ESPN to lay off another 100+ staffers after Thanksgiving

newsbot

Not surprised that most of the cutbacks are going to be with SportsCenter. They expanded that franchise WAY too much in 2010 (to the point where it was live like 18 hours a day). Sadly, this is the hard burst of an inflated bubble.

I feel bad for all those who are going to lose their jobs right around the holidays. :(

Not surprised that most of the cutbacks are going to be with SportsCenter. They expanded that franchise WAY too much in 2010 (to the point where it was live like 18 hours a day). Sadly, this is the hard burst of an inflated bubble.

Reminds me of how TechTV tried to do the same with TechLive in the early 2000's. 9/11 killed it and sent a lot of people out of work (though most of them did land elsewhere in the industry thankfully). ESPN was dumb to kill ESPNews in 2012 the way they did by doubling down on SC, and should have turned it into a streamlined service rather than the sports talk repeat mill and '3-7 college football games' source it is now.

I wonder if NBC Sports will be hiring (with the Olympics coming up)?

They pretty much have their plans in the bag for assignments at this point, and they're pretty set on not bothering with a highlights show on-air.

If Stadium hires any of these former employees, that will help that channel big time.

Stadium is what 120 Sports used to be and is partly owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group. Its on some OTA stations like KOKH 25.3, WXLV 45.2, WSET 13.2, etc.

Reminds me of how TechTV tried to do the same with TechLive in the early 2000's. 9/11 killed it and sent a lot of people out of work (though most of them did land elsewhere in the industry thankfully). ESPN was dumb to kill ESPNews in 2012 the way they did by doubling down on SC, and should have turned it into a streamlined service rather than the sports talk repeat mill and '3-7 college football games' source it is now.

They pretty much have their plans in the bag for assignments at this point, and they're pretty set on not bothering with a highlights show on-air.

I like the TechLive analogy. Did TechLive end abruptly with 9/11, or did they try to continue it for a short time after 9/11?

I think not only ESPN is experiencing a huge bubble burst by overexpanding SportsCenter and basically tuning ESPNEWS into ESPN3 but also ESPN sticking it's nose into politics has hurt ESPN too.

I miss the SportsCenter where it was nothing but highlights, news and analysis and nothing else and now if I want highlights I go to Stadium

I think not only ESPN is experiencing a huge bubble burst by overexpanding SportsCenter and basically tuning ESPNEWS into ESPN3 but also ESPN sticking it's nose into politics has hurt ESPN too.

I miss the SportsCenter where it was nothing but highlights, news and analysis and nothing else and now if I want highlights I go to Stadium

I have not caught SC@6, but I can't bare watching SC@Night w/ SVP. I don't care for his dry humor. I don't care for his boring personality. The theme music makes me feel like I'm in car or club with super loud music with especially high bass.

I have not caught SC@6, but I can't bare watching SC@Night w/ SVP. I don't care for his dry humor. I don't care for his boring personality. The theme music makes me feel like I'm in car or club with super loud music with especially high bass.

I don't care for Michael and Jemele never had, never will, as far as Scott Van Pelt is concerned (and this is where we disagree on) I actually enjoy the SVP version of SportsCenter more so than I do any other edition of SportsCenter however, I don't get very many chances to watch his show because I had to be in bed by 10pm Central and be up by 6am Central the next morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Another big news related to this.

Except during the NFL Season on Sundays, SportsCenter will now no longer air on ESPNews every night from 7:00-11:00 p.m. ET

https://www.espnfrontrow.com/2017/11/evolving-sportscenter/

For example, Monday on ESPNews from 7:00-11:00 p.m. ET:

7:00 pm - Around The Horn

7:30 pm - Pardon The Interruption

8:00 pm - Outside The Lines

8:30 pm - SportsNation

9:30 pm - Highly Questionable

10:00 pm - Around The Horn

10:30 pm - Pardon The Interruption

So this is sorta what the schedule would be like from now on starting tonight even though times will vary.

Archived