KABC Doppler 7000 pic?

Eat News

LA's NEXRAD locations are up near Ventura and in Orange County, IIRC. The pic is definitely KABC's radar.

OK...

So does anyone know if it's actually still operational?

They sure don't seem to make a giant deal about having if it's still working.

You would think since KNBC is making such a big deal.......

OK...

So does anyone know if it's actually still operational?

They sure don't seem to make a giant deal about having if it's still working.

You would think since KNBC is making such a big deal.......

I will add I had trouble finding a license for it or any ABC radar aside from WLS.

I will add I had trouble finding a license for it or any ABC radar aside from WLS.

Might be time for a fly-by on google earth to see if it's still there. Thanks for finding the video RKO...and thanks caliwxdude for the info also.

But how the hell did they sneak that up without drawing the ire of the Sierra Club and half a million other touchy-feely groups?

ABC has got to own a chunk of that mountain top.

Might be time for a fly-by on google earth to see if it's still there. Thanks for finding the video RKO...and thanks caliwxdude for the info also.

But how the hell did they sneak that up without drawing the ire of the Sierra Club and half a million other touchy-feely groups?

ABC has got to own a chunk of that mountain top.

The odd thing is that the FCC even has cancelled licenses up. I tried searching owners such as Disney, ABC, KABC.

What county would it be in?

Okay I found the license. I guess when I was searching ABC Holding Company didn’t stick out and the fact that there was an expired license registration next to it screwed me up.

Here’s the official address:

12801 Tampa Avenue

Chatsworth, CA LOS ANGELES County

Okay I found the license. I guess when I was searching ABC Holding Company didn’t stick out and the fact that there was an expired license registration next to it screwed me up.

Here’s the official address:

12801 Tampa Avenue

Chatsworth, CA LOS ANGELES County

Ok

Mystery solved.

Thanks RKO.

The business associated with the address is The Gas Company aka SoCal gas.

Interesting...

Because San Diego Gas and Electric has it's own met/wx dept....a pretty big one in fact. I guess it would be safe to assume Socal gas has it's own wx dept also.

Radar sharing perhaps?

Interesting...

Because San Diego Gas and Electric has it's own met/wx dept....a pretty big one in fact. I guess it would be safe to assume Socal gas has it's own wx dept also.

Radar sharing perhaps?

Don’t know so. The control point is at the KABC studios. SoCal Gas would only be getting what KABC gives them.

What I wonder is how the radar is linked back to the studios. I read somewhere that the NWS radars produce over 1Gbps of data but it’s whittled down to a 50Mbps link. Is it sent via microwave, dedicated fiber or conventional internet?

Don’t know so. The control point is at the KABC studios. SoCal Gas would only be getting what KABC gives them.

What I wonder is how the radar is linked back to the studios. I read somewhere that the NWS radars produce over 1Gbps of data but it’s whittled down to a 50Mbps link. Is it sent via microwave, dedicated fiber or conventional internet?

There are a few fixed microwave dishes attached to the structure base. There is ENG rx stuff up and everything else that goes with it.

In 2006 it probably needed a full rack for the electronics on both ends (radar/tv sta.) ...on both ends with dedicated lines.

Now I bet they run it off a smart phone.

There are a few fixed microwave dishes attached to the structure base. There is ENG rx stuff up and everything else that goes with it.

In 2006 it probably needed a full rack for the electronics on both ends (radar/tv sta.) ...on both ends with dedicated lines.

Now I bet they run it off a smart phone.

Maybe the ENG points are backhauled by Fiber? I don’t doubt it could be sent back by smart phone. A bonded cellular connection like a LiveU unit can offer a 100Mbps internet connection. That could probably get more throughput than standard satellite internet (that I assume is used by the storm buggies or most ENG systems) unless NBC is using some of their transponders for Internet.

Maybe the ENG points are backhauled by Fiber? I don’t doubt it could be sent back by smart phone. A bonded cellular connection like a LiveU unit can offer a 100Mbps internet connection. That could probably get more throughput than standard satellite internet (that I assume is used by the storm buggies or most ENG systems) unless NBC is using some of their transponders for Internet.

I'm gonna have to punt this off to the WX geeks because it's way beyond my pay grade.

Too many messages to quote, but here goes my semi-educated take on this...

NWS sites rely on a fixed data link, usually fiber...but since these are often in remote areas, the speed is pretty dismal. I've read one account claiming NEXRAD sites stuff their data into a 256kbps pipe to get it back to the local forecast office for analysis. Most of the computer processing is done on-site at the radar and then sent back for display on regular PCs. TV stations with their own radar systems could be using a fixed microwave link, since most of those are located at either ENG receive or transmitter sites. KPIX's Doppler radar is located on Mount Vaca between Fairfield and Vacaville (actually in the Sacramento DMA), and as you can see the support tower has both a fixed microwave dish pointed toward Sutro Tower and a steerable ENG receive antenna.

It's been about ten years since I've set foot inside a TV station's utility/engineering room (where ENG shots are tuned in), but in those days all live shots that used a tower were backhauled by a fixed microwave link from the receive site. I feel like that's gone by the wayside though, with stations favoring live shots over IP either via bonded cellular (LiveU/Dejero) or Ka/Ku satellite IP. ViaSat is a rapidly-growing player in this space, since they own/build the satellites and are building the uplink hardware, hence their bandwidth is unmatched.

Archived