Why is Charlie Van Dyke being dropped by stations?

newsn8te

I've noticed here recently on YouTube and the NMSA that several stations have been replacing Charlie Van Dyke with a different voice over. Long term clienets like WBRC, WIVB plus KLAS who just started using him not too long ago, are a few that come to mind. Any reason why so many are dropping him all of a sudden?

He is beginning to get up in age, which might have something to do with it. He might not be able to keep up with the demand.

His voice is sounds raspier now. Check out his latest promo work for WAVY...

Yeah, it's gotten pretty noticeable. CVD is a legend, but I think it might be time for him to hang up the mic. I hope he's okay health-wise.

VHS2004 said:
Am I the only one who actually likes the 2017 WABC look?

It has potential. Unfortunately, like most of the station's previous looks, it lacks restraint and polish. Text proportion is also a serious flaw. I'm about the only one around here that likes the opens, though.

• 1 month later...
WAVY is no longer using CVD.

[MEDIA=twitter]948349098993864704[/MEDIA]

Not sure who the new guy is. It sure caught Don Slater off guard:

That’s Erik Thompson, I believe. He did VO work for WAVY’s sister LIN stations, like WISH, WPRI, and KXAN.

I'm just glad they didn't use who I always assume they would, since he's done a lot for them in the past - John Beach. Nothing against him, I just don't think his voice would work at all in this context.

Though, then again, it's hard to think of anyone but CVD with WAVY...

I'm just glad they didn't use who I always assume they would, since he's done a lot for them in the past - John Beach. Nothing against him, I just don't think his voice would work at all in this context.

Though, then again, it's hard to think of anyone but CVD with WAVY...

Not hearing Charlie Van Dyke on the voiceover threw me off as well when I watched the afternoon newscasts today, and it's going to take a lot of getting used to someone else as the main voiceover on WAVY promos for the first time since I was a baby.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
21 hours ago, C Block said:

On a related note, a lot of recent KTVU promos have been using Jim Cutler instead of Scott Chapin.

A lot of us may remember that Chapin retired, and then un-retired. I wouldn't say he's on the same sort of decline as CVD right now, but he definitely has good and not-so-good days in his recent spots.

Archived