Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Disney or Comcast should acquire Fox. It would give either of them a disproportionate share of the film and television distribution (on account of the two companies owning two of the major film and TV studios) and cable television markets; I'd prefer the assets Murdoch is selling remaining under the Murdoch's control or being acquired by an independent buyer(s) who could bankroll such an acquisition.

The latter would make the most sense, it's just a matter who would be willing to fork over the mid-eleven figures in such a scenario to acquire 20th Century Fox, the Fox Sports Networks, National Geographic Channels and FX Networks as a package, and if so whether it would require multiple investor groups to fund it.

I think what the Murdoch's needs to do is go piecemeal with the assets their selling (have Comcast acquire some of it, have Disney acquire some of it and have AT&T acquire the remaining assets that don't go to Disney or Comcast)

I think what the Murdoch's needs to do is go piecemeal with the assets their selling (have Comcast acquire some of it, have Disney acquire some of it and have AT&T acquire the remaining assets that don't go to Disney or Comcast)

If ATT/Time Warner doesn't go through, that could very well be what happens -- Disney gets the rest of the Marvel crew, Comcast / ATT split the RSNs and cable channels.

If ATT/Time Warner doesn't go through, that could very well be what happens -- Disney gets the rest of the Marvel crew, Comcast / ATT split the RSNs and cable channels.

And even if AT&T-Time Warner does go through I think certain Fox assets (namely the RSNs) is going to have to go piecemeal because I just can't see the Justice Department allowing Disney or Comcast to acquire all 22 FSNs and yet keep their existing sports network properties.

• 3 weeks later...

That would be a very smart move.

But beside the Yankees...I wonder how many other teams would be able to afford to do that?

That would be a very smart move.

But beside the Yankees...I wonder how many other teams would be able to afford to do that?

The Cubs are all but guaranteed to be launching their own network in 2020, so this is definitely something they might be keeping an eye on.

I suppose it's not too late for Graham to purchase Fox Sports Detroit so that they could again own a sports network instead of allowing it to be sold to Disney or Comcast...

I would not be surprised if the Murdoch's are concerned about the antitrust issues raised about Disney and Comcast acquiring all 22 Fox Regional Networks and with a report that both companies are looking to sell the RSNs to appease regulators I could see Fox deciding to not include the RSNs in a deal with Disney and instead split the RSNs between AT&T, Comcast and teams with stakes in the RSNs

I would not be surprised if the Murdoch's are concerned about the antitrust issues raised about Disney and Comcast acquiring all 22 Fox Regional Networks and with a report that both companies are looking to sell the RSNs to appease regulators I could see Fox deciding to not include the RSNs in a deal with Disney and instead split the RSNs between AT&T, Comcast and teams with stakes in the RSNs

Given that New FOX is supposed to be all about live events and sports, I dunno why they're not just keeping the RSNs, riding out the contracts, and then selling the networks to teams that want to start their own for a nice profit.

So a question that I have about the Comcrap bid to get Fox ...

If it succeeds, and that’s a big if ... what does it mean for NBC and the Olympics? Will FOX get into part if it as well?

— Matt

If you mean the Fox network, then that network is becoming part of the New Fox spinoff company. NBC would remain "America's Olympic Network," though.

So a question that I have about the Comcrap bid to get Fox ...

If it succeeds, and that’s a big if ... what does it mean for NBC and the Olympics? Will FOX get into part if it as well?

— Matt

Fox Broadcasting and Fox Sports would be part of New Fox. Comcast is going after the production companies, entertainment cable networks, and RSNs.

I’m sure NBC would keep the Olympics on the channels they were on originally.

Given that New FOX is supposed to be all about live events and sports, I dunno why they're not just keeping the RSNs, riding out the contracts, and then selling the networks to teams that want to start their own for a nice profit.

And some of the contracts with teams in the MLB/NBA/NHL run well into the 2020s and some into the beginning of the 2030s, if the Murdoch's are smart they will slowly but gradually pulling out of the RSN business without selling off everything all at once.

But I don't think the Murdoch's are willing to do that

Well I meant if FX went from Fox to NBCU they could theoretically use it for Olympics coverage if they saw fit.

I guarantee you, whoever buys FX and FXX will be renaming those networks (and potentially looking at refocusing its programming away from FOX), which is a shame because FX is one of the better-run general entertainment networks, and FXX is a good complimentary secondary channel for it (and The Simpsons reruns).

I guarantee you, whoever buys FX and FXX will be renaming those networks (and potentially looking at refocusing its programming away from FOX), which is a shame because FX is one of the better-run general entertainment networks, and FXX is a good complimentary secondary channel for it (and The Simpsons reruns).

I'd go a step further: I never understood the creation of FXX in the first place other than to placate the eventual Simpsons acquisition.

The FX network and brand would be way stronger if everything got consolidated back onto the main network. I think if that happens, there's no need to refocus. FX can totally survive without being de-FOXified.

Two things though;

FX can easily be muddled to de-emphasize the connection to Fox with a simple logo change and that's it (FXX at most becomes FX2). FX has major brand equity built up over 25 years and Disney or Comcast isn't going to change that. And though FXX has the 'it's on Netflix/Hulu' problem with most of its reruns that killed Esquire Network, it'll probably stay; five years of effort to rebrand it (and moving it into double-digit basic cable tiers) would be a major waste with a sudden closedown. A rebrand to FX2 is more likely than anything. FXM truly could go though, since you can re-license those films to a new network easily, or it could be converted like Disney did overseas to CInemagic where the Fox and DIsney live-action libraries could co-exist easily on one network (and Disney would most likely kill the commercials on that channel).

I suppose it's not too late for Graham to purchase Fox Sports Detroit so that they could again own a sports network instead of allowing it to be sold to Disney or Comcast...

And call it Pass Sports The Source For Michigan Sports I remember Pass having The Tigers, Redwings & Pistons.

Wouldnt the FX channel and The Simpsons still be tied to the hip either through Disney and Comcast after the sale? The only tie through new FOX will be the first run on the network ....

Disney or Comcast could pull the show from Fox and move all first run episodes to FX.

Archived