Another new ESPN graphics package for College Basketball

Spring Rubber

I mentioned this on the ESPN thread earlier when SEC Network was testing them on a pre-season game. That scoreboard is an absolute mess; it's like an unholy mashup of the NCAA March Madness look with ideas from the NBA package and other elements.

But it gets worse if you're on ESPN3 and have no ticker. Who thought this was a good idea?

[MEDIA=twitter]929088652298391552[/MEDIA]

Why couldn't they just take the NBA scoreboard and re-skin it with the fonts/aesthetic of everything else? Besides the lack of possession indicator or foul count, it was practically perfect.

I mentioned this on the ESPN thread earlier when SEC Network was testing them on a pre-season game. That scoreboard is an absolute mess; it's like an unholy mashup of the NCAA March Madness look with ideas from the NBA package and other elements.

But it gets worse if you're on ESPN3 and have no ticker. Who thought this was a good idea?

[MEDIA=twitter]929088652298391552[/MEDIA]

Why couldn't they just take the NBA scoreboard and re-skin it with the fonts/aesthetic of everything else? Besides the lack of possession indicator or foul count, it was practically perfect.

Holy cow, THAT'S what it looks like when the BottomLine is off the screen? That is atrocious.

They got rid of the "frame" behind the scoreboard, and added win-loss records under a line (I would have preferred putting timeouts down there instead like the NBA scoreboard but meh).

Also, apparently a lot of Kentucky fans were up in arms about the abbreviation they gave them on the game against Kansas...

[MEDIA=twitter]930826248195993600[/MEDIA]

It's worth noting that SEC Network actually used "UK" just a week ago

[MEDIA=twitter]929236653201346560[/MEDIA]

They got rid of the "frame" behind the scoreboard, and added win-loss records under a line (I would have preferred putting timeouts down there instead like the NBA scoreboard but meh).

Also, apparently a lot of Kentucky fans were up in arms about the abbreviation they gave them on the game against Kansas...

[MEDIA=twitter]930826248195993600[/MEDIA]

It's worth noting that SEC Network actually used "UK" just a week ago

[MEDIA=twitter]929236653201346560[/MEDIA]

I was watching that game against Kansas and I thought that was Kent State University.

And then on SportsCenter they abbreviated with the standard UK and KU for the teams. Either spelled it out completely like the March Madness graphics, or settle for the accepted abbreviations. Not a complicated concept.

Did they completely eliminate displaying timeouts with the updated layout?

Those are the dots on the left or right side. Especially after the "Kent" mess Tuesday night, I loathe this scoreboard. It reminds me of what someone at a public access station would hack together, and their ADHD son throwing in 'feedback' like check paper-like swirls and that awful 'they scored' effect (just roll the number).

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, even Sinclair is doing better...

[MEDIA=twitter]934570909112918016[/MEDIA]

(and apparently this game was quite messy. Alabama had to play around 10 minutes of 3 on 5 basketball due to a bench ejection, foul out, and injury happening in succession. Then they lost 99-94)

[MEDIA=twitter]934321334477139968[/MEDIA]

Florida and Gonzaga found a way to make the new scoreboard go tilt; go to a second overtime, and you lose the shot clock.

Problem, college ball's shot clock is 30 seconds, the shot clock is off.

We're getting there. The stupid banner without the BottomLine is gone, full team names are back, the team names are justified differently for each side, the timeout dots were moved next to the score, and the fouls/possession indicator have been moved to a strip below the team name/record.

It looks a little better.

[MEDIA=twitter]936489079981690880[/MEDIA]

We're getting there. The stupid banner without the BottomLine is gone, full team names are back, the team names are justified differently for each side, the timeout dots were moved next to the score, and the fouls/possession indicator have been moved to a strip below the team name/record.

It looks a little better.

[MEDIA=twitter]936489079981690880[/MEDIA]

Still not nearly as good as the previous graphics.

I wonder why ESPN just didn't use the same scoreboard layout they use for college football; by removing the down counter, you'd have enough room to stretch the team boxes to fit in the foul count, plus you already have possession arrows and timeouts.

I wonder why ESPN just didn't use the same scoreboard layout they use for college football; by removing the down counter, you'd have enough room to stretch the team boxes to fit in the foul count, plus you already have possession arrows and timeouts.

Looks like that graphics package is on the way out. I'd expect them to have new college football graphics either for the CFB Playoff this season or for the start of next season. They'll probably just re-use the special gold version of the existing graphics for this season, though.

Looks like that graphics package is on the way out. I'd expect them to have new college football graphics either for the CFB Playoff this season or for the start of next season. They'll probably just re-use the special gold version of the existing graphics for this season, though.

Wonder if ESPN will transition to something else for MLB next season.

(And if the New Fox Sports will last the 2018 season if ESPN buys the regionals)...

Wonder if ESPN will transition to something else for MLB next season.

(And if the New Fox Sports will last the 2018 season if ESPN buys the regionals)...

Any transfer of the RSN's is going to talk a long time. I wouldn't be stunned if the transition (if it even happens) wasn't fully settled til 2020.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

March Madness is coming up, and the world feed for the Final Four (which TSN takes despite using the Turner/CBS feeds elsewhere) uses ESPN graphics. At least the new scoreboard is a bit more tolerable now than it was week 1.

The "white package" might not be going away any time soon; WPHL/WPVI's new Philadelphia Union deal is actually using them (like the MLS broadcasts on ESPN proper, and someone said that the CFP Edition football graphics will be used on Saturday Night Football next season, but they didn't say anything about other games (though the studio programs have been using a variant as of this past season).

One begins to wonder if MLB and MLS will suddenly start using their own dedicated graphics, if this seems to be what ESPN is doing instead of a one-size-fits-all approach.

March Madness is coming up, and the world feed (which TSN takes despite using the Turner/CBS feeds elsewhere) uses ESPN graphics. At least the new scoreboard is a bit more tolerable now than it was week 1.

Also, I don't think the "white package" is going away any time soon; WPHL/WPVI's new Philadelphia Union deal is actually using them (like the MLS broadcasts on ESPN proper), and someone said that the CFP Edition football graphics will be used on Saturday Night Football next season, but they didn't say anything about other games (though the studio programs have been using a variant as of this past season).

One begins to wonder if WLS will switch to the white graphics for Cubs games this season.

WLS could desperately use the white graphics. Those janky modified ESPN 2009 graphics look horrible.

WLS could desperately use the white graphics. Those janky modified ESPN 2009 graphics look horrible.

It would be better if they had at least used the proper scoreboard, not the clearly in-house piece of work.

Archived