Fox in talks to sell to Disney

The Frog

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or, and hear me out, New Fox can keep the parts of 20CF that make Fox network shows and syndication and sell the rest (FX[X], movies) over to Disney (or Comcast). It’s a win-win. Disney gets another movie studio, and Fox won’t have to rely on SmackDown and Thursday Night Football to carry the network.

Or, and hear me out, New Fox can keep the parts of 20CF that make Fox network shows and syndication and sell the rest (FX[X], movies) over to Disney (or Comcast). It’s a win-win. Disney gets another movie studio, and Fox won’t have to rely on SmackDown and Thursday Night Football to carry the network.

Theoretically, it is possible.

I hope Time Warner (and possibly soon to be AT&T) jumps into this bidding war somehow. What I can definitely see as a possibility is the Animation Domination block (or what’s left of it) getting moved to TBS or Adult Swim.

Let’s face it, FOX hasn’t produced a new cartoon for Sunday nights since the flops of The Cleveland Show, Borderland, and Alan Gregory. With this, shows that are long in the tooth will get cancelled (The Simpsons most likely will end their run after Season 30), Family Guy and Bob’s Burgers will move to TBS for first-run alongside American Dad! and have a second-run on Adult Swim. Family Guy likely has one more good season left before TBS could pull the plug, while Bob’s Burgers has at least a few more seasons. With more emphasis on sports and news programming, it’s highly unlikely the animated shows will survive.

I think FOX can still pull off an all-animated Sunday night lineup. That night has always felt different than the rest of the week anyway.

But there’s the problem, they barely do now. Plus, with Brooklyn Nine-Nine gone from Sunday nights you have three cartoons and The Orville. I guarantee you, the cartoons will be gone in a year.

Also, despite being under contract until 2022, you can’t doubt the realm of possibility that eventually FOX will outbid NBC for Sunday Night Football (noting their successful attempt to get Thursday Night Football). If that’s the case, NFL on FOX programming could largely run from 12pm until 11 or 11:30pm. And with the XFL coming back (and FOX getting cozy with Vince McMahon), that opens up Sunday nights to compete against SNF in the interim.

AT&T just took over WarnerMedia, trying to bolt another one of those onto it would be at best very risky - although there is a real risk of them getting lapped by merger fever like Westinghouse/CBS and every pre-GE owner of Universal was...

But there’s the problem, they barely do now. Plus, with Brooklyn Nine-Nine gone from Sunday nights you have three cartoons and The Orville. I guarantee you, the cartoons will be gone in a year.

probably more than that since a half hour of animation takes 9 months to produce and they all have multi year deals

Also, despite being under contract until 2022, you can’t doubt the realm of possibility that eventually FOX will outbid NBC for Sunday Night Football (noting their successful attempt to get Thursday Night Football).

don't rule out CBS either, or "ESPN on ABC"

probably depends on how much New Fox is willing to pay for them, and if there's room on ABC or NBC for them, they could all move to cable also

I think FOX can still pull off an all-animated Sunday night lineup. That night has always felt different than the rest of the week anyway.

possibly a reboot of The Critic which was cancelled since Sony, not Fox, owned it, or another toon from a non-Fox studio

Also, despite being under contract until 2022, you can’t doubt the realm of possibility that eventually FOX will outbid NBC for Sunday Night Football (noting their successful attempt to get Thursday Night Football). If that’s the case, NFL on FOX programming could largely run from 12pm until 11 or 11:30pm. And with the XFL coming back (and FOX getting cozy with Vince McMahon), that opens up Sunday nights to compete against SNF in the interim.

doubt the cartoons will be gone.

I hope Time Warner (and possibly soon to be AT&T) jumps into this bidding war somehow. What I can definitely see as a possibility is the Animation Domination block (or what’s left of it) getting moved to TBS or Adult Swim.

Let’s face it, FOX hasn’t produced a new cartoon for Sunday nights since the flops of The Cleveland Show, Borderland, and Alan Gregory. With this, shows that are long in the tooth will get cancelled (The Simpsons most likely will end their run after Season 30), Family Guy and Bob’s Burgers will move to TBS for first-run alongside American Dad! and have a second-run on Adult Swim. Family Guy likely has one more good season left before TBS could pull the plug, while Bob’s Burgers has at least a few more seasons. With more emphasis on sports and news programming, it’s highly unlikely the animated shows will survive.

If AT&T acquires anything from Fox, it'll come from the RSNs

Archived