Fox News test pattern

ColDayNews

Just thought this would be a cool find:

WXIX had some trouble switching from the network back to local programming, and I was able to capture this:

upload_2017-11-15_16-16-43.thumb.png.63fece7e73d19ab4b56b2c82b29a556d.png

A pre-FNC test pattern for Fox SRs. I always thought SRs originated out of FNC and were sent to affiliates and O&Os via NewsEdge out of NY. Interesting find, either way. I must say, I like the use of the “Its on Fox!” era logo.

NewsEdge is probably on a different satellite/system from the Splicer. In order for Fox to change the “channel” and take over the stations output (as they do during a Level 1) it would need to be sent via the traditional means.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
During SRs, do fox affiliates have to switch to the newsedge feed themselves or does network control do it for them?

For a Level 2 special report, master control at the station level would need to switch to the feed themselves. That is, if they choose to carry the SR. This is for not-so-serious circumstances such as a high profile trial verdict, non-primetime presidential news conference, Supreme Court confirmation hearings, etc.

For a level 1, network can “force” themselves onto that station’s air, regardless of what said station is airing for programming. This is only used for the most serious and/or historic circumstances, think major terrorist attack, war, national disaster, death of a President, etc.

For a Level 2 special report, master control at the station level would need to switch to the feed themselves. That is, if they choose to carry the SR. This is for not-so-serious circumstances such as a high profile trial verdict, non-primetime presidential news conference, Supreme Court confirmation hearings, etc.

For a level 1, network can “force” themselves onto that station’s air, regardless of what said station is airing for programming. This is only used for the most serious and/or historic circumstances, think major terrorist attack, war, national disaster, death of a President, etc.

so what does it mean when my Fox affiliate does it locally without SR? (non Fox O&O of course).

so what does it mean when my Fox affiliate does it locally without SR? (non Fox O&O of course).

They could have taken a feed from one of the wire services such as CNN, Network News Service, Fox NewsEdge, or a pool feed. Depends largely on the event and on the station.

They could have taken a feed from one of the wire services such as CNN, Network News Service, Fox NewsEdge, or a pool feed. Depends largely on the event and on the station.

Oh. that explains why KTXL was showing a blurry picture one time during a SR.

Oh. that explains why KTXL was showing a blurry picture one time during a SR.

Fox and their whole Splicer system isn’t conducive to easily adding non network elements to the program feed. By that I mean some affiliates resort to using a SD output of the Splicer if they have to run a crawl or something else. I was going through some screen captures the other day from the 2016 election and the Fox News election coverage was SD at best on WBFF.

0086C807-1E57-4D2B-BB0D-DD096FFCDDF9.thumb.jpeg.1d35c8c4a7689461f4ef3554671f8725.jpeg

Fox and their whole Splicer system isn’t conducive to easily adding non network elements to the program feed. By that I mean some affiliates resort to using a SD output of the Splicer if they have to run a crawl or something else. I was going through some screen captures the other day from the 2016 election and the Fox News election coverage was SD at best on WBFF.

[ATTACH=full]4896[/ATTACH]

yea KTXL Covered that in HD.

I would so love to hack that system. The Idea of "forcing" myself on the stations air sounds kinda sexy.

Are you out there Captain Midnight?

Archived