ass red mode, but still.

I have to believe the reason KING’s in Breaking mode right now—and the fact NBC took them full for a Special Report with the affiliate looking a bit unprepared—will compel the Tank to roll out some alternate colors for the banners once this ramps up.

Checked out some of KING's live coverage. I just can't even. Bright sky blue and yellows used with a slim red "BREAKING NEWS" banner at the top. I'm not saying go full-ass red mode, but still.

I went to their website to watch. Weird things with that video player. It only works when I'm in private browsing, and it has this stupid feature of completely stopping the stream when you click to a different tab or even scroll too far down the page, so you can't just listen to coverage in the background, you have to physically sit there and watch it.

I went to their website to watch. Weird things with that video player. It only works when I'm in private browsing, and it has this stupid feature of completely stopping the stream when you click to a different tab or even scroll too far down the page, so you can't just listen to coverage in the background, you have to physically sit there and watch it.

They also went all out to make sure that you can't use their video player if you have any sort of ad blocker

hear there might be some logo changes coming on other stations too... people aren't gonna like at least one of 'em!!!

Last time you gave something cryptic, we got WEWS' "LottoBall 5". With Tegna revamping a logo, its probably a station that has had its logo since the 90s. So, either WKYC (God, I hope not!), WXIA (as if they need more reason to be dead last!), or even KARE (WHY?!?!?!!!)

They also went all out to make sure that you can't use their video player if you have any sort of ad blocker

Ohhhh so that's why it would only work in private browsing. Well that's stupid. Protip: you can get around it by using private browsing.

Last time you gave something cryptic, we got WEWS' "LottoBall 5". With Tegna revamping a logo, its probably a station that has had its logo since the 90s. So, either WKYC (God, I hope not!), WXIA (as if they need more reason to be dead last!), or even KARE (WHY?!?!?!!!)

It most likely is KARE. We have the Olympics AND the Super Bowl coming up. I think they’re logo is unique. A KTLA alike logo with the same font and NBC Mix would be AWESOME!

It appears they haven’t figured out how to code location information in a two box. I saw this on KGW and now KING.

[ATTACH=full]4906[/ATTACH]

King has had many issues with this change over and sometimes the old graphics slip in. It appears they needed more time to get ready then they have.

WWL is currently phasing in the new graphics. It's mainly the old USA Today graphics for now.

King has had many issues with this change over and sometimes the old graphics slip in. It appears they needed more time to get ready then they have.

So far, KING has the worst execution of Troika's first local TV graphics package.

Now that TEGNA is rolling out new graphics, alongside the new update to the current Sincrap graphics and new NBC O&O and CBS O&O packages rolled out last year, as well as a new Fox O&O music package, maybe it will be your turn to get new graphics and new/updated music, Scripps and Hearst.

I predict WCSH, KTVB, and KUSA could be NXT (pun intended), with KREM and WUSA to be the first stations in their CBS pact to get the new graphics. For their ABC pact, I predict it could be WFAA.

The amount of text is fine but the condition icons are unforgivable. I seriously wonder if they focus grouped those in a weathercast or just as stills, because the biggest question is always "is it going to rain?" and you can't tell with these unless you stop moving your eyes and watch the animation. The still frame on WBIR's web site this morning doesn't even have any visible indication of rain except for the gap in the bottom of the cloud where it's supposed to go.

And, if you look very closely, a teeny tiny dot at the bottom of the cloud.

Okay, this look is growing on me so quickly. Just a few days ago, I was "eh", now I'm salivating. I can't get enough of it! It is SO much better than what they had before! I love the colors and how they made the graphics modern/sleek without going overboard. And the music. OH. MY. GOD. THE MUSIC. I couldn't upload the video, but KARE is using the same package as KING, but just different cuts. Never thought I'd like vocals in a news theme, but Tegna made it work. Best new news music I've heard in a long time. 10/10 on everything. Flawless.

KARE launched the new look at 11:00 AM.

If KARE launched the new look and didn't get a new logo, I don't have high hopes for WXIA if this is true. Though they need a new logo desperately, I can't imagine any new logo WXIA would get would be good based on some of the stuff Tegna has churned out.

Speculation at this point of course.

Archived